Mumified Lion Guarding the Tomb of King Tut's Royal Nurse

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This has been in the archaeology news lately, but I haven't seen mention of it here. This is a significant find, because there's a lot of mention of lions in the material from ancient Egypt, but there haven't been any actual bodies found. Lions were, in fact, bred and apparently kept as pets and guardians.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
(rats. Hit the wrong key)

In any case, this is extremely significant because it changes the cultural context of what the lion symbol meant to them... or, rather, provides PROOF of a new context. It was found to be ritually aligned to the East (meaning it wasn't just let in the tomb and left to die). It was old (and therefore a creature of significance) and one of the largest lions found.

And anthropologists and Egyptologists are already squabbling over the real significance of this. There *may* be other lion mummies around. Finding one would add clues about which idea(s) is correct.

To give you an idea of how huge this guy was, stand up... and then place your hand right about at level of your armpit. If you're of average height, that would have been the top of the lion's head (with mane -- not the actual skull) when he stood next to you.

He was left in an area dedicated to Bast, which was apparently turned into a temple after the original burial.

(more URLS)
news.bbc.co.uk...

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040114/ap_on_sc/lion_mummy

paktribune.com...

((g)... what can I say? I like lions. And Bast. And Egyptology)

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It is quite interesting that lions don't have a bigger role in egyptology.

The most famous mummified animals were the Apis Bulls.

www.touregypt.net...

You'd think that lions,with their obvious strength would be more prominent.

And why entombed with the nanny?

I'm not big on egyptology.Did the ancient Egyptians kill those close to the king when he died?
His pet,his nanny to look after him in the afterlife?

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
It is quite interesting that lions don't have a bigger role in egyptology.

It is. Actually, the evidence isn't complete on this, which is why there's lots of argument on it. We do know that they kept lions as pets. We also know that they were emblems of the Pharoah and that they and other large cats (cheetahs) were used for hunting.

The most famous mummified animals were the Apis Bulls.

It's kind of mind-boggling to contemplate mummifying something that big, y'know?

You'd think that lions,with their obvious strength would be more prominent. And why entombed with the nanny?

That's the $64,000,000 question. It seems to be a LATER burial, and there were a lot (thousands, I think one site said) of other mummies in the tomb area, some of cats and some of dogs and some of humans. The lion is buried in a part of the tomb that was a temple to Bast, the cat-headed goddess who had a son who was lionheaded.

It's more likely that the lion was put there because of the Bast association than because of the nanny.

I'm not big on egyptology.Did the ancient Egyptians kill those close to the king when he died?
His pet,his nanny to look after him in the afterlife?

Italian operas ("Aida") and films ("The Mummy") to the contrary, no they didn't.

join