It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honour Killers get Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Honour Killers get Life

news.bbc.co.uk

A grandmother who ordered the so-called "honour killing" of her daughter-in-law has been jailed for life.

Bachan Athwal and her son Sukhdave, 43, arranged the murder of Surjit Athwal, 27, who vanished during a trip to India in 1998, the Old Bailey heard.

Bachan, 70, and her son, both of Hayes, west London, were found guilty of murder in July.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
A horrible crime where the mother in law of a young woman ordered her killing - allegedly to protect the family honour.
The victim was allegedly having an affair, so in order to protect the "good family name" she was murdered during a trip to India, on the orders of her 70 year old mother in law.

There are no words I can use here that adequately reflect my horror and disgust at this heinous crime - they would have got away with it if the mother in law hadn't started bragging about it, and then been turned in by other family members.

It's about time these so called honour killings were stamped out - they have nothing to do with culture and everything to do with evil people. The honour excuse just doesn't wash, it's murder, plain and simple.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
i can't get my head around the mentality of anybody who can see murder as a good thing and an affair as a bad thing (in this context). do they actually feel honoured to have a murderer for a relative? i know which i would rather be related to.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Wow... sounds like my ex-wife's family!
Well except they didn't kill anybody (that I know of).

It's like a mafia thing... you don't dare bring a bad name to 'the family', otherwise you end up sleeping with the fishes!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Okay, I can see how having an affair in the family would be a bit of an embarrassment, but wouldn't having a murder in the family be a thousand times worse? I realize it's a different culture, but I just don't get how this is supposed to help. I'm just glad they actually got these murderers put behind bars. Too often, people in these sorts of cases just walk.

new topics

top topics

join