It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should teachers be allowed to pack a gun?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Normal sensible people dont just pull a firearm for no reason.

Theres my worry there, how many normal and sensible people are there around these days.
Its not really the teachers I'm worried about anyway, its the students, students can be the most clever, most evil, most deceiving people, you dont know what these kids will plan just for fun.

Also wont carrying guns around give kids a sense of fear all the time, and wont it make them want to have guns too? What about all the parent that don't agree with having their kids going to a school with guns in it.

Basically I don't trust many people, I didn't trust some of my teachers when I was in school, and I know how crazy some of my fellow classmates could be, I can not even imagine what it would be like with guns around, it would be heaven for those kids, it would be hell for everyone else, bad things happen everyday in school, but having guns around people who you cant trust is crazy!

[edit on 19-9-2007 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I'm a gun owner, I've been around them since I was big enough to hold up a pistol steady.

Saying that, I'm totally opposed to teachers being permitted to carry.

Some basic thoughts:
1 - most teachers aren't fit to carry
2 - most training programs will prove to be inadequate. You can teach anyone to point and squeeze the trigger, but almost all these programs do not retrain your natural reactions to stress, chaos, and fear.
3 - Most teachers, people in general, I'm sure are unwilling to kill, and an armed person unwilling to use their given firearm for that purpose is a bigger liability in any situation requiring a firearm than an unarmed civilian in the same situation.
4 - That persons job is to teach my kids, *not* to care for them, *not* to protect them and *not* to impart their morals on them. We have other people for that, including ourselves. Let the teachers teach.
5 - I fear whatever inadequate, underfunded and stopgap measure the school districts might put in to do their bare minimum to satisfy the training requirements.
6 - Not everyone is made to own a weapon. With the exception of crazies and so on, some, hell, most people, don't have the mental state to responsibly own a firearm.

owning them for wall hangers, fine
owning them for hunting, fine
owning them for the purpose of taking a human life and not being mentally, emotionally and spiritually prepared for it.. no way.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder

owning them for wall hangers, fine
owning them for hunting, fine
owning them for the purpose of taking a human life and not being mentally, emotionally and spiritually prepared for it.. no way.

Nicely said, and I know that in my school there were some teachers that didn't seem mentally and emotionally stable, they were at their worse just before leaving the job, now imagine them with guns? that would give me nightmares! haha

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
You know some people are mentioning the mental stability of some teaches. The Houston Independent School District has some kind of warped system for giving yearly bonuses. Man, there was a hell of a lot of pissed off teachers at bonus time.

Yeah, that would be a great time to have guns in the teachers' hands. High noon in the gym.......be there.

Peace

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
First off, I do not own a gun

I have not exposed my child to a weapon either.

I am also trained in some martial arts and can take a gun away if need be.

However, For those of you in fear of students taking the weapon, there is a magnetic ring that can be purchased where if not close the gun will not fire (and we re talking about a few inches here)

For those that see teachers as instable, look at the people around you. There is always someone who has a hard time dealing with things. State of mind does not make the tool evil, but rather the person in possesion of said tool. Please do not blame the gun or be scared of it.

I would at least expect the gun to still be hidden out of view. Even a 22 can cause a big enough shockwave in shooters objective to stop it without fatalities.

For those afraid of "postal" teachers and such, warning devices are great if there is a system of protection AFTER that. Kinda like a car alarm disconnects the ecu or the starter. This is what will stop the thief and you still have damage. So if 3 guys walk in with firearms and an intent to shoot up the school, i see teachers as a 2nd line of defense in case the unarmed security guard gets shot after he is warned by the metal detectors. All the metal detector did, was let certain people know there is now an intruder.

And while I do not trust many people, especially with my children, I would rather there be some sort of defense for them than none. Of course as they are getting bigger I am also showing them how to defend themselves...as sometimes this is your only defense.

So should teachers be allowed to carry weapons? I say until all guns and weapons are gone ..YES.

And here is a good example of what a manditory gun law CAN DO.

www.worldnetdaily.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Hey I have a great idea!

Let's give EVERYBODY a gun and have world peace!

What happens when an armed teacher "goes postal"?

