It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.22LR best survival cartridge?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
In my opinion the .22LR is the best survival round out there. With alittle practice you can take down small to medium game with it, defend yourself from assailants and carry an almost unlimited supply of ammo.

I'd like to get everyone's opinion on this. I like the assault rifles ( I own one myself ) but wouldn't want to carry one if all I'm doing is trying to is make it back to civilization. Let me know what you think.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Nope, 7.62 ammo is universal.
True, a 22 can take down even large game, if you have a semi-auto and are a good shot, but where are you going to buy the ammo? If you have a couple thousand rounds in your basement, and hope for only a year or so of roughing it, it would be a good choice. But I prefer to take the long view.
A few dozen cases of powder, primers, casings, and a stock of lead will go a long way--not to mention the availibility of 7.62 ammo worldwide stockpiled everywhere. If adversaries appear after the fall, there is a very good chance the will be packing 7.62 that you can appropriate, if you are lucky.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yes 7.62 and 9mm are pretty standard. Also a 38 revolver is a good thing to have stocked in your arsenal (it's one of the most widespread round used by most law enforcement agencies in the world). 12 gage ammo would also be nice when you think about it.
Besides that the capability to make your own rounds is priceless. For survival in the wild I would pick a hunting shotgun/rifle and a 45 as backup (to kill whatever hasn´t died after being taken down or if something ambushes you). This is assuming I’m stranded and am hoping to get to some place with people.
For combat, I would pick something like an AK or Galil maybe I would also have an m16 to have something that fires 5.56X45 NATO ammo in my stash. As backup I would carry a 9mm glock with hollow point ammo.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I like both points. 22lr's are relatively cheap and easy to stockpile both guns and ammunition. I understand that Mossad uses it extensively. The thing about 22's is that the bullet fragments so violently once it enters the body. It works kinda slow though. No real knock-down power.

My long term survival preference for something with knock-down power would be black powder guns. For the long haul you can make your own black (or red) powder and shoot almost anything you can stuff down the barrel. A real plus is that in most of the US they are not legally considered to be firearms. Alas, the winds of change are probably working on that as you read this.

The 7.62 falls somewhere in between as long as there's still ammo anywhere.

I also like a good 12ga shotgun handy for close work. ;-)

Best thing though is to use enough stealth to not have to use any of them. Using a gun against another human being is always number 2 on my "things to not do today" list. Wanna guess what number 1 is?

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I can pick more than 1? Goodie goodie!!
9MM Glock
45 ACP, good old govt issue.
S&W 38 Cal.
Browning 12 Ga. semi auto.
AK 47
M16
Spare parts and ammo available everywhere, with probably the only exception being the Glock, and all fairly easy reload.
If I can only choose 1, sorry, it has to be the AK. Damned things made in the billions, parts everywhere, from the closet of the drug dealer down the street, to upper class gun shops.

top topics

join