It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Super Earth? Gliese 581 C

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Check out the following article from Space.com.

www.space.com...

Could this be the planet that will change our outlook of the universe?
Sceintists believe Gliese 581 C could harbor Extraterrestrial life

Interesting to say the least.

Toogood

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Guess this wasn't interesting for anybody.

Sorry.

Toogood

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Wow Sounds like a second chance after we destroyed our own earth. Nice find - would be great to learn more about it

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Maybe more replies if it was in the space exploration thread - interesting though, none-the-less. How far is it from our sun? Is it just outside of our solar system or in another galaxy altogether?

Peace

dAlen

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
Maybe more replies if it was in the space exploration thread - interesting though, none-the-less. How far is it from our sun? Is it just outside of our solar system or in another galaxy altogether?

20.5 light years from here--close by galactic standards. Temperature betweeen 32 and 104 degrees farenheit (0-40 C). As the article states, "Mark this one with an "X"

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ntenzpunishment
Wow Sounds like a second chance after we destroyed our own earth. Nice find - would be great to learn more about it

Agreed assuming its not allready advancedly inhabited. I wonder if the evolution process even operates the same there as here on earth. Very interesting read and flagged.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

20.5 light years from here--close by galactic standards. Temperature betweeen 32 and 104 degrees farenheit (0-40 C). As the article states, "Mark this one with an "X"

thanks for the info.

Yeah, this place really sounds good...has water (some form of liquid anyway from what I skimmed in the article.) And the temperature, sounds more than doable...wonder about the air mixture (oxygen ratios, etc.)

Oh, and theres the one small thing...how to successfully make a 20.5 light year trip.

Peace

dAlen

[edit on 24-9-2007 by dAlen]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Very cool find. If only we had the technology to send a probe of some sorts to see if their is life on this planet. This may mess up its evolution process if it crashes and I believe that is a violation of galactic law(speculation)Instead one can only use our imagination for the time being. One day mankind will find out how to conquer the vast distances in space, too bad I'll be dead by then

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
Oh, and theres the one small thing...how to successfully make a 20.5 light year trip.

Time to make a space ark and take a few generations to get there if necessary. We've got to get out of this solar system. One drawback to this planet is 1.5x the earth, 5x the mass. I wonder if anyone could stand up on the surface?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Found a short video with artists impression on what Gliese 581 C looks like
and shows its orbit around its Star.

Link:
www.space.com...

top topics

join