It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Food storage/supply

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Hello members, moderators and guests! I am new here. I think forward of having a great time here. If you still have more knowledge about food storage. Please post it here. Thanks!

emergency food supply

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Most MRE type foods are good for 3 to 5 years or so, but whole grains beans, rice, wheat can be good for 20 -30 years and up.
Plus you won’t have all of the processed garbage that comes with them.
Remember the Military Motto “The Lowest Bidder”.
Beans and rice although could get tiring after awhile, WILL SAVE YOU FROM STARVATION. Just get some vitamin C supplement tablets.
Salt, sugar, flour Etc. staple type foods do well over the long term.
And all of the things I have mentioned are easy to get and relatively cheap too, just go to a restaurant supply store.
That’s just my angle use it if you want discard if not.

(Edit) Ooh I forgot oatmeal. good stuff.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by g146541]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Stocking up on food is good. However, recently I had a thought. Why not buy protein powder as well for protein shakes. We all need protein to gain strength. Plus in protein powder, there are tons of other vitamins that help out. I would recommend getting a couple big jars of those as well. And a water filter if you plan on going to the woods like I am if stuff goes down. Plus protein powder lasts so long. I bought some in 06/07(not for survival purposes) and it doesnt expire until 2012(go figure)
But normal food is great and tasty

[edit on 21-6-2010 by Destiny Curious]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I would honestly thought that the best foods for 'survival foods' type is to grow (planting) your own foods.

Oh! for a "survival life/shtf life"... What kind of neighbours would also have a some what of a prepared survival foods situation/event.

What if your neighbours DO want to trade for food/items?

@@@ Also - Make sure you DO have solarpanels and the solarpanel kit all there up and ready for use. Just in case if you have to use it for the survival/shtf event. And, if your neighbours would want to use the (extra?) electricity supply.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

Yes I agree to grow your own food and hunt would be best, but I'm just looking at the "I NEED TO FEED MY FAMILY NOW" thought.
Hence the dried staple type food, but yep veggies is great too.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Yes I agree to grow your own food and hunt would be best, but I'm just looking at the "I NEED TO FEED MY FAMILY NOW" thought.
Hence the dried staple type food, but yep veggies is great too.

Have you asked the indigenous people of the area for their advice? for the event of "I Need To Feed My Family Now." Simply "Because Of" the indigenous people didn't have canned and processed foods back in the past...

[edit on 21-6-2010 by gordonwest]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Nope sure didn’t never thought about it actually.
But I guess I would be the closest to indigenous peoples there would be.
The US wiped out the originals a long time ago.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Nope sure didn’t never thought about it actually.
But I guess I would be the closest to indigenous peoples there would be.
The US wiped out the originals a long time ago.

You can check on-line on the Internet, about how do Indigenous people survive (the past)... I honestly think that the information will be and can be useful. *shrugs*

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Buy a vacuum sealer, some mylar bags and some oxygen absorbers. Total cost: 75.00.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Someone has probably already said, "store what you eat and eat what you store." This is the golden rule of food storage... basically, buy extras of whatever you normally buy at the grocery store.. canned beans, soup, rice, etc.

I am sure you have a Costco in Canada, right? They have all those things in bulk. I know some of the ones here carry emergency food buckets... maybe one in your area would too.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by LizzyQ]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I keep about a year's worth of protein powder and oatmeal (complex carbohydrates) on stock around here. Along with about a year's worth of vitamins/supplements. That, in conjunction with my vegetable garden, should suffice in a short-term SHTF scenario.

Oh, water too....or water purifier w/extra filters.

There is an initial cost up front in order to stock up, but once you do, then use the stuff you bought and then restock as you use it....always using the oldest stuff first.

I know I will get LOL'd at for this one, but I keep an extra years worth of dog food on stock too...after all, he is our (me and my wife) companion, early warning system and deterrent.

ETA:

I also have about a year's worth of pistachio, almonds & walnuts as well (for the essential dietary fat).

So I have my protein, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats and vitamins/minerals.

Of course I have tons of other items as well....but those listed above would be my staple diet.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Here's some great info/resources from the LDS church (Mormons)

lds.about.com...

lds.about.com...

www.providentliving.org...

mormonism.suite101.com...

www.survivalblog.com...

