Senate Nixes Bill Giving D.C. House Seat

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Senate Nixes Bill Giving D.C. House Seat

www.cbsnews.com

The procedural vote effectively killed the best chance in decades to win the District a full-fledged House member. The city has been denied voting rights in Congress since 1801, making it the only major capital city in the world where citizens are denied a vote in the nation's representative body of government.

Advocates had hoped to resolve what they call a "national disgrace" and the most important civil rights issue of the era.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The people of the District of Columbia have never had a representative representing them in Congress, and a seat for them has just been voted down again.

I don't see the big deal really, once they are elected, politicians don't even TRY to represent what the people who voted for them want anyway!

Talk about taxation without representation!

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This would most likely have been struck down as unconstitutional by the courts anyway if it had passed.

IMO only an amendment to the Constitution can change D.C.'s status, such as the one that gave it a say in presidential elections.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
DC has it pretty bad, federal taxes and no federal representation.

The territories at least have no federal taxes. They do elect people to the House though but I think they only have voice rights and no voting rights. Im not sure what the title is in other US territories but in Puerto Rico it is called the Resident Commissioner and the current title holder is Luis Fortuno.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
If the people in DC don't like it, they are more than welcome to leave DC.

After all, it's not a state, never has been a state, and I hope never will be a state. The point was to have federal land with which states could not bribe or have unfair authority over parts or all of the federal government and vice versa.

To be honest, I'd prefer we bulldoze all the housing in DC (for a reasonable sum to the occupants) and move all the federal garbage we have here in VA (which is a TON) and house all of that in DC like it's supposed to be (GET OFF OUR LAND YOU FILTHY ANIMALS.... lol).

I don't think DC should ever be treated like a state, or even made a state.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by KrazyJethro]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
DC is primarily made up of poor black people. If it were moslty rich white people, I think they would find it easier to be represented federally

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 420prajna
DC is primarily made up of poor black people. If it were moslty rich white people, I think they would find it easier to be represented federally

Ah, the race card! Maybe black people don't want to be prosperous. Because if they do prosper, Jessie Jackson will say they are acting white?

www.thestate.com...

Jackson sharply criticized presidential hopeful and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama for “acting like he’s white”

Medium income average for United States $49,133 (2005 dollars)
Medium Income average for DC $46,949

If you chose to live in DC, chances are you are working for the Federal Government. That is where the difference lies.

new topics
top topics

join