It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is a Minor Level of OCD Vital To Success

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
From top sports performers to successful businessmen to research scientists - they all have one thing in common: A willingness to perfect the smallest details.

I would argue that many of life's more successful people have a small level of OCD in their make-up - indeed, some may have full blown OCD, such as David Beckham, Steven Gerrard and Jonny Wilkinson, to name but 3 highly successful sportsmen who's obsessive practicing and drive has bought them fame and riches - on the darker side though it has also brought them unhappiness as they strive to control some of their small obsessions, and prevent them taling over their lives.

My question is this:
Is a minor level of OCD vital to success in the modern world, given the competition and the level of tunnel vision necessary to succeed in our society's sense of the word.

Some examples could be;
The lawyer who works 16/18 hours a day.
The businessman who spends massive amounts of time researching
The scientist who becomes so embroiled in his work he forgets to eat
The Doctor who can't rest until he makes the right diagnosis
The sportsman or woman who practices minor skills for hours after everybody else has gone home

There are probably many more examples that people on ATS could name, and I'm sure we all have our odd little habits - but for most of us, these do not take over our lives, and nor do we channel things into other types of obsessive behaviour. But I think it is without question that some do - so is this what can help make a successful person? This minor level of OCD?

We're not talking full blown OCD here, but rather a minor level of it.

Any Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I would say yes -- my habit of obsessing over small things may help me somewhat in life. However, if my expectations are not fit by circumstances, then I tend to anger and need quite some time to "cool off"... which reduces the effect.

I was in "gifted" (high IQ) classes as a child, where most of my fellow students were also perfectionistic -- obsessive about getting it right. It must be perfect or it is simply unworthy of my time and should be discarded. If it is not perfect AARGH GOD DAMMIT NOW I HAVE TO START AGAIN!!

That's how the thought process works, for those who don't work that way. If the result isn't perfect, I can't use it, it must be trashed, I must start again from scratch.

So for perfectionistic/minorly OCD people, the end result winds up being acceptable by us, perhaps wonderful, fantastic, utterly remarkable by other people's standards.

To which end I would say, yes, most successful people likely have minor OCD.

join