It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jena Six Case Shows Black Teens Get Short End of Stick

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

speaker, how did they nearly beat him to death?
he was out of hospital the same day, and went out that night to a party - doesn't sound like he as at deaths door to me.

these cases are touchy cause if you say the wrong opinion one way or the other, you get slammed...

imo, they did not almost beat him to death(i have read up on it a bit), BUT, how do we/they know that is not what they were trying to do?

6 on 1......?

i need to ask though, in other cases, does the 'events leading up to the crime' factor in?

i ask cause they keep talking about the noose' and the convenient store incident....

just want to know if it is common practice....

we are not talking 20 minutes before the beating but days.....

in reality, what is one supposed to call it when one kid gets beatdown by six others, getting kicked and such?
simple assault/battery?

i don't know

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
...Until the NCAA started. Now I believe their going to say hate crime.

You do mean the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and not the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), right?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by befoiled

OMG> Thankyou. Blush.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar

yes, I've been reading about that - and to me it is clear that this should have been classified as a hate crime from the start - a brutal, heinous hate crime.
It was the feds who didn't want to pursue the hate crime angle.

[edit on 20/9/2007 by budski]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

I understand what you're saying boondock, but it's pretty clear that the reason for the ambush was that the white kid was heard bragging about how one of the black kids had been "beaten up by a white guy" at a party.

First punch knocked him out (kinda) then there were a couple of kicks to the head - nasty, I know, but I saw far worse than this at school - seems to me that if they'd really wanted to hurt him badly, then they could have done, despite the fact that the "fight" got broken up pretty quickly.
It only takes a couple of seconds to really hurt someone if that is your intent.

This should have been dealt with as a misdemeanor, and a suspension with a slap on the wrist from the cops would have done the job - you know, just like the white kids got.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

It does not matter what others do or did.
It matters what "THEY" did or did not do.

I am sorry, but the "lame" excuse of others did-does not play.
They committed assault and battery on a person-they should go to jail because of that.
I don't care who is white/black/yellow or pink with purple Pokka dots-the law is the law (unless it is changed of course) and it applies to all no matter race/color or religion

Frankly, I am sick of Al Sharpton and Jessy J always defending someone “ONLY BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK"

Maybe if they got up and said we must all follow the law and set the example to follow instead of we are black, so we should get special treatment, not exact quote, but clearly what they mean/want.

You commit assault and battery, you go to jail. Period.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

And I agree, to an extent.
But the law should be the same for everyone, and in this and other cases it's clearly not - and that's why these activists get involved, and to be fair, they have a point.
I've posted lots of stuff on this thread to back up what I'm saying.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I understand what you're saying boondock, but it's pretty clear that the reason for the ambush was that the white kid was heard bragging about how one of the black kids had been "beaten up by a white guy" at a party.

oh, the white guy was saying one of them got beat up so they 'ambushed' him and it was only a 'couple' kicks to the head......thats fine then...

thats why i don't know what to call it....

ONE friggin kick to your dome can kill you or seriously mess you up...absolutely...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
they still keep talking about the noose'...every 5 minutes....

they're saying how horrible it is that they hang symbols of black pepole getting lynched....

thats what i keep hearing....

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I know it's nasty, but I was replying to your point about the party, grocery store incidents etc being several days earlier - the fact that they heard the guy talking about one of them getting beat up was what seemed to lead to the beating.

And yes, one kick can kill - but it's got to be a real hard one. I've had it done to me and it's not nice - although I must have a thick skull or something, cos it just made me mad
and this was after the guy took a run up for the kick.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
they still keep talking about the noose'...every 5 minutes....

they're saying how horrible it is that they hang symbols of black pepole getting lynched....

thats what i keep hearing....

Yeha, that's pretty nasty - frankly though, I'm more concerned about the guns that were used to threaten - and the fact that the guy who took the gun away was charged with robbery.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Bud, the issue is simple and it seems we agree on it.

They committed assault and battery and need to go to jail, and all the but he /she did or did not...does not matter.

You are not responsible for others actions or reaction, you are ONLY responsible for your actions or reactions.

