It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Cartoon No Joke to Iranians

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   

US Cartoon No Joke to Iranians

www.atimes.com

BERKELEY, California - As the war of words between Western nations led by United States and Iran's hardline government over its nuclear program has escalated in the past few weeks, a cartoon published on the editorial page of the Columbus Dispatch on September 4 has created a furor among Iranians worldwide.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.atimes.com
www.progressohio.org

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
If you go to the 2nd additional news link you can see the cartoon in question.

On one hand I don't understand the uproar over cartoons, considering some of the hateful cartoons I have seen produced in the Middle East.

On the other, I don't see how these types of cartoons do anything but foster hatred.

www.atimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Just more propaganda to further reinforce the connection,

Middle Eastern=Scum/terrorist/degenerate.

It's disgusting, blatant racism and shouldn't be allowed in any form.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
So now they're going to launch a jihad over this:

It doesn't even show Muhammad. :shk:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

It enrages them well because it is stereotyping.

First of all, most Iranians, if I recall, actually do not like their leader. They say he doesn't do anything for their country like he promised, he just focuses his time on making statements against the US and Israel.

And well, to be honest, Iran doesn't really breed terrorism. Firstly, it is Shiite. Al Quaeda is extremist Sunni. You do the math.

So even if an Iranian is not supportive of their current leader/government, such a cartoon would infuriate them.

It has little to nothing to do with their religion. It is just their country.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Worth showing once more, an art indeed.

Great graphic sensibility, stark yet dynamic, a great combo of line drawing of a mideast map and gritty photograph of a drain.

Powerful.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Ugh...it is not insulting their government, it is insulting their entire country and culture.

If someone did a cartoon equivilent of that about my country regarding the Bush Administration I would be fuming. I don't like Bush, but it would still enrage me.

Attack a country's government, fine. But attack the culture and the whole country itself? That I will not do unless part of it is extremely deplorable such as Saudi Arabia's chauvinistic sexist culture and whatnot.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Their culture involves woman like you to be quiet and do as men say. Respect that?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by chickeneater
Their culture involves woman like you to be quiet and do as men say. Respect that?

Hmm, if I recall, they are more liberal than that.

Also I am not a woman.

I recall seeing Iranian women, while they were wearing Hijabs, they were trained as security.

However, you might be right.

[edit on 9/19/2007 by Kacen]

apc

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   

There is a word in this image. A very special, important word. A word that when read should invoke a level of understanding among those in possession of such scarce faculties as common sense.

That word is OPINION.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I think it's a pretty good cartoon. Good concept & realisation.

Seems to me, the same cartoon could be drawn with the roaches scuttling out of the USA or Israel. Or Russia. Anywhere but New Zealand, because south Auckland has no roaches.

Fuggle Hop

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Hmm... Decently drawn. Opinion is well noted. The bugs are scuttling about in ALL directions. I have a feeling if an Iranian would have drawn this image of the U.S, we would have given them the same response. In fact, ever since 1950 (when our economy was decided to be fueled by war) we've cherry picked everything to cause more grief for ourselves and others. Should that be the way of things? Probably not. But it doesn't matter.

Anyways, I highly doubt anything will come of this. It's just one of those things we'll have to pile up until there's a critical breaking point. Where the U.S or Iran jumps the gun and goes all out.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by chickeneater

Have you ever met an Iranian before?? If not, don't claim to know what their culture is.

As for that cartoon. It's damn insulting, and ignorant and tells you much more about the idiot who drew it than Iranians.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Pathetic example of hate mongering.

I thought cartoons were supposed to embody humor. The only thing funny about this is that someone actually thought it would be a good idea to draw it in the first place.

I sure hope I never bump into the 'artist' in the pub - must be a particularly nasty human specimen or a dreadful bore!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I also think it is damn insulting.

What is the message of this cartoon?

People living in Middle East - you know those MUSLIMS - are roaches?

And I bet Americans are the exterminators.

I guess human ignorance is also infinite.

Alongside with human stupidity.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
i like it....

spreading it around as we type

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Your post reflect exactly what the article "Iran: made satanic before what?" is saying.
www.voltairenet.org...
It is interesting to see how slowly the media is trying to stereotype Iran as an evil state that is growing rapidly to disturb the "world Peace".
Did we have this kind of rhetoric before? Yes we did...that was for Irak.
Funny enough after the article is a guy there ( French) Pierre Lellouche that respond to it. This guy was criticizing Chirac for not help America to go to war. I remember seeing him on TV and trying to convince the French public that Saddam had capability to nuclear and many WMD.
Now he comes back with the same argument against Iran...don't you hate it when it happen again...same S****T different day.

Kacou.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
i dont agree with it but...

its free speech

he has every right to draw it as anyone else does

why is everyone hating on free speech anyways?

theres ppl in here saying he shouldnt be allowed to say/draw that!

What if they start saying we shouldnt be allowed to be on ATS anymore?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

you talking to me[travis bickle/]

i like to laugh. i think that pic is funny.
it's pretty simple....i can laugh at all races, creeds, colors. types, etc etc....

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

You like it?

You like hatred of other people that have the same flesh and blood as yourself? Why? Because of government propaganda?

What has an Iranian ever done to you personally for you to be spreading this racist and insulting cartoon around as if it were a disease?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join