It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should teachers be allowed to pack a gun?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subcomandante
But it's notions like this that make me realise that 90% of Americans just want a gun because they think they need one. I will no doubt get flamed for this, but hey, whatever. It's not my kids getting shot in schools because of your stubborness. And no, banning doesn't work. Education does.

So lets think of it this way. People know the increased risk of owning a fast care.. yet they still buy them and speed in school zones.

Do I want a gun? Nah, not really, but i still see it a useful tool. But just like a hammer or a kitchen knife, it can be a weapon in hands with the wrong intent or even an accident. Should ban anything and everything that has the potential to harm out of fear of "what if's"

I agree with you on education is the best thing, but people should be at least able to make an educated decision, unbiased.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

So gang bangers will stop gang banging? Terrorists will stop terrorizing? look at the logic in your statement. The Columbine kids had money, but they were made fun of, how would you stop people making fun of each other?

Yet we still teach our kids about WW1 and WW2. How many people died and how evil this nation was and how evil this nation is. A horrible mess of fear? Yes but you can't be calm and stable when someone is threatening to blow up a few schools, if your child is in that school would you not be angry? or would you just say Oh well.

Gang bangers will be gang bangers, no matter where you put them. I do not want a gun, but if I had a kid I do not want a gun stuck in their face. Guns can be purchased easily and illegally, or it can be purchased easily and legally. Either way a ban on guns would mean the people who owned legal guns would disown them, yet the people who own the guns illegally would keep them.
Yes that is much safer for us.

Did Columbine have a gangbangers problem? Was it on the border of a blood/crip area? No. And when was the last time al-Qaeda targetted a school in mainland America? Never.

I have no idea what you mean by you "WW1 & WW2" statement. I think teaching of past attrocities does well to teach children of how evil men can be, and how one should not follow everyone else. The point I was making was that having a loaded weapon in a classroom, and having the children know its there, produces the wrong learning enviroment. They would learn from a young age that the only way to be safe is to be armed. And thats nonsense. The only way to be safe is to make sure the crazies aren't.

And yes, that is nigh impossible. America, and other arms producing countries, have done their part in making sure that no matter how many amnesties or bans are put in place, there will always be firearms wherever they are wanted, and by whomever wants them.

Once again, I don't support a ban, due to the reasons above, and yes, it would put more illegal guns on the street. What will not work is throwing more weapons into the mix.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Uh no
I would feel severely unsafe if i knew a teacher had a gun.
Dumb idea.....

Schools aren't that bad, and we don't need a teacher playing hero.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The opposition to this is ignorant...

There has already been multiple school shooting across the country, not the least of which was here in Springfield, Oregon high school.

These situations are already shown to be occuring, metal detectors are false security, training staff/faculty in hand to hand is pointless. A person will only resort to their level of training in a life/death scenario and these are teachers not brawlers.

Methods of causing harm or death to a great number of students or staff already exist in these same schools that we're discussing.

Another common misconception I'm seeing is the thought that all of a sudden all the teachers are going to just be given a gun and some sort of minimal training to handle them.

The only ones that would be carrying, would be doing so concealed on their person, never available to another after having gone through State Certification program.
This certification includes training in close quarters. draw distance, and situational confrontations, as well as legalities.

I have never heard of a teacher wiggin out and killing students, but I have seen many examples of students doing the killing.

Most of you don't seem to realize just how many of us carry legally, and surround you in your daily life without alarming you or causing harm.

Remaining passive in an armed attack is the surest way to die.

I would never have my kids go to a public school these days....just too dangerous and there is no protection in place.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
You know... I would almost say heck yes teachers should carry guns. With the world our children are growing up in, they aren't even safe in schools anymore. However, children are not unsafe because of guns only, teachers molesting and sexually assulting thier students also is a huge problem. It seems like the "system" can't hire genuine good people to teach our children... so no, i don't think they should be allowed to carry around guns.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Absolutely not. School is no place for a gun in either the hands of a student or a teacher.

This crack pot notion that the answer to every problem is to pack a gun is insane. What kind of society do we want?

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

if we lived in a perfect world where we all loved G-D above all and then our neighbours as ourselves-----no one would need a gun----in fact we wouldnt need an army or a police force because there would be no more crime or wars.but right now the best one could hope for is that the school administration would have the sense to banish murderous kids from schools if they havent been "housebroken" like any sensible person would take the time to do with a pet dog they let in the home.if the parents cant be bothered to teach their kids how to behave in public they shouldnt expect the schools to do it for them-------my education was ruined by the wackos at the schools i was stuck in---you couldnt even hear yourself think let alone concentrait on studies thanks to the out of control "maniacs" that the teachers were supposed to try and educate.even when i went to trade school to become an electrician-in a class of 30 we always were stuck with at least three 20 year olds that could make it miserable for the rest of us.when i got out in the work force i even got to meet 60 year olds that still hadnt grown up---still acting like undisciplined kids-------and 1 was my boss for 12 years till he was forced to retire by military officials that were sick of his tantrums.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

my first experience of school was when i was 6 years old.me an only child living like in nowhere taken to school and dumped.the other kids were running circles around the school yard like indians on the warpath---my thoughts were what did i do wrong to be thrown into this "nut house"?i spent every moment of school all my life backed into a corner trying to avoid the trouble makers----that attitude carried on in my work life till retirement and goes on now at age 60---i still meet older nuts than myself-----i cant wait for G-D to rid the earth of the crazies(or give them some common sense)so normal people can have some peace.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join