It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The questioning begins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
My son just completed his first week at school. We were fearful that he would not adjust to the bus very well. Literally everywhere he has ever been has been with either his mother, or myself at the wheel. I am very glad to report that he did very well. Smiling and waving goodbye as the bus pulled away from the house! He loves school! The special program he is in is unbelievable. I can't find a single flaw.

So last night after story time my son asks me this.

"Daddy why is Charles different?" (Mind you, I've never met Charles.)

"What do you mean?"

"He looks different."

"How does he look different?"

"He's brown."

"He's just like you and me Dude."

"Why is he brown?"

"Well, what color is my hair?"

"Brown."

"What color is mommies hair?"

"Red"

"What color is your hair?"

"Mommy says it bond."

"Your hair is blonde, Buddy"

"Blonde?"

"Yep, it's blonde."

"So we all have different color hair right?"

"Uh-huh."

"Some people are short, some people are tall, and sometimes people have different color skin. But we're all the same on the inside"

"Oh."

"Do you like Charles?"

"Yep, he's my friend."

"That's great Buddy."

"Daddy, can we read the book again?"

"Absolutely. 'Once upon a time......' "

Absolutely pure innocence. If only the entire world could see things through the eyes of babes. Then there would be no hatred.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Aw buddy, everytime I read one of your posts...you make me smile..and brighten my day.Very good answer.You never know when your child will throw you a question like that out of the blue.You handled that perfectly.Your little dude is going to grow up to be a fine man because he had such a great daddy in his life.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Why is it everytime you speak of your child I do this-->

I love the father/son interactions that you share with us. Keep up the good work with raising the child. Sounds to me like your gonna have a real winner with a big heart....

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
my daughter started school a couple of weeks ago and she's had some similar conversations with me. She's been around "brown" people enough that she understands the difference (her nanny is "brown" and that is how she described it to my daughter). She did ask some strange questions about brown people having kids (she didn't think they could, even though we are friends with an african american family with two daughters, on her age - go figure) and she also told me she really likes the pasian girls that sit at her table.

pasian being asian. again, go figure.

what most confused her, however, were the parents. "daddy, Laywood's mommy is brown but his mommy is white" and then there was the reverse question for one of the girls in her class, who's mom is white, dad is african american.

I think they're just curious as, until now, they weren't overly exposed to differences in people.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I haven't had these issues, because of the urban environment I live in. My daughter's first preschool was mainly Hispanic and black, and her excellent private school was extremely racially mixed. Now she's in a school where it's mostly Hispanic and Asian. She doesn't even notice color.

But she still asks crazy questions. Mine just turned five and she wants to know when she can wear makeup to be beautiful. I have a lot of work to do teaching her that women are more beautiful without face paint.

The most embarassing question she's asked so far (loudly and pointing at the subject of it): Mommy, why is that lady so round?

me: Round? What?

Kid: She's so FAT!

:shk:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Yet again, you move us all with a great family story, are you getting devine intervention when you sit down and type your thoughts and feelings on your PC dude!!!! People like you are the reason I keep coming back here, Its like a being part of a world wide family.

new topics

top topics

join