You said it clearly Gools, and I couldn't agree more.

Not much else I can add except a

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by Boondock78

. The best I can do is home school. .

correct...you absolutely CAN homeschool and teach them al lthe hunting extras on your own...

i get you though..if such a school did exist and parents wanted to send their kids there, fine by me.....i hold no sway over you, nor should i...mine won't be going....

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by scoobdude
I am also trained in some martial arts and can take a gun away if need be.

i am trained too and first let me, LOL...
you're gonna rely on hand techniques? ok..

if thats how you feel, then the teachers should have to do a year of mma and 6 months of hand technique training...

sorry dude......you don't want to be hitting real world gun situations with your *art* hand techniques.......least i don't

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Well you guys seem to think that the teachers are going to leave the guns on their desks, or a rifle carrying it on their backs. There would obviously be a safe area where the gun could be place, maybe a safe behind the chalkboard.
You guys oppose gun in the schools, ok the people who are going to massacre, or terrorize the school have no regulation about guns.
When the time comes you will wish that some teachers would have had guns at their disposal.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Well you guys seem to think that the teachers are going to leave the guns on their desks, or a rifle carrying it on their backs. There would obviously be a safe area where the gun could be place, maybe a safe behind the chalkboard.

yeah, you solved it....
fantastic friggin idea.....tuck that glock away safely behind the chalkboard.....

just like cops are human and make mistakes, so are teachers right...

TEACH-ers.....they teach.....not protect. it's no their job

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Ok so what would you do in that situation? Your the government and parent are yelling at you because of some kid or terrorists is holding them hostage?
Considering it would take Chuck Norris 1 hour to get there.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
for the sake of arguement, can someone find some statistics on just how many kids a year a re killed in schools that might have been prevented by gun packing teachers?

Wile this might seem like a good idea on paper to some/many/most, etc.. is this a solution looking for a problem?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

Apparently Sen. Biden claims 135,000 students bring guns to school everyday.

135,000 children carry guns to school each day. (Senators Biden and Chafee.)

www.firearmsandliberty.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This is the stupidest idea I've heard in a while.

Firstly, I know alot of teachers. Few are compatent enough to teach, let alone carry a loaded firearm.

Secondly, what would be the purpose of having this gun? I'm guessing it would be in a safe in the classroom, and the only logical use I can think for it would be in the case of a high school shooting. But even then, would putting more firearms into the mix really be a good idea? Especially in the hands of stressed and untrained teachers. I don't trust armed police, let alone teachers.

This seems to be a small scale practice of the American philosophy of "Any problem can be solved by getting everyone armed." Good for business, good for safety. Of course.

I'm glad I live in Scotland. And though we have a big knife problem here, I'm happy to say that teachers will not be allowed to carry swords in the classroom.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Subcomandante

So what is your suggestion sir? I mean sure, you can try to take down the plan, but that also means you should state one of your own. That is like me saying take out President Bush, and that is it. Please elaborate on your ideas, you do not think it is safe for teachers to carry guns? Well guess what, students carry many guns to schools, we are at risk of a terror attack, while people still think it is a fear tactic which might I add. They will think it is a fear tactic until it happens, then they will run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Subcomandante

Better get going on some knife bans man. Thats sure to help. After all, if knives were illegal nobody would have them, right? I mean, its illegal to murder and stab and because of its illegal status that never happens, oh wait.....never mind.

I remember reading a story from the Guardian about parents and kids franticaly trying to purchase "knife proof" vests to wear to school.

What the hell is wrong with kids and where do they get the notion that stabbing, shooting or harming any other human being is an acceptable solution? Too much free time on their hands? Oh I know we can blame the neo-cons and the war, right but then we'd have to have seen an increase in kids killing kids during other periods of war. Maybe it's video games? Well, no, Ive been playing them since I can remember and havent yet considered physical harm as a means to solve a petty dispute or even a serious one.

Chemtrails in the air, flouridation in the water? Just idiot kids with notions in their heads like "my teacher doesnt like me so obviously he is going to shoot me" doing stupid things with other stupid kids and as stupid as a kid as I was I never knew anyone who would behave so stupidly growing up.

