It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Food storage/supply

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
kaferwerks
Bravo
That is one of the best most thoughtful post Ive seen. You brought up very good points.

[edit on 22-9-2007 by angryamerican]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
right now, i'm experimenting with dog/cat food

looking into the small individual packets
to be used as emerg rations for my GO-BAG
buying different brands/flavours and see if anything catches my fancy

as for my stored caches
i've buried 5 separate 5 gallon pails
between 5-15 miles out from where i live now
for protein
i've gone with cans of tuna
with sardines in tomato sauce for variety
for carbs
i've put in a variety of whole wheat shreddies and noodles
the shreddies being in vacuum sealed baggies
for water
each cache has 400 coffee filters, plus a filter holder
i know these filters won't get all the tiny nasties
but i think it's the best option for the price
my #1 water filter stays with my GO-BAG

each buried pail has a small collection of candles/matches/first aid etc.
if there is no Sit-X in the next 6 months
i'll dig up a different cache weekly to rotate the foodstuffs

when shopping for food
you should see everything on the shelves as
PROTEIN - CARBS - FAT - JUNK
with an emphasis on shelf life ( how long will it last ? )

[edit on 10/2/2007 by CANADIAN-guerilla]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
MRE's are great, if they're govt issued.
Those that come in the white box, with the green lettering on the side of the box, are absolutely DISGUSTING.

Not all mre's are created equal, and the cheap one's are completely gross.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Wow, they must really jack up the price to ship food over the border.

I got a price for a 2 month supply of food, from efoods, and the shipping was only $21.00.

You could get some cheap food to store, such as anything canned, rice, pasta etc. You may also want to stash away some vitamin supplements.
I'm currently debating weather to go this round, or buy from efoods.

I think Efoods is actually a pretty good deal, because each can of their soup is $1.75, and it's very big and nutritious. As a comparison, a can of organic wolfgang puck soup would be $2.00 on a good sale, and it's only 260 calories.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by justicebdone

try making you own MRE's
homemade MRE's

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

Please note: can items typically have a shelf life of about 3 years. Some can products may last a little longer.

Dried beans and legumes (several varieties available), as well as rice will last indefinitely.

Freezed dried meat (Mountain House) can be combined with the beans and rice. So a little will last longer. For example, rice and beans, rice and veggies, rice and legumes, rice and corn. Most Coscos, Sams, BJ's, etc. sell the large bags of beans and rice at a good price.

Also, indoor tomatoes, oranges, bananas, etc. can be grown.

Hard candy will also last indefinitely. It should be kept dry and away from moisture. Sugar and water will keep you alive.

Planning and preparing is not easy. It takes a lot of time and effort and thought.

In the long run, trust your spirit.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
some other concerns you might consider:

avoid GMO.. corn and soy are like 85% GMO these days..
avoid nitrates and other preservatives
get something that lasts more than 3 years..
get stuff you will WANT to eat.. just in case there is no emergency, you will have to eat it so as not to go to waste
make sure there is a ton of variety
dont shop at walmart or other conglomerates! they are the reason we are worried about the economy collapsing!
when you make a big company bigger, ur making poor people poorer.
try to buy things locally, it will save u money, and save the environment.
buy as much food as u can afford, cuz money will be worthless in a future such as we are preparing for.. so the food will be super valuable.. u could hypothetically trade a can of beans for a gun or a favor or a car!
avoid MSG
get enough food to last you a growing season (6-8 months at least) and get some seeds so u can start your own food supply
get the best water filter u can afford, and prepare to use it in wilderness.. get a canister of 20L

(btw i just asked efoods direct for shipping costs to vancouver, canada, it was $820! but overall still cheaper "than the ready store" see if u can pick it up across the border, save u some money)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Store what you eat, and eat what you store.

keep rotating your food and eat it, restocking as you go along.much better than storing a load of food you dont usually eat.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I have a question about powdered milk.

I was in my local supermarket recently and had a quick peek at the use by date on the supermarkets own brand and a leading brand of powered milk.

The use by date was due to expire in 18 months.

Any idea how long powdered milk will last if kept in a dark dry environment ????

Colec

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
A website that I found that has a great "Survival Guide" is full of great information.

It also includes a "food storage faq" that has information on storing everything from canned foods, dry goods, powdered milk, etc. Definately a worthwhile read. (I saved it to my computer)

Captain Daves Survival Guide

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I've included in my regular stash of canned goods, bags of beans, peas, oatmeal, etc - several sealed jugs of PROTEIN POWDER (28-35 grams per serving) and GREEN veggie/fruit POWDER. Just mix with water and go. All organic if possible.

The least amount of sugar and white flour the better -
these things will lower your immune system. Look toward protein.

Also non-food health aids - Vitamins, Probiotics,
...and plenty of alcohol and hydrogen peroxide for cuts, infections.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cnichols
A website that I found that has a great "Survival Guide" is full of great information.

It also includes a "food storage faq" that has information on storing everything from canned foods, dry goods, powdered milk, etc. Definately a worthwhile read. (I saved it to my computer)

Captain Daves Survival Guide

THIS is excellent. Everyone should read this. And - I love what he says about feeding your neighbors. It is a precarious time financially for sure - for many of us - but if you can stock up to help others in time of need - this would be a very good thing.
It will be a time of sharing.

Also - I didn't add this to my post above...
but don't forget bags of electrolytes to add to your water.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hi,
I'm not sure if you have been able to find a supplier in Canada but we could help you if you are still looking.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelMyers

Seriously? Even if you can afford your own food?