My big point is they should NOT be let off or get easier charges due to being black-simple

Justice is supposed to be blind, why don't al and jessy say that crime is wrong and they are wrong for doing it-nah.

I also wonder if they (al and jessy) could almost be charged with inciting or trying to incite a riot???

I want all race/religion removed from court justice. The ONLY things that need be discussed is
1) Did they do it; I believe we all agree they did no question.
2) What punishment comes for committing that crime(s)-let them be punished accordingly?

[edit on 9/20/2007 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Yes, we agree that they need to be punished.
It's the level of punishment (where the DA wanted to try them as adults for attempted murder) and the fact that it's not a level field when it comes to punishing white offenders for the same kind of crimes.
Black people invariably receive stiffer sentences for the same crimes as white people - and that's just wrong.
This case is but one example of it.

Yes, punish these kids by all means - but punish all others who commit the same crime, in the same way, that's my point and the point of this thread

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Yeha, that's pretty nasty - frankly though, I'm more concerned about the guns that were used to threaten - and the fact that the guy who took the gun away was charged with robbery.

i agree here.

i do think you are downplaying getting kicked in the head let alone by more than one person...you had it happen to you and it just made you mad.....so friggin what? you get people bouncing leather off your head, you could get messued up....

i still don't see how the comment is relevent to the beating....

kid heard the dude say someone beat him up so they decided to 'ambush'....

"lets ambush him and get him on the ground and then kick him in the head several times"....

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Oh, I'm not downplaying it - it just seems that he wasn't very badly hurt, although he COULD have been. But it seems there was no real intent or planning to try and mess the guy up - just a lot of anger that overflowed and lead to a lot of nasty incidents, most of them before the beating took place, and aimed at the black kids in a racially motivated way.

This is not to excuse what they did.
But I still believe some of the white guys should have been charged with crimes as well - after all, what's threatening someone with a gun?
And if hanging a noose from a tree is not a racially motivated crime, then I don't know what is.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Oh, I'm not downplaying it - it just seems that he wasn't very badly hurt, although he COULD have been. But it seems there was no real intent or planning to try and mess the guy up - just a lot of anger that overflowed and lead to a lot of nasty incidents, most of them before the beating took place, and aimed at the black kids in a racially motivated way.

This is not to excuse what they did.
But I still believe some of the white guys should have been charged with crimes as well - after all, what's threatening someone with a gun?
And if hanging a noose from a tree is not a racially motivated crime, then I don't know what is.

i don't think he was actually hurt very bad either BUT, do you think the kids that jumped him ambushed him with the intent to kick his head to the ground and not hurt him 'very much'?
i agree with the anger overflowing too but then again, can that be used as an excuse? people want the same everywhere so next time i get pissed at my neighbor for a series of crap and i go lay one on him, i can say i was angry, no big?.......

i agree whoever pulled the gun should have been charged too.....

and in the end, you're back to the noose' as well

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

No excuses - it just seems a little harsh for them to be charged initially with attepted murder.
And it seems very unfair that none of the white kids were charged with anything.

And yeah - I just can't get away from the noose thing.
You have to admit that given the circumstances and history in that part of the US it was a pretty bad thing to do.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This is just classic.

I was talking to someone about this case and all the thousands of protestors that have arrived.

If all those people have nothing better to do with there time, why don't they help rebuild the devastated new Orleans area instead of trying to get CRIMINALS to be set free JUST because they are black

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   

To me, it's not about setting them free - just about them being charged with a realistic crime.
I keep coming back to the same thing in the OP.
If 2 offenders are the same age, same kind of background etc and both commit the same crime but one is white and one black, the black offender is much more likely to receive a hefty custodial sentence. This just isn't right.
All offenders should be punished equally and that's just not happening.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

No excuses - it just seems a little harsh for them to be charged initially with attepted murder.
And it seems very unfair that none of the white kids were charged with anything.

And yeah - I just can't get away from the noose thing.
You have to admit that given the circumstances and history in that part of the US it was a pretty bad thing to do.

seems like the first part is an excuse to me....
yup, hanging the noose' was a pretty crappy thing to do. i agree.
now you want to get back to the beating of the kid or what?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join