WTH is wrong with people?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I am all for the right to bear arms. My son who is 5 knows gun control and how to use one. Of course an adult is with him at all times. He goes hunting with my father and also target shoots.

With that in mind and him knowing that he should never take a gun to school or use it for any other reason then what he has been taught. This would be considered a double standard to him and the possiblity of him going against the things that he was taught.

So I'm saying no, it is not a good idea at all!

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
reply to post by Boondock78

Ok so what would you do in that situation? Your the government and parent are yelling at you because of some kid or terrorists is holding them hostage?
Considering it would take Chuck Norris 1 hour to get there.

i don't even know what you are talking about...

what would i do in what situation? i don't understand.

i have made it clear that NOTHING will change my mind on this...don't matter how many what if's you toss at me...
i say what goes with my kid......his teachers having guns don't go.
if that ends up being the case, he will be taken out of school.
pretty easy really.

i already hope that my son takes the equivelency exam as soon as possible to get out but if teachers start packing, he'll be out much faster.

my son and that is just the way it is...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
A plan of my own? Better standards in education, housing, and job opportunities. Not just for kids, but for everyone. Destroy class divides, you destroy the need to rise up in classes. Give people the ability to live in ease, you stop them having to take up crime to reach such levels. Teach children about positive attributes of the world, instead of bringing a gun into the classroom. It is insane. I'm all for protecting ones family, but why that has to be with a weapon capable of murdering my entire family easily doesn't make any sense. This is just a horrible mess of fear.

"Hey, I heard the minorites hate whiteys!?"
"Hey, I heard that Abdul from the Indian restaurant is with al-Queda?!"
"Hey, I heard that stupid goth kid was talking about guns yesterday?!"
"Hey, I heard theres bears in this country, somewhere?!"
"Hey, who're you?! I don't trust you?!"

What do we do? Lets get guns!

Part of me believes that responsible people should be armed, especially when their family is put at direct risk. Like in a war zone. But it's notions like this that make me realise that 90% of Americans just want a gun because they think they need one. I will no doubt get flamed for this, but hey, whatever. It's not my kids getting shot in schools because of your stubborness. And no, banning doesn't work. Education does.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subcomandante
A plan of my own? Better standards in education, housing, and job opportunities.

Don't we all have that in our minds? How do you hope to achieve that? Where do we get the money for that?
Not just for kids, but for everyone. Destroy class divides, you destroy the need to rise up in classes. Give people the ability to live in ease, you stop them having to take up crime to reach such levels.

So gang bangers will stop gang banging? Terrorists will stop terrorizing? look at the logic in your statement. The Columbine kids had money, but they were made fun of, how would you stop people making fun of each other?

Teach children about positive attributes of the world, instead of bringing a gun into the classroom. It is insane. I'm all for protecting ones family, but why that has to be with a weapon capable of murdering my entire family easily doesn't make any sense. This is just a horrible mess of fear.

Yet we still teach our kids about WW1 and WW2. How many people died and how evil this nation was and how evil this nation is. A horrible mess of fear? Yes but you can't be calm and stable when someone is threatening to blow up a few schools, if your child is in that school would you not be angry? or would you just say Oh well.

"Hey, I heard the minorites hate whiteys!?"
"Hey, I heard that Abdul from the Indian restaurant is with al-Queda?!"
"Hey, I heard that stupid goth kid was talking about guns yesterday?!"
"Hey, I heard theres bears in this country, somewhere?!"
"Hey, who're you?! I don't trust you?!"

What do we do? Lets get guns!

Part of me believes that responsible people should be armed, especially when their family is put at direct risk. Like in a war zone. But it's notions like this that make me realise that 90% of Americans just want a gun because they think they need one. I will no doubt get flamed for this, but hey, whatever. It's not my kids getting shot in schools because of your stubborness. And no, banning doesn't work. Education does.

Gang bangers will be gang bangers, no matter where you put them. I do not want a gun, but if I had a kid I do not want a gun stuck in their face. Guns can be purchased easily and illegally, or it can be purchased easily and legally. Either way a ban on guns would mean the people who owned legal guns would disown them, yet the people who own the guns illegally would keep them.
Yes that is much safer for us.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join