It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite makes village ill? Yikes!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Cool, maybe the Villagers will all start turing into Zombies!

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WASTYT

Seems that this story is starting to take on a life of its own as the
media outlets compete with each other. I wonder what "new"
information will be fabricated next?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Freakaloin

Wow, another Mel's hole down in Peru.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
this is odd to me. The other night i was watching a film called 48 weeks later (cheap spin off of 28 days/weeks) and the whole zombie situation starts with a meteor

www.hmv.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
forgetomori.com...

here is the article that shows the crater

what i meant about the Galileo probe coming by the earth at the same time was that it could have infact been what hit, and if re-entry breeched it containment the extreme heat and the radioactivity of its nuclear power cell could cause radiation sickness like this ????? any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Looks better if we just post the photo on here instead of links, not everyone can be bothered to click links..

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
this is pretty interesting

here is the full article(its in german but actually there are not more information than already posted here)
spiegel.de

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

"...Carancas residents have also reported a change in behavior among cattle and sheep that they say have been "acting strangely and refuse to eat," the mayor said...."
and
"...Lopez said that despite wearing a mask while he approached the crater, the fumes irritated his nose and throat."

Source: afp.google.com...

I guess there´s much to this story yet.
Cattle don´t have "mass-hysteria" or mental trauma from an accident.
We must keep an eye on this, understand this. It happened in "a distant village in Peru", but it could happen in your town.

See you all on the flip side.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Sator]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GideonHM
The original newspost said 20 meters (6ft) deep.
Just to clear things, the article that was pointed to us on the first post says "20 metre wide crater".

1 m equals about 3.3 ft, so 20 metres=66ft

And you should take the time to read these other posts, because many people are giving some great input, and others are turning into radioactive space zombies!! Oh my!
Now I have read it all (but not all the articles linked), I was at my lunch break when I made my first post.

I would like to know if someone could point to one of the articles that talk about "lead and silver pieces", the articles I saw only speak of rocks and cinders.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well, NASA finally says something about this, that nothing happened!
"Scientists doubt that the supposed meteorite strike that sickened some 200 residents of Peru last weekend actually involved anything from space"

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
When NASA says that nothing happened, you can be sure that something did.
To me, it looks like a small meteor hit, causing a release of some sub surface gases caused by the reaction of the hot meteor with a element in the soil and water. The boiling was most likely gases being released. The dead animals would have resulted from the gases, and the sick people (120 - 200 from Peruvian medical reports) was the result of handling a 'luminous substance' that was kicked up out of the ground from the impact. The 'luminous substance' is probably the element in the soil that reacted with the water and hot meteor to cause the gas.
I'm waiting for analysis of the 'luminous substance'. It will probably prove to be one of several naturally occuring minerals that glow and are toxic when handled. An since the ground is obviously alluvial, the odds of a rock containing this type of mineral is pretty good. Looks like it was just a stroke of bad luck. If the meteor strike had been a few yards either way, it probably wouldn't have had the effect.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This article confirms it is indeed a meteorite, the impact is 5x17 meters and states more than 150 people have become ill now (and more than 600 people are affected by it)..
They are even setting up medical tents outside the hospital now..

www.livinginperu.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
well if the number of sick continues to raise they will put the whole area under quarantine and that will be it for discovering what really happened as after this point military will take over . At least thats my opinion based on that they are calling a state of emergency already.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Fuggle
My first thoughts also. The history of the land use would be an nice addition to the facts. My guess is that the effects will have a terrestrial source.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
In the peruvian newspaper Correo, it's said that the illness was caused by emission of ozone, due the meteor fall.

The director of the health service of Puno said the illness was not serious
(due ozone intake) but said patients could have complications on the long run.
The local authorities are intending to declare state of emergency in the area the meteor fell.

Here's the link, perhaps somebody can translate better than me.

www.correoperu.com.pe...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
recent post made by Lightsinyourmind

American Spy Satellite Downed In Peru
I am not sure if this has been covered seems strange. I would guess it is a bogus story, because the satellite would burn up in reentry?? or could it make a hole like this?
DWT

[edit on 19-9-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

If a satellite has a stronger shield in some area that could survive the reentry.

Atomic reactors are known cases of areas with stronger shields, I think a Russian satellite fell some years ago and there was some talk about it because it had a small atomic reactor.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the correction on the depth. Now everyone must remember that there has been no detected radioactivity at all around this impact crater. People keep mentioning radioactivity, but that was one of the first issues of contention that has been cleared up. As for ozone, that would require an electrical discharge in order to create the O3, and besides ozone is blue and would have easily been ruled in early on in this investigation had it been detected by its signature smell, which this gas has not.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well this is all very odd.
I do have a question though. What are the chances that whatever this object was, hit the ground at a 90 degree angle?? The pictures of the crater show it to be pretty round indicating that it did. Wouldn't the crater be more eliptically shaped in the more likely event that the object struck the ground at a different angle? Or am I missing something here?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I am on my way to Puno tomorrow after I meet my girlfriend in Lima, Peru. She has relatives not far from the spot where the rock fell, and it's nothing extraordinary really. The only special quality of this rock is that it appears to be loaded with metals and minerals, and it's likely that gases generated by its entry are the cause of the illness. Only a few people are actually sick, and they were close enough to see the rock in the ground at the time. I love weird news and such, but the earthquake they had recently is far more interesting. I just ran across this and thought I'd put in y 2 cents.

If I find out anything really exciting about this, I'll post again.

Take care folks.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join