It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should teachers be allowed to pack a gun?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
If a terrorist attack does happen, I bet you it will escalate to a civil war with the Muslims.

Dont derail this thread please.

I'm getting tired of every topic turning into how people should hate Muslims.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by monadnock
Many times have I felt like shooting a student when he/she was disruptive in class. This would be great!

What-if...............this person was really a teacher?

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by Equinox99
If a terrorist attack does happen, I bet you it will escalate to a civil war with the Muslims.

I'm not exactly sure where that came from. Do you mean Muslim children will be going jihad on other children?

Peace

I meant, if a terrorist attack was to happen on the US schools, US would be at the tipping point against Islam. Then you will see a civil war, the parents will be clouded with too much anger and emotion.
But like I said before, only a selected few should be permitted to carry the guns, maybe 1-10% of the teachers depending on how big the school faculty is.
No one else should know who is carrying them, other then the principal and government. Keep some sort of communication line in the place where the guns are being concealed, like a walkie-talkie. How will the students know which teacher is carrying the gun?

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

Sir, I do not hate Muslims, but I am giving you of the situation that will come if an attack does happen on a school.

What-if...............this person was really a teacher?

Well, then he really needs psychological help.
What-if, the same thing happens to your children's schools that happened to the school in Russia? Will you wait outside the school anticipating, when your child will come out, what is happening inside, what are they doing to your child?
Those questions are the REAL questions you should ask yourself, not what-if the teacher went lunatic grabbed the gun and killed many students. If that was the case, then they would have already done it by now, or they would have easily went and purchased a gun and done it.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by Equinox99]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It would seem that many against this step are against firearms in general.

I don't see why it would be thought that teachers would harbor the greater potential to cause harm simply because a different weapon is available than what is currently at their disposal.

Why would the flipped out teacher in question simply not put a toxic substance into the recycled air systems?

Or any other number of things that could be done if harm was the intent

Should a policeman not carry due to fear of losing their weapon to an assailant?

The presence of a gun, does not a criminal make...

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
One Thing's For Sure

If the students knew the teacher was packing heat, they'd be damn sure to turn in their homework on time.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
One Thing's For Sure

If the students knew the teacher was packing heat, they'd be damn sure to turn in their homework on time.

LMAO...good stuff...good stuff...

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
We've all heard the statistic that people with guns in their homes are much more likely to be shot by themselves or their family members than by an intruder. I assume the same would be true in a school environment.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm a bit torn on the issue. I'm leaning towards yes, but hmm so many variables.

Like mentioned, theres the rare case of a teacher going postal, but I never hear about it reported...but thats possibly due to the lack of deadly weapons.

I'm just not sure.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by milesp

Can you show me the statistics? I am not trying to be arrogant or anything, but this is the first time I have heard it.
I honestly think having a selected few teachers with guns would not be such a bad idea at all though, just in case anything happens, whether it be a massacre, or a terrorist attack. What does everyone else think?

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
True story of events in my life today.

Today my daughter looked out her elementary school window and saw a man outside with a gun. She told the teacher, who then had the students hide while she got word to another teacher. The teacher then turned out the lights in the class and hid with the students, so that the classroom would appear empty.

The school went into lockdown. All entry doors and all doors in the school were locked. All students were instructed to hide in back corners of the room with the lights out while the doors stayed locked. Simultaniously the police were notified, and the other schools in the immediate area also went into lockdown.

The kids have been back from school for a few hours now, everyone is calmed, and all is well.

But.....

[edit on 9/18/07 by makeitso]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Since its obvious that nobody trusts teachers with firearms and generally believe it wouldn't do any good how about some kind of training in how to deal with such situations. And not some appease-them-be-a-victim nonsense either, bring in an instructor for Krav Maga or something like it to give the teachers an idea of how to neutralize someone who has a weapon. Id rather have a teacher with training take on a crazy than someone who is going to cower in fear as the assailant kills everyone in the room one by one.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
What is it with this constant need to turn everything into an arms race?

Give the teachers guns
Kid says "Dad, that teacher don't like me"
"OK son, have a bigger gun"

Jeez, where does it stop?

Guns are not the answer to any problem - they just create more problems.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
What do you mean by this? Are you implying that the students will also have guns too, incase this happens?

Yes. Sorry if it wasnt clear enough in my post.

Just one student carrying at VA Tech couldve stopped that Cho guy from having a murder field day. I dont know how many times Ive been heading to class or work (which is also a "gun-free" zone) having left my carry pistol at home and wondered how would people react should they find my murdered corpse among a pile of dead in one of these "gun-free" zones and when flipping through my wallet for some identification they see that permit to carry a concealed firearm and think to themselves 'what if.'

The whole premise of a gun-free zone is so far beyond idiotic it baffles the mind. Will an individual hellbent on murder and destruction stop to think 'hey, this is a gun-free zone so I better not bring one in there'?

There is no difference between one of these gun-free zones in the eyes of a killer and a pen of fenced in sheep to the eyes of a wolf.

I cannot express enough how absolutely asinine the notion is. Its like requiring model citizens to jump through hoop after hoop after hoop to acquire a firearm when all of the thugs and criminals just go the Louis van downtown.

The logic is completely insane. These laws aimed at controlling gun crime simply do not work. They do not work any more than a law banning homicide has worked to stop homicide.

All gun control laws do is offer up more unarmed sheep to the wolves of the world.

Ive been surrounded by firearms and ammunition my whole life. As I typ Im sitting in a room with two pistols, two rifles and a shotgun. One would think that in over 30 years of this firearm saturation if guns cause gun crime I would have committed one by now. Well, sorry to disappoint.

How many anti-gun people are urban? Im willing to bet that the vast majority of this fear toward these pieces of steel, plastic and aluminum is rooted in nothing more than prejudice and ignorance.

There is absolutely nothing frightening, special or exceptionally powerful about any of them. They are simply tools. Tools to keep the coyotes from the chickens and the druggies out of your truck. Thats it. Occasionally some rabid psychotic of a human will use one to hurt others but it doesnt happen any more often than any rabid psychotic uses rope, a car, a knife, a rock, a bat or anything else that rabid psychotic may have available. But should some rabid psychotic come charging at you in the mall, at the supermarket or while out walking your dog at dawn wouldnt you want to be able to put an abrupt stop to it before any sane individuals get hurt?

Let every citizen be armed. Let the psychos go crazy and let the sane man standing next to them put them down.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
What is it with this constant need to turn everything into an arms race?

Give the teachers guns
Kid says "Dad, that teacher don't like me"
"OK son, have a bigger gun"

Jeez, where does it stop?

Guns are not the answer to any problem - they just create more problems.

I am against guns, never had one, and never will get one. However, if you do not protect your kids and it is too late, what will you have the parents do then?
If you are against it that is fine, but just remember there is not always a quick thinking kid around to tell someone about a person with a gun.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
What happens when an armed teacher "goes postal"?

They could just as easily bring a gun in if they wanted to go postal...

I feel this is a great idea! Not only to protect them from the student, but also in the case of a terrorist attack.

I have heard that teachers in Israel carry guns...

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I think they can keep guns out of schools the same way they keep guns off of planes. It's called the "Security Gate".

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
No. If students aren't allowed to do it , why should teachers be able to?

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
No. If students aren't allowed to do it , why should teachers be able to?

Because students are minors, generally irresponsible, etc.

I assume most/all of us put more faith in the judgment of our teachers that our youth.

I that is like saying if pilots can carry guns so should passengers...

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Guns and teachers. That sounds like a good idea. A recipe for disaster.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join