It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Biggest Ever BitTorrent Leak: MediaDefender Internal Emails Go Public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   

The Biggest Ever BitTorrent Leak: MediaDefender Internal Emails Go Public

torrentfreak.com

Media Defender, a notorious anti-piracy gang working for the MPAA, RIAA and several independent media production companies, just launched their very own video upload service called “miivi.com”. The sole purpose of the site is to trap people into uploading copyrighted material, and bust them for doing so.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
hmmm. 700mb worth of emails covering a 6 month period have been leaked onto the internet showing how media defender had apparently been planning a huge 'entrapment' campaign with their fake site called miivi.com.

the emails detail the ip's to be used, warnings about interviewing potential employees in case they were spying on them, tracking p2p users, disrupting services etc as well as other information like where to go to lunch and how they view p*rn during office hours

ironically, media defender is hired by many companies to stop leaks of this sort from happening.

you can't help but laugh at that really

torrentfreak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Fools got busted big time

Just goes to show, until the entertainment industry gets it thru its collective thick heads we're jacked at being ripped off pricewise with all media, they're never going to slow piracy down in any meaningful way.

Let alone stop it...

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Is it point and laugh time?

Yes... yes, I think it is!

How Ironic is it that they were breaking the law while trying to catch law breakers?

[edit on 18-9-2007 by BitRaiser]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I'm surprised they hadn't come up with the idea a year or two ago.

Andrew Keen has a book out "the cult of the amateur" that goes into ridiculous detail of why the internet is failing but more interestingly, why the record and movie industry is going bankrupt.

Just get the book from the library, don't buy it because it isn't worth buying.

The recording industry doesn't understand why someone steals their music. The thought of paying full price for a CD that has maybe one decent song. People want to buy that one song, but have no options. (only very recently have you been able to buy one song at a time for your Ipod or Mp3 player) The term "cherry picking" is used in this manner. Well, back in the good ol' days of vinyl, people could buy a 45 with the hit on 'A' side and another song on the 'B' side. It worked for many, many years. You'd think someone would get a clue over this.

As for the movie industry, they just need to release movies quicker on DVD - Blu-ray format. Some people would rather stay at home, let the kids cry, and eat cheap treats on their on sofa; than pay outrageous prices at capitalistic houses of worship for the movie industry. The industry is starting to embrace movie on demand, but it is a slow start.

By the same token, there are reasons to use torrent files that are legal.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

That guy you talk about was on Colbert, he is an elitist. He said that now anyone can create art, or write articles so now there is all trash. I ask you is it better for the only a few versions to be controlled by a few with a self serving goal, or everybody release things and the best rise to the top, not the item with the most money behind it.

I agree with you I would never buy his book, he was so snobish it was over the top. I actually got angry at his existance, a rare thing for me.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Does anyone remember Earth Station 5? It was a p2p program from a few years ago that got shut down when they started getting rumours that they were actually the RIAA / MPAA and they had a trojan which installs itself, supposedly keeping tabs on your computer habits. Too much dodgy stuff going down. Never found out what the real story was there.

Infiltration is their only means of doing *something*.. but it's never gonna take the whole kit-n-kaboodle down. Remember when Pirate Bay got their servers raided? They were back up and running in no time at all. There's just so much material out there now, it's unreal. Rapidshare's servers must be 99% full of lightfingered booty and free filesharing servers are springing up all over the place. There's simply no way to keep a lid on this. Maybe they thought they had it won when they were suing grandmas and children on Kazaa but I would imagine it's gotten to the point where the overwhelming majority of internet traffic must consist of file sharing in one way or another. The horse has long bolted.

And do I care? No way, I love searching for out-of-print albums complete with cover art that you'd no longer find in a shop! That's the joy of the internet for me - the joy of giving and sharing!

top topics

join