It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Cartoon No Joke to Iranians

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Depicting a nation as a sewer overflowing with cockroaches is pretty offensive frankly. A good cartoon is supposed to be witty, appropriate and clever....... that cartoon possesses none of the aforementioned. It reminds me of Korean children drawing pictures of Japan and the Japanese, but with less explosions and piles of dead Japanese. This cartoonist's attempt at political humour is genuinely pathetic, he may as well've drawn a turd and stuck an Iranian flag in it.

In response to chickeneater's "expert" opinion:
I've spent less time in Iran since the revolution, and the culture has changed dramatically on the surface. In private, and amongst friends, you see a very different side than the one we're exposed to on TV. Iranian women are friendly and extremely well educated (granted, the nomads aren't quite as sophisticated as their city dwelling kin). Women in Iran hold many beaurocratic positions and several hold positions in parliament. The national "Women's Day" is still celebrated (another Zoroastian tradition still kept alive even with a fundamentalist Islamic government). There is a national Women's football team, who unfortunately can only play when the crowd are all women! They are also extremely active in campaigning against their lesser status.

Whilst I do not have a high opinion of their fundamentalist government, we have to remember that the Shah was something of a brute and ruled by terror (using his US trained SAVAK). But we in the west are reaping what we have sown, if we hadn't deposed and executed Mossadegh (a popular and democratically elected leader) then it's unlikely that there would be a fundamentalist government in Iran today.

apc

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
It's an OP/ED piece! Who cares?!

You wouldn't believe (well... you might) some of the crap that gets published in my local Kansas City Red Star editorial section. At least they attempt on some level to keep their radical left wing garbage out of the rest of the paper... attempt...

This bickering over an opinion is the exact same nonsense that had idiots rioting over Mohammad cartoons. Jeebus grow up people!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

I wasn’t talking to you at all....I was laughing at you....as you have giving me this right so kindly.

No of course I want talking to you...i said that this post was reflecting this article...if you read the article you will see that it doesn't concern what you wrote.

Kacou.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

You like it?

You like hatred of other people that have the same flesh and blood as yourself? Why? Because of government propaganda?

What has an Iranian ever done to you personally for you to be spreading this racist and insulting cartoon around as if it were a disease?

don't play the game with me....i said i can laugh at ALL races, colors, creeds, etc.....
i like things that make me laugh....that cartoon made me laugh......i am irish and i laugh at irish cartoons too.

i am not spreading this out like it is a disease...i am spreading it out like it is a funny cartoon...just like i spread the first mohommad one with the bomb in his wrap, just like i spread the one that showed him with a male * on his head.....

it is what it is...

want to think i am a racist cause i think this cartoon is funny? thats fine...you are allowed....luckily for me, what you think of me does not effect my life...
i know the truth. i am no racist...i am also not uptight...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I see the pathetic minority are out again spouting there drivel in regards to their opinions of Iran and the Muslim faith. Maybe if you got of your own arse and made something of your lives you wouldn't harbor so much hate towards other people. If you have a problem with the world maybe you should look closer to home instead of taking it out on people who have never done a thing to you apart from being different. Some of you obviously don't know the word tolerance and tarnish everybody with the same brush.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by paul76

why do people get tripped out?
it's a cartoon....what does any of that have to do with making something of your life and blah blah.....?
nothing at all.

some people have a pretty far out sense of humor...i am one of them...
thats not illegal....
i don't hate anyone but i do want to be left alone by everyone....

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I love humor, but not when it's insulting to other people. If you do, then it's your problem.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
What was that Sticks and Stones thing we learned as kids?

A NATION is going to get mad over NAME CALLING?

Some humans may live to be over 100 years old, but MANKIND needs to GROW UP.

Even Bush is more mature than that. People have made thousands of jokes about him, and you don't see him flying off the handle. He's got more important things on his mind.

Stuff like Iraq is important to Bush. I hear he held his breath for four whole minutes in order to get permission from daddy to invade Iraq.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by LazyGuy]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I love humor, but not when it's insulting to other people. If you do, then it's your problem.

seems like it is your problem the way you are soming across.

i don't have a problem with my humor or what i laugh at at all. not in the least...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LazyGuy

these days though, cartoons against islam, muslims, the prophet, allah, etc are basically forbidden these days...
in some time it will be something else....

