It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should teachers be allowed to pack a gun?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Should teachers be allowed to pack a gun?

news.yahoo.com

Ashland, Ore. - In court documents, she's known as "Jane Doe." Innocuous enough, but the woman behind that pseudonym pushes one of the nation's hottest political buttons: guns and school safety.

What Ms. Doe wants to do is take her Glock 9-mm pistol to the high school in Medford, Ore., where she teaches.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If this woman wins her case, other courts in the nation would have to adopt the same law, allowing school officials to carry guns, if they feel endangered.

Would students feel at ease being in a class knowing their teacher has a gun? Is school security lacking enough to where teachers need to carry guns now?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Heck ya they should allow it.

The teachers are there with the best interest of the students in mind, if they're concerned enough to put their life on the line with the willingness to defend our kids....then so be it.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have....

BTW...I live in Medford where this woman teaches.

I can testify that there is NO security at any of Oregons Schools that is up to par.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by LockwithnoKey]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Hey I have a great idea!

Let's give EVERYBODY a gun and have world peace!

What happens when an armed teacher "goes postal"?

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LockwithnoKey

The problem with that is that if the teachers are carrying guns to protect the students, they would need proper training in firearms. What happens if a student decides to hold a classroom hostage, and the teacher gets in a gunfight in a confined area? This will almost double the chances an innocent student would get hit by a bullet.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Sure, let's make the younger genenration feel even more like criminals, of course under the guise of something else more warm and fuzzy (i.e.student/teacher safety).

When I was in school we had a place where bad kids went to school, it was called CDC. We didn't need Clint Eastwood in the classroom.

:shk:

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I would agree that would be the case, only when teachers are also required to wear bullet-proof vests and carry magnums.

Though sadly, if this passes, the next step in protecting teachers would be bullet proof vests.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
That is what I have always wanted, teachers to be able to carry guns. Especially with all the new threats that we are having towards schools and such. If teachers were allowed to carry guns in schools then the casualty level for massacres like Columbine, and Virginia could have been drastically reduced.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Absolutely they should. And the schools should bring back the rifle teams of days past. And every home should have a gun and every family should shoot.

To respond to the "what happens if a teacher goes postal" well, a student will put him down pretty quickly if armed. The famous postal worker going nuts doesnt happen with the gun on his person. He walks into a building full of unarmed people with the guns he brought with him after deciding to go 'postal.'

We need to end these gun-free victim farms all over the country from schools to universities to even the post office. Psychos and crazy people dont give care one if guns arent allowed in a certain place. THEYRE CRAZY!

Do you want them to run around with free reign killing, raping and doind whatever while the cops hang out outside in the parking lot for 45 minutes or do you want somebody on the inside to say "holy crap that guys going crazy!" and shoot him down before anyone gets killed?

I have to say, having lived in Ashland for some time, that this is pretty funny coming from there. I always thought the tree-hugging hippy crowd outnumbered the Nortwest lumberjack independent types.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Be careful what you wish for. I had a few elderly teachers who would have been knocked unconscious after hitting the wall because their Derringer kicked too hard.

All kidding aside, I would not send my child to a school where the teachers were allowed to have guns......PERIOD!!

And no offense, but the Columbine fear tactics are just garbage. There were so many things that went wrong on so many levels.....MK ULTRA aside.

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

In order to obtain a concealed carry permit they would have to have gone through firearms safety training.

If this particular hostage situation were to take place, why do you think that a classroom held hostage would be safer with noone capable of offering any resistance or defense?

Just as a note...even the Campus police for Our State University System are not allowed to carry firearms even though they are required to go through police certification training.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
To respond to the "what happens if a teacher goes postal" well, a student will put him down pretty quickly if armed.

What do you mean by this? Are you implying that the students will also have guns too, incase this happens?

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I do think it would be safer without resistance. Like I stated early, the teacher entering a gun battle with a student in a confined classroom raises the risk of fatality among the students. If a student has taken a classroom hostage, what is to keep them from putting a gun to another students head, after finding out the teacher in the same classroom has a gun too? They would order the teacher to hand them the gun, leaving the assailant with two guns now.

Should this law pass and all students know teachers carry guns, and a student does bring in a gun, who do you think they would kill first in the classroom?

[edit on 18-9-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Okay let me give you a hypothetical situation. Lets say it was a beautiful afternoon, no clouds in the sky birds chirping and such. A mom takes her kids to school, and then goes to work. She gets a disturbing phone call saying her daughter and many other kids have been held hostage. What would you do in her situation? depend on the SWAT team?

BESLAN, Russia (CNN) -- The death toll in the Russian hostage crisis has climbed beyond 350 as President Vladimir Putin denounced the massacre as "an attack on our country."
Source

OCALA, Fla. -- Investigators in Marion County, Fla., are searching for the author of nine postcards sent to different schools on the same day with the words 'Jihad-Boom" and handwritten cartoons of a building apparently exploding with people inside.
Source

Any threats like this one should be taken into account. The best way to reduce mass casualties is to prepare ahead of time for an attack, even if it was a scare tactic. In the end if something does happen to the kids, you will have people running to the police station, and school boards asking why this has happened.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Well friend, I think that's a loaded question, and of course if I happened to be one of the parents directly related to such a hypothetical situation, I would have to say yeah, I would like my child's teacher to have a gun at that particular time. But you have to weigh the odds as well as the possible negatives that could occur from a teacher packing heat.

What if a teacher was overtaken and had the gun taken away? The what-ifs can go on and on.

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Many times have I felt like shooting a student when he/she was disruptive in class. This would be great!

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I understand about the what-ifs, so what about having a selected few teachers in the school to have the weapons? Only other people of knowing who it was should be the government and principal. That way if someone does take the students hostage, the selected few teachers can do whatever they can in their powers to achieve safety for students.
I mean the time to prepare is now, if it is not your child that this is going to happen to then it is the child of a fellow American. If a terrorist attack does happen, I bet you it will escalate to a civil war with the Muslims.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
If a terrorist attack does happen, I bet you it will escalate to a civil war with the Muslims.

I'm not exactly sure where that came from. Do you mean Muslim children will be going jihad on other children?

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
What happens when the student takes the gun from the teacher? Or the teacher flips out when he can't take those smart-aleck little bastards making him look like a fool everyday?

I'm not anti-gun and i support conceal and carry, but not in schools.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I fail to understand why the students would know who in the faculty/staff is carrying concealed? This certainly would not be public knowledge.

I have yet to see a school shooting that simply holding hostages was the intent...it would seem that death is the ever present motive involved.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join