Also some important tips:

No-Power grain mill! Storing wheat is great and economical, till TSHTF and you are trying to grind your grain with a couple rocks.
Learn to can for yourself! My grandma did it, my mom did it, and in hard times opening a jar of fresh-canned peaches or whatnot would be a HUGE morale booster! You would appreciate the time invested in this skill.
Dehydrating and sealing is also a super cheap way to go, buy fruits in season when they are cheap and store em away.
SEEDS. If you are serious about a long term survival plan, you have to have seeds. Don't go with cheap seeds, ensure you are storing quality organic seeds, if the year turned into two or three finding out you got some Mosanto POS seeds that won't germinate would really, really blow.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

Great info.. the LDS church is world wide.. give them a call and find out if they have a cannery nearby where you can get food from. We have LDS food storage and it is pretty good quality.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
We kind of inadvertently became preppers.

We buy things when they are on sale and stock up. We date and put the items in our pantry.

We could easily go three months or so without even trying.

My advice, is to come up with a list of supplies you think that you would want. Start accumulating those things. Be sure to eat the oldest food first and keep replenishing the cupboard. Pretty soon, you'd be surprised at how much food you have on hand.

It also becomes part of your lifestyle. When something that you consume on a regular basis goes on sale, but a case or two. Date the cases and then enjoy. If no disaster ever happens.... Great. You're purchasing what you like and eat anyway. If a disaster happens, you're better prepared then most people.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I went to a food dist. warehouse and purchased 50 pound bags of rice, oatmeal, flour etc for very cheap. I then put all of this food in 5mil mylar bags, put in oxygen absorbers and heat sealed it. After all these bags were sealed I put the bags in 5gal buckets with lids. All the research I have done says that the grains I have will keep for at least ten years and possibly up to 30 years. In total I have about 250 lbs of different types of grains and I purchased all of the food, bags, buckets for under $200

I have also been dehydrating vegetables and vaccuum sealing them, once they are sealed I put them in the deep freezer to help them keep longer or at least until the power goes out if SHTF.

I also have two 55 gal food grade barrels for water storage.

I also try to keep a few pounds of salt & sugar on hand also.

As stated in above posts MREs & canned goods are always an excelent option.

I hope this helps you....
Good Luck

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I bought a couple of these from costco. 275 meals for $85

Basic preparation will impact the probability of your family’s survival in an emergency. Delicious and easy to prepare. Each bucket contains 275 servings of pre-mixed and pre-seasoned 100% vegetarian and vitamin fortified food. With a 20 year long shelf life, this kit is perfect for the preparation of natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes or even for a camping or hunting trip. * Easy to Prepare * Must have water and a heat source * 275 Servings * All Meals 100% Vegetarian and Vitamin Fortified * Sealed in convenient Weather-Proof bucket for easy transport * 25 Servings - Potato Soup * 30 Servings - Corn Chowder * 25 Servings - Cacciatore * 25 Servings - Western Stew * 30 Servings - Country Noodle * 25 Servings - Rice Lentil * 45 Servings - Whey Milk * 40 Servings - Blueberry Pancake * 30 Servings - Barley Vegetable * Total Weight: 23 lbs.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
forgot to add the name

"food for health emergency food kit"

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I think this is being discussed. I'm new here, but I've found Freeze Dried Food to be an excellent way to store food if you can get it cheap. I store some wheat that I buy from local store, and Thrive Freeze Dried Food Sometimes they run special discounts and it can be as competitive as what I can get from local grocery stores. It's crazy with the food prices these days. It's definitely a good idea to store food now!

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I keep things pretty simple. It's just me and the wife here, so we don't need all that much. In my opinion, the most cost effective way to go is simply rice and beans. Both are cheap to buy,easy to store and prepare and quite nutricious. I also have a couple boxes of canned meats, a couple pounds of pasta and sauce and a few other supplies. I grow a good size garden every year as well as hunting most of our meat, so if it were to come to that, I would supplement my supplies that way. I'm pretty comfortable having a couple months food supply handy, as I think that should suffice for my needs. I have looked at MRE's,and Costco does sell them in Canada, however they are just a bit to expensive for me. As far as grains go, I don't store any, as I think any money and space I might spend on wheat or similar is better spent on beans and rice. I figure it's much easier to prepare them than to try and grind grain and make bread.
I do plan to learn canning this year for sure. I want to can chili and stew,which I make quite often. I can make this from meat I hunt and veggies I grow, so it would be both cheap and nutritious. I have a dehydrator,which I like, but I think canning is a superior method in almost all regards except weight savings,which is a non-issue to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join