It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No such thing as a draft, when the economy crashes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
So, the economies crashed, and Irans been pummelled by missiles/bombs in an unprovoked attack, Syria and Israel go at it, while Iran pummels Iraq.
You’re at home...
You’ve lost your job because of the economic crash, and the banks are going to foreclose your home, as you cant pay your hefty mortgage.
Your hungry, there's bills, and your children are looking at you, asking where your going to live...

But, in the spirit of keeping society happy, your government has proposed to pay your monthly mortgage, pay your bills and supply a weekly food ration, so long as you join up and fight for your country.

What would you do?

Fight an illegal war to feed your family a government ration
or
do it like the 20's/30's survivors, and figure it out on your own?

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There is a reason informed people around here keep hard currencies, arms, and food supplies.

Doesn't this place have a survivalist forum for that reason?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Stock market went up 300+ points yetserday and 75+ today and we're closing back in on 14,000. Amazing.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I think that rather than giving up to a corrupted government and an illegal war people will raise against the government, remember the Iraqi war is very unpopular right now, people are fed up with a congress that after been changed by voters is not doing what the majority wants.

US is a very armed country by population, I will say that we will use our constitutional rights and change the regime, rather than die for something we do not believe in, at least the majority/ feels that way.

This administration attacks Iran and Bush will be force to step down.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Um yeah lets do away with a government that lets us choose what we want to do for a living, say what we want to say, have websites such as this one, provides welfare for its citizens and replace it with WHAT?

I want ALL the Iran supporters out there to know that if you were in that country and they actually had a website such as this one, you would be beheaded for the same things you speak freely about your own government.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

OH SO THATS A legitimate reason to attack a country now? Great. Good stuff. This is a hopeless debate. You're always gonna have your gun-ho captain America, lets fix the world because I'm better than you, and we are never going to learn how to mind our own business, its inevitable people, don't you see?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
OH SO THATS A legitimate reason to attack a country now? Great. Good stuff. This is a hopeless debate. You're always gonna have your gun-ho captain America, lets fix the world because I'm better than you, and we are never going to learn how to mind our own business, its inevitable people, don't you see?

Yep. And your always gonna have the "Iran is great", "Hezbollah and Hamas are the real victims" and the "Al Queda is just fighting for freedom" attitude too arent you? Pretty much sums it up. I live in the greates nation on earth and i love it. Too bad you dont. Have a nice night-thanks for playing. Im sure there are countries in the middle east that would just LOVE to have you come over.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

Yep. And your always gonna have the "Iran is great", "Hezbollah and Hamas are the real victims" and the "Al Queda is just fighting for freedom" attitude too arent you? Pretty much sums it up. I live in the greates nation on earth and i love it. Too bad you dont. Have a nice night-thanks for playing. Im sure there are countries in the middle east that would just LOVE to have you come over.

Wow, you are really out there bud, I am not saying that I support crazy Islamics, I am just saying I don't support invading a country with no justification.

I should add that just b/c there ARE crazy religious fanatics within the countries you mentioned doesn't mean we have to invade the entire country and kill thousands of innocent civilians just to fight these regimes. I believe this is something that needs to be sorted out by time not violence that will only escalate the entire situation.

Back on topic to the original post. Since I for one am not in debt and have no kids, I for one would not be subject to such corrupt persuasion.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Techsnow]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
If I won't fight for this country I should find one I would fight for.
Anyone agree??

I imagine there has to be at least one country you would fight for it and it's values, no?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Work for yourself and your own rights. When you have those, help others. That's much better than fighting for some country that doesn't really care about you.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

In the event that this likely scenario plays out, I'm sorry folks but I would sell myself out to support my family. Yes I would choose to fight an illegal war to support and keep my family secure. You raise an interesting question and scenario. Be it that many survived on nothing short of blood and sweat during the depresion era, but this is an entirely different day and age with unique problems to face.
Many that survived the dpression came away with a new outlook on life, and thankfullness for what they had,and gained a respect for hard work and making it on your own. Sure one can argue that some good did come out of the depression, but as I stated previously the challenges of today's society are far different than what many of our grandparents had to endure.

First off the population in 1930 was 122,775,046 source
Today the population is roughly 300 million. The demand for resources is far greater now than in the 20-30's. Today we rely on far more exports than we did 70-80 years ago. Not to mention today's society clearly is one that has lost respect for others. It is trully IMO a dog eat dog world.
I am far from a history scholar or expert on the depression, but my Grandfather/mother were survivers of the depression. I sat with him many a night where he would tell me stories of the way life was for them and many of the things they had to do to survive and endure. It was a very humbling experience that I will never forget, and I assure everyone that if I had the power to ensure that my family would be well off i am going to make that desicion.
It all seems fine now as we sit in front of our computer screens in our heated or air conditioned residence. But when they shut off the electricity and gas, and there is no food in the cupboard what are we going to do? That is until they kick us out of our homes as well because we couldn't pay the morgtage. Now what are we going to do. Survival? I am an avid outdoors man as well as former military. I feel pretty confident that i could survive on my own. No doubt. However, I may be able to survive , but what about my family. I live in an area where there is plenty of timber wildlife and fish that could be harvested to feed us. But we are not talking about a localized event. Most if not all of us in this area would be competing for the same resources and hunting grounds. Sounds pretty primitive does it not? I know most people are going to say" ya but you could plant a garden and such". True but where? We have no home or property anymore.

Originally posted by AwakeAndAllSeeing
There is a reason informed people around here keep hard currencies, arms, and food supplies.

Yes I have all of the above. However how long do you think all that will last. I don't know your situation but personally i could only support my family and I, 3-4 months without a regular income. And that's only relative to today's current economic status. Boost the interest rates and jack up inflation and that 3-4 months would probably be cut in half. Unless you re-load your own ammunition, what happens when you run out of ammo? As well as powder and bullets for re-loading?

Also I will point out that their was no current war at the time that the United States was involved in. IMHO, if the men and women of that generation were given the decision the OP has suggested, I feel confident saying that a majority would choose the survival of their family over worrying over politics and whether or not the reasons for the war is a just cause.

good thread

new topics

top topics

join