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   

1) Did any other repressed sole in here (besides myself) look at the orginal picture and think, hey 'private parts'?
2) I also couldnt seem to find any roaches drawn over Israel ?
3) Isn't Ohio Bush country?

[edit on 20-9-2007 by scrapple]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This, like the Denmark cartoon is much ado about nothing.

The United States did not draw the cartoon. An "artist" did.

Denmark did not draw that other cartoon. An "artist" did.

Just because Denmark and the US allow people to publish such things without beheading them does not mean that blame should be put on the nations.

The Denmark cartoon riots were a fiasco that was completely uncalled for. So is most of the response to this one.

This is "art". You know what, I didn't appreciate when that guy smeared crap all over a picture of the Virgin Mary. Nor did I appreciate the guy who put a cross in a vat of urine.

For that matter I don't find the Denmark cartoon or this one to be the slightest bit funny. But that's my opinion.

You don't think it's funny, write a letter. Tell the "artist" that you found his work offensive. The fact does not change that the US does not censor these things and will not, no matter how many people it makes cry. In my local NY papers alone there's usually one cartoon a day depicting Bush as a chimp, Kerry as a horseface, Thompson as a fat idiot, and yeah I bet that pisses people off. You hate it, speak up, maybe don't buy the paper that printed it. That's your choice.

Trying to make this into a "look, the US hates Muslims" the same way hatemongering losers made it into "Denmark hates Muslims" to incite riots is a waste of everyone's time.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
i dont agree with it but...

its free speech

he has every right to draw it as anyone else does

why is everyone hating on free speech anyways?

theres ppl in here saying he shouldnt be allowed to say/draw that!

What if they start saying we shouldnt be allowed to be on ATS anymore?

Don't be ridiculous, you can say whatever you want as long as it agrees with the leftists.

As to the cartoon, meh, whatever. I don't think it is that clever and I don't really see the racism in it - I have never heard anyone (or heard OF anyone) refer to Persians as cockroaches.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by Marid Audran]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Gee do you think the artist will be attacked like the last insulting cartoon?I hope iran doesnt send a hit squad over!!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

As for that cartoon. It's damn insulting, and ignorant and tells you much more about the idiot who drew it than Iranians.

Unlike, say,

this:

this,

this,

this,

Which were all just as progressive as the initial Holocaust Cartoon Contest Iran held -- something to bridge relations and help spur love of one another, unlike this vile filth coming out of California.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Things like that and the cover of NY daily news stating Iran president can go to hell or whatever because he wants to visit WTC site. Which by the way he legally can it was strictly construction that doesn't allow some area acsess.

Anyway its just fueling the beast on both sides. One says this, the other says that and it begins and grows and grows until one little peron becomes a bigger man and says wait a minute can we just talk a bit.

Communication can go far...BOTH ways.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   

"It's very sad that American media have come down to such a level and there is no public outcry of the American public against these types of cartoons or this type of dehumanization of an entire nation," Sheikholeslami said.

I couldn't agree more...
As some posts in this thread prove.

Political Cartoons really are a powerful form of propaganda. They're simple enough for simple minded people to understand. Once they get into their heads, it's a picture that colors the way they feel about thing.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
This, like the Denmark cartoon is much ado about nothing.

The United States did not draw the cartoon. An "artist" did.

Denmark did not draw that other cartoon. An "artist" did.

Just because Denmark and the US allow people to publish such things without beheading them does not mean that blame should be put on the nations.

The problems is that the newspaper paid the artist to do the cartoon. Often the artist is told what his cartoon should be about, then scurries off to produce something the editor will accept. Usually he presents several rough drafts for different ideas and the editor picks one for him to complete.

This isn't like an independent artist doing something on his own for the sake of the "art". This is a media company paying someone to produce a statement about the world.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Actually I think this one is pretty good. Another take on the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"

Funny? Maybe not. True? If you think about the apathy plaguing America... Insulting? Only if you're a flag-waving idiot who doesn't want to see, doesn't want hear and doesn't want to speak out on the evils plaguing your country.

My 0.02 Euro (hehehe)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join