It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jena Six Case Shows Black Teens Get Short End of Stick

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
And if hanging a noose from a tree is not a racially motivated crime, then I don't know what is.

White guy hangs a noose from a tree. Black guy beats the crap out a white guy.

Surely, those are comparable crimes, budski.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The fact that skin color is still something people find time to be angry about tells me people need to get a hobby or something. What a waste of life.
However, as long as race is made an issue (i.e. Donovan's look into being a black quarterback , instead of just being a quarterback) it will always be an issue. Let's face it. As long as there exists the stupid, the angry and the self-proclaimed victims...race issues will always be made by some into racist issues. It's naive to think that there will be a day with no bad people.

That being said, the law has to prosecute each act individually and they can't prosecute intent or thought. That's seems to be a bummer in this case, but it is a clause that helps prevent fascism.

It's a slippery slope for courts to justify acts based on the judges opinion of previous events. Unless previous events prove motive, alibi, or something pertinent to proving guilt or innocence it must not be taken into account.

For instance, the judge can't say that it's cool for me to slap a black guy, Asian guy, etc in the head with a bat if they have made racial insults to me prior to that act.

In my humble opinion, race shouldn't enter the court room. Prosecute the act based on evidence of whether or not the act was criminal and if the defendant was guilty.

Grandma was right...two wrongs don't make a right.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Did I say they were comparable?
No.
Please stop trying to draw conclusions on my behalf that I haven't made, nor ever would.

If you can't argue the point in question, why bother?
Why try to put words into someones mouth or try and twist what was posted?
Is this an attempt to belittle someone in order to make yourself feel better about your own shortcomings or that you have no case to argue?

If so, it kinda backfired

[edit on 20/9/2007 by budski]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by littlebro

You're absolutely right - race should not be an issue, but unfortunately in this case it became one through the actions of an over zealous prosecutor.

I hate injustice no matter where I see it, and that's why I feel strongly about this case.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

And the law doesn't take intent into account, it takes into account only what actually happened - in other words, intent does not enter into it.

I don't think they should get off, but I do think that they should receive the same punishment as everyone else for what was a relatively minor crime.
[edit on 20/9/2007 by budski]

Assault With Intent to Kill

Massachusetts General Law chapter 265 § 29:
(1) Assault, with
(2) specific intent to kill without malice.

Source

I'm sorry but intent DOES matter. Just google "law, intent, assault" and you'll find plenty. Now calling repeatedly kicking an unconscious person in the head a relatively minor crime, we'll just have to disagree.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I am unaware of how sentencing works in the US, but in the UK we have a minimum and maximum sentence for a crime.
In a huge majority of sentences passed a black guy will be sentenced to, and serve considerably more "time" than a white guy.

We can only hope that the current judges will be usurped by younger more intelligent and less biased people.

I think we are moving forward, but it is a slow and painful journey.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DiabolusFireDragon

i always thought that the details were in the intent...is that not how that get people on murder.....by proving they intended to kill?

maybe i am missing something......

i am not saying they jumped him with the intent to kill him but 6 on 1 does not show me the intent to just hurt him a little bit..

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DiabolusFireDragon

You can't possibly prove that there was intent to kill - they didn't use a weapon, or a firearm.
In the UK there is a law which is assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm - but usually there has to be a weapon involved.

This is all beside the point.
Fatc is, they've been treated differently because of their colour - and that's racist from the DA

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Racism's overrated.

That's all I can say.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Go back and read what I stated. I only corrected you're statement that intent has nothing to do with law. You clearly stated that "law doesn't take intent into account, it takes into account only what actually happened - in other words, intent does not enter into it."

Now, nowhere in my statement did I say these kids intended to "kill." I simply stated that INTENT does, indeed, play a role in law. I used the external quote that contained the "intent to kill" as an example to include "intent." Sorry if it came across differently.

[edit on 9/20/2007 by DiabolusFireDragon]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Fact is: Six black kids severly beat one white kid...that is fact. They did the crime and the charges should not be dropped. The nooses and black kid getting beat at a party have nothing to do with what the six black kids did to the one white kid. Sure they were wrong on both instances and it should be dealt with but it doe not change the FACT that they all beat one white kid. It happened!

