It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wheelchair-Bound Woman Dies After Being Shocked With Taser 10 Times

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Wheelchair-Bound Woman Dies After Being Shocked With Taser 10 Times

news.yahoo.com

A Clay County woman's family said it's seeking justice after their loved one died shortly after being shocked 10 times with Taser guns during a confrontation with police.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What needs to be said?
A woman in a wheel chair + Tased 10 times = Death
Any questions?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
this is amazing....
cops gone wild with the tazers....maybe they couldn't cuff her so they had to subdue her....

gonna go read the story now

Officers said they arrived to find Delafield in a wheelchair, armed with two knives and a hammer. Police said the woman was swinging the weapons at family members and police.

Within an hour of her call to 911, Delafield, a wheelchair-bound woman documented to have mental illness, was dead.

hey, she had weapons...the cops job is to come home safe

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
There seems to be quite a rash of police abuse reports coming out lately. I'm sure the police have been abusing their power since the moment they got power, but it is good that the public is made aware of such abuses.

The question is, what can be done about it?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
According to a police report, one of the officers used her Taser gun nine times for a total of 160 seconds and the other officer discharged his Taser gun once for a total of no more than five seconds.

A medical examiner found Delafield died from hypertensive heart disease and cited the Taser gun shock as a contributing factor, the report said. On her death certificate, the medical examiner ruled Delafield's death a homicide.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^WOW

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Totally incredible. Two cops couldnt handle a mentally ill women in other ways than use the tazer until she dies.

Yeah, why do we dislike America... its a mystery!

Poor old lady, may god rest her soul.

Originally posted by Beachcoma
The question is, what can be done about it?

Get the students active. Spread flyers and information. Have demonstrations. Practice your rights. Bring video cameras. Heck, im motivated to come to one of those things after seeing the many cases about this, and Im not even in America.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Officers said they arrived to find Delafield in a wheelchair, armed with two knives and a hammer. Police said the woman was swinging the weapons at family members and police.

Within an hour of her call to 911, Delafield, a wheelchair-bound woman documented to have mental illness, was dead.

she was obviously asking for it. there are a certain set of standards you are expected to abide by when conducting yourself in public. She obviously didn't want to cooperate, and they had no choice.

i figured I'd say it before someone else did.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

hey, she had weapons...the cops job is to come home safe

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Boondock78]

IM sure the cops could have used another non-lethal way of subduing her. What ever happened to the mace can?

I think tazing the woman 9 times for 160 seconds is way over the top.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Why not just kick her out of her chair and let her tire herself out crawling around?

This is why I would rank the police dead last when considering how to protect myself in the world. If the cops dont show up too late to find your dead/raped/robbed corpse well then theyre sure to show up early and mess everything up anyway.

There's no such thing as cops anymore. Theyre just part of a federal system of storm troopers here to enforce unjust laws and made up statutes.

You trust these guys to keep your kids safe Boondock?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

yeah, walk up to the wheelchair bound grandma and get the weapons....these are 'trained officers'...they needed to give her the juice 10 times....

hell, why not just walk up from behind and dump her out of her chair...
that would have been mean(funny though) and she'd be alive with but a couple scrapes....

meh, give her the juice....better to be safe than sorry these days.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

You trust these guys to keep your kids safe Boondock?

i absolutely do not...
why do you ask that?

i have NO love for the cops man....
i don't trust anyone to protect my son but me...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Don't they train these police on how to safely use a taser? I can see where they're needed. It's a much better alternative than using a gun in most circumstances. But aparently a taser can take a life just as much as a gun can! I had no idea! I'm sure these cops didn't either. Wow, I feel so bad for that family.

And to taze her 10 times? 10 times? What kind of panicky cop is that? Sheesh! Can't even handle a situation without shocking the hell out of someone?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I saw this thread as being a pretty black and white "police brutality" case, as seems to be all too often the case nowadays.

But as the source says, she was armed, and pretty loco. This is no doubt due to her schizophrenia. I think the police surveyed that scene as a woman in blind rage, when in fact, the family only phoned as they could not calm her down themselves and she was acting out due to a mental illness.

Tazering was not the best option in this situation. The point, as far as I'm aware, of a tazer is to incapacitate a person. For example, man with a knife runs at you, tazer him, its a non-lethal (though evidently not) way of bring him down. However, this woman was already in a wheelchair, and was not likely to have any mobility therefore. She also did not have a firearm. The police could have pretty easily disarmed her, there being two of them wearing vests, or at least maced her.

So yes, whilst this wasn't the Police initiating euthinasia, they did act stupidily and should have dealt with her they way they would have prior to the tazers introduction.

[edit on 13/09/07 by Subcomandante]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Portable Electric chairs. She was executed by these cops. They should have pepper sprayed her.

A medical examiner found Delafield died from hypertensive heart disease and cited the Taser gun shock as a contributing factor, the report said. On her death certificate, the medical examiner ruled Delafield's death a homicide.

I guess its ok to execute the mentally challenged, without arrest a trial or a conviction. This is Stupid!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Well, I ask because you dont want your kids to arm themselves and you dont want their teachers to be armed so who's looking out for them? It would have to be the cops, right? Unless you hired some private security firm or follwed them everywhere.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
[sarcasm]
Again they probably followed training and will not be held liable, they probably said "stand up or we will taser you again"

She refused to comply with the orders so they kept tasering her. [/sarcasm]

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
ruled a homicide....
i hope they go to jail for a long, long time....

this stuff i getting out of hand...
i'm sorry, irate or not...going ballistic or not, the cops could have got the weapons...

dump her ass out of the chair, cuff her for safety and call the meat wagon to clean her scrapes then get her some help...

ya think?

what gets into these cops heads? i often wonder

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Well, I ask because you dont want your kids to arm themselves and you dont want their teachers to be armed so who's looking out for them? It would have to be the cops, right? Unless you hired some private security firm or follwed them everywhere.

when did i say i don't want my kids to arm themselves? i don't recall that...my son is 11. he does not need to arm himself at this time with anything than the fighting style that i, and ONLY i teach him....
you're right, i don't want the teachers to be armed...that don't mean i want the cops there protecting him....

why are you putting words in my mouth.?
who has been looking out for our kids at school since there have been modern schools?
the same incompetant people that always have been....teachers.
of course not all are whacked and actually want to educate but round here, it is scandal after scandal...

teachers getting down with students...when i was in school up here, one of the teachers was popped doing drugs in the boys bathroom.....

i barely trust most of these people to be there with my kid, no way i am going to when they have steel on their hip....it's just not going to happen.

my son knows how to defend himself and as he gets older, he will learn more....

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Get the students active. Spread flyers and information. Have demonstrations. Practice your rights. Bring video cameras. Heck, im motivated to come to one of those things after seeing the many cases about this, and Im not even in America.

Yeah? The following might happen:

Police break up anti-war meeting in Washington

Then you'll be reading a thread titled "Police break up anti-police meeting in Washington"

That'll be ironic.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Welcome to the new world of law enforcement.

You have a choice of actually taking real risks..preventing robberies,rapes ,burglaries..You know..your actual job description.. OR..

Take the well known route to getting up your required arrest rate by quelling free speech,beating old ladies with messy lawns and tackling those life threatening wheelchair bound crims.

In UK the favoured choice is spending all night in a car waiting to spot check people coming home from work in the early hours six times in two months.. without cause or charges pressed.
Hey it must be cold outside or something.

Boy,do we all sleep better knowing law enforcers are helping to make the world a safer place.Hail to those brave boys in blue

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join