Come now. I find this to be a little selfish, but hey, whatever works.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I heard that the MREs taste funny, also the shelf life is only 3 years. Of course passenger you say that the shelf life is much more than printed on the package but how long can it last? 5 years? 10 years? Do I have to keep the MREs in a cold area?

I wanted to buy from efoods direct but the shipping was over 400. I would like to have a 1 year supply that last at least 5 years under 1.500$... is it possible?

Could someone survive for 5 months with that: those things?

This seems cheap and good... what do you think?

[edit on 18-9-2007 by Vitchilo]

5 months living off tinned and dried rations is long enough to get some sort of garden going , even if its a potato box in your kitchen next to the window, herbs can be grown in plant pots, and I'me sure that some relative will have a garden for you to plants a small crop in.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Stoch your pantry with canned and dry goods. I mean really stock it. And when you ramove something for consumption add it to the grocery list. After a couple weeks head to the store and buy whats on the list. Put the new items in the back and move everything forward. Track how much you use and figure out how long it will last you. For a year supply of cans at 3 cans a day you will need 1095 cans.
Hope you have lots of room.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Dog food? Yeah ok! That's ridiculous. If things were to ever get bad enough that you needed to rely on dog food there would be no point in even living. Dog food is terrible to live off for any significant amount of time.

Canned food is alright and a cheap way to go. If you have the money the BEST option is freeze dried backpacking food in number #10 cans. That stuff lasts upwards of 25 years. It beats anything hands down and when reconstituted tastes better than anything. You can get some pretty good deals on Ebay, a year's supply of great tasting food for two for a couple grand sometimes with free shipping. The other option is to buy food and dehydrate/freeze dry it and self store it in mylar bags in plastic 5 gallon tubs. Trust me no one is going to live off dog bones or some of the other crap mentioned in this thread for any length of time. If you're talking long term invest the money and do it right.

www.mredepot.com is another good site if you're in CA.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Dog food?

Let me ask you, if you had a hill of dog food on one hand or an option you and your family starving to death due to 'pride' in the other hand, let me tell you, you'd eat it , if I were in the position, pass me a fork and I'll tuck into winalot prime anytime.

Just hope I don't end up trying to lick my own nuts though.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I hope this helps. These are good people and if you call they will answer all of your questions.

Link

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

The bulk of what people are having shipped is not worth it. You need to buy the bulk stuff like sugar, flour, pasta,beans and rice locally to get your moneys worth. The wheat isn't worth the shipping price either.

If you buy freeze dried entrees with pasta in them then you are shooting yourself in the foot cost wise. They are fantastic for convenience but kill your bottom line.

Use five gallon buckets with interior mylar bags,oxygen absorbers, and nitrogen to create your own long storing staples. You will need to order the bags and oxygen absorbers online. Home depot has the best price on 5 gallon buckets I've found and their lids seal very well. If you pack with nitrogen, it can be gotten cheap locally and the bottles returned when you are done. (just use good ventilation when nitrogen packing as it displaces oxygen in enclosed spaces)

Many of the items are already in a storable state like honey, syrup, canned goods and prepackaged meals where you add water. You can get canned hams, sardines, salmon, chicken, mackerel, and so forth for much less than the price of the processed and delivered meat products.

Bulk pasta and canned sauce is available for a fraction of the cost of pre packaged entrees.

Don't forget coffee, tea, drink mixes, dry milk and soup bases they are all available in long storing instant form at the store.

The things that are cost effective for ordering after figuring total price are the freeze dried vegetables and bulk orders of stews and meat/vegetable mixed entrees. The rest is better gotten locally and properly packaged . Powdered eggs, powdered cheese and margarine powder are not available locally to most people so are necessary online orders if you want them.

Other things to look at are sprouting seeds. These are great cost and room wise. They are a great bang for your buck and you can have fresh greens in as little as 48 hours.

The longest term solution is gardening seeds. They are actually cheaper if you buy them pre selected for your area and long storage packed than if you bought the equivalent seeds in envelopes at the local garden center or hardware store. You would probably be able to get a better price at a feed store or farming supply but it would be in a bulk form that might not be worth it in the long run.

One of the most convenient items is the MRE. It is also one of the least cost effective. The next in convenience is the freeze dried entrees like mountain house. The pricing per ounce is pretty misleading. After doing a lot of research and math the 'serves two' package bought by the case seems to give the best value. The common ones like beef stew ,lasagna and spaghetti are the best values. The individual vegetable packs and desserts are way over priced. The MREs and freeze dried entrees are both good products but they are expensive. It is still a good idea to have at least a few days worth in case you have to get along with no way to cook or have to travel with your food.

Obviously these results vary but what I've written here is based on cost of product, cost of shipping and return on volume/calories versus cost. It is as accurate as I can be according to my experience but others may have had different experiences.

A word on cooking oil. It is a MAJOR source of calories and is absolutely essential in a survival situation when dealing with stored foods. It cannot be stored long term. At best most oils last less than a year. Olive oil and peanut oil go bad fairly quickly when thinking in terms of storage. Keep your ear to the ground. If things go south then you will need to buy a few gallons at the last minute. It would be good to find a local place that offers large packaging on cooking oils so thay you can find it quickly before the crowds clean out the store.

The alternate to oil is shortening. It will last up to 5 years but is hydrogenated so is an unhealthy saturated fat source. A few pounds of shortening over the course of time won't really cause much harm but it should be a final option and not the primary choice.

Other notables that are often forgotten are alcohol, tobacco, candy and daily toiletries.

A lot of your savings will come from doing your own buying locally and storing it properly.
It takes a bit of research but will be worth it if you are intent on storing food on a budget.

Hopefully we won't need any of this any time soon.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by badgerprints]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join