The excuses are like:
If johnny jumped off a bridge???

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Did I say they were comparable?
No.
Please stop trying to draw conclusions on my behalf that I haven't made, nor ever would.

But it was rhetorically implied.

If you can't argue the point in question, why bother?

The fact that there's screaming about racism when a black guy is brought up on charges (which were reduced, apparently).

It's racism. Whether it's against those who are black, white, or anything else, it's racism.

Why try to put words into someones mouth or try and twist what was posted? Is this an attempt to belittle someone in order to make yourself feel better about your own shortcomings or that you have no case to argue?

Yes. This is a crusade to cover up my terrible insecurities.
Oh budski, I'm so cold.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Rhetorically implied?
so now you're telling me what I mean?

There was nothing implied in the statement apart from in your mind.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by I See You

Of course they should be punished, I never said any different - but let the punishment fit the crime, and lets have a level field for sentencing.
The kid was NOT severely beaten, I've posted a link to a pic of his injuries - it was little more than a playground fight, so to charge them with attempted murder was ridiculous and racist, simply because white kids weren't even arrested for similar crimes.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I think they should be charged and taken out of society,it's obvious it was racially motivated and it seems only ones who are charged with hate crimes are white people,seen it happen way too much,prison's are from criminals and thats where those kids belong

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

The charges have already been reduced, so if your still whining about this its clearly because you think the charges should be dropped totally or something along the lines of probation, and that is not going to happen. Just because a group shows up to try to intimidate the towns people into their way of thinking doesnt mean its going to happen. They will be tried for the lesser charges and hopefully they will be dealt with accordingly, and sorry to say that does not mean a slap on the wrist. Stop bringing up the original charges those are a non issue now, move on because the case has.

Stop trying to downplay what they did because they and the victim got lucky it got stopped when it did. Dont pussyfoot around this issue, they intended to hurt him, otherwise they could have let the toughest in the group take him 1 on 1, but no they decided to all 6 jump the kid and kick him while unconscious. Thats right he was unconscious so they did hit him enough to knock him out for a bit. Do they have pictures of the back of the guys head close up to see where the kick marks were? its obvious thats where he was kicked since his face wasnt as bad as it would have been if they did. Luckily this kid had a hard head, if this would have been a kid with a more delicate skull he could have died or been mentaly jacked up for life, again all parties just got lucky this wasnt the case.

If you want to shout about the injustice of the white kids punishment thats another issue and has NOTHING to do with this case. There is no doubt the justice system has its quirks and sometimes mistakes or bad choices are made(OJ comes to mind) but as a whole we cant give up on it and if the Jena 6 dont get the punishment they deserve, thats another notch on the "bad" choice mistake for the legal system and I thought thats what you wanted to avoid....

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

reply to post by I See You

The kid was NOT severely beaten, I've posted a link to a pic of his injuries - it was little more than a playground fight, so to charge them with attempted murder was ridiculous and racist, simply because white kids weren't even arrested for similar crimes.

i think the kid took a pretty good beating....just cause you saw pics of his face don't mean much...did you see pics of his entire body?

it was FAR more than a playground fight...you are trying to trivialize this.....back when i was in school, kids in plaground fights didn't go 6 on 1 and kids didn't get sent to the hospital with concussions afterwards...

you keep saying the it's racist cause the white kids were not arrested for similar crimes....what similar crimes?

in this debacle, did 6 whites jump a black kid and send him to the hospital?

ok then....it's nt similar then is it?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
they just arrested a 16 year old and an 18 year old down there.
they were driving their truck around with two nooses hanging off t back of their truck....driving round town.

possible charges of hate crime and inciting a riot....
as of just now....also, the 18 year old got dwi and contributing to a minor.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
they just arrested a 16 year old and an 18 year old down there.
they were driving their truck around with two nooses hanging off t back of their truck....driving round town.

possible charges of hate crime and inciting a riot....
as of just now....also, the 18 year old got dwi and contributing to a minor.

Wow. That town really is backward. If I were the black folks living there I'd just leave, and let them inbreed till they disappear.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Subcomandante

i was a bit mistaken when i said 'down there'.

this truck thing that just happened in alexandria LA...don't know how far that is from jena

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join