It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Christian political party being formed in New Zealand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   

New Christian political party being formed in New Zealand

tvnz.co.nz

Destiny New Zealand will no longer be a political party.

Destiny Church leader Brian Tamaki announced the party will be de-registered from Tuesday, making way for a new Christian political party.

"The reality is if we, New Zealand's Christian community and those who care about family values are to have a genuine voice in parliament, we will be far more effective together than we are apart," Tamaki said as he made the announcement.

Tamaki won't be drawn on whether he will stand in next year's parliamentary elections.

He says he will be on the party's National Advisory Committee but standing for a seat in parliament could be an option.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Well given Tamaki track record I of very wary of the yet to be named party that is being formed. Sure I understand that National is short of coalition partners when it comes to forming a center right wing government these nut cases aren't the answer. I would much rather see the National Party in coalition with New Zealand First (minus it anti emigration stance) and/Or ACT.

The yet to be named party could also do harm to the political right in NZ by taking votes away from National and reducing there chances of forming a government under MMP. I hope that the NZ electorate on all ends of the political spectrum sends a message that they want the country to remain secular.

tvnz.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Heres an update for those who are interested.

Brian Tamaki announced that Copeland was one of the leaders but the Independent MP is furious he was not warned the name of the other leader, Destiny's Richard Lewis, would also be announced.
"I have never seen any politician have to field a curve ball as big as that," says Copeland.

"Chaotic, shambolic, amusing to watch, but frankly, anything that involves Tamaki and the black shirts is doomed to fail," says United Future leader, Peter Dunne.

source

Well its clear that Tamaki is the main player here and Dunne is most likely right but anybody who supports the separation of the Church and the State still needs to be wary and vigilant. I understand that National is short of coalition partners but surely after Brash links with the another group of fruit cakes known as the Exclusive Brethren brought down his leadership you would think National would stay well clear of this new party.

Threats to personal freedoms can come from anywhere if Labor isnt telling schools what they can sell for lunch in canteens this yet to be named party is lurking in the background. Labor could get get re elected if voters view them as a lesser evil.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by xpert11]

new topics

join