It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME and the Big Bang - Is it all we got?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I don't believe time started when the big bang (or whatever theory you subscribe to) occurred.

Time itself is much like a dimension of measurement. Regardless of what you stick on that dimension of measurement, that dimension spans infinitely.

Time in my eyes has to be infinite.

Matter and energy began when the big bang occurred. (Or began again if you think the same way I do).

============
(The way I see it.)
============

Basically my understanding goes : If time is infinite, then the lifespan of our universe will be infinitesimally small compared to it. With an infinite span of time to fill up, there will be an infinite number of universes that have come, and will come again.

With an infinite number of variations of universes, the likelihood of this variation coming into existence again is not just likely, it's absolute.

In fact, this universe, along with all other variations of universes will exist an infinite number of times.

As will you.

============

The only problem we as a species have is that the environment we have perceived so far does not allow us to have a true understanding of how infinitely huge infinity really is. Hence, our brains are not geared to think along those lines.

To a certain extent, I can think along those lines...

Perhaps my brain is just wired wrong. lol.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Outside the inside of Time

Originally posted by johnsky
I don't believe time started when the big bang... occurred.

Time itself is much like a dimension of measurement. Regardless of what you stick on that dimension of measurement, that dimension spans infinitely.

Actually, spatial dimensions only measure space and space only exists in the universe. As we know, space is curved. If you travel onwards for just about forever in a single direction, you will eventually reach the point you left from (relativistic pedantries apart).

So if this is your reasoning for disbelieving that Time had a start, you must also believe in an infinite universe. That contradicts what you say about 'island universes' (which, incidentally, was an old term used to denote galaxies).

A lot of people have trouble with the idea of a finite universe that also includes everything (including all space and time). But that's what the data indicates.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join