It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you ever had an atheist come to your house to try and convert ya?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The Soviets were officially Atheist as a State or Country. Totalitarianism isn't quite religion because .. even though they give their all to the Motherland, to the Country, fanatically, they don't think that the Country created the world, nor did they think the Country was going to give them a life after death.

You can say it was just like a religion, and it was. So was Nazism in Germany, very much like a religion.

But I think the right word there is .. nationalist fundamentalists?

[edit on 9/17/2007 by runetang]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Kacen, there is a misunderstanding. They weren't completely atheists. That was what was said of them, and what they said of themselves, but they worshipped the STATE and the head of the STATE. Totalitarianism is religious fundamentalism. The state was their god.

Check out Christopher Hitchens's God is Not Great for a longer explanation of why they were not true atheists.

IMO it becomes a god when you put them at the level of supernatural being.

They knew that he was not supernatural.

They obeyed their leader, that is not necessarily worship, as in religion.

Regardless of the fact, they persecuted Christians and Jews and any other religion in their country. Religion was never actually made illegal, only in a few Soviet satellite Republics, such as Albania, was it illegal, but regardless pestering and discrimination against religious people was encouraged. In school kids were taught and encouraged to make fun of and annoy other kids who wore Christian crosses or other religious symbols. And I think themselves calling themselves atheists is enough.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
There is a word I just learned, that describes state-worship as statolatry.

It was defined as pagan worship of the state by Pope Pius XI.

Totalitarianism is state-worship. Which is a form of religion, not true atheism.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Which is a form of religion, not true atheism.

Err...atheism doesn't mean lack of religion, it means lack of a belief in God. That does render an atheist an obvious non-member of many religions, but some religions such as Buddhism have no god, so technically, all Buddhists are atheists.

Someone who has no religion but may or may not believe in god (usually retains a neutral opinion on god's existence) would be considered agnostic.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Oh, just to split hairs, because it's fun. I don't believe Buddhism is truly atheist. They have a religion that deals with the supernatural -- they believe in the reincarnation of the soul, and nirvana (if I'm remembering correctly). That, to me, isn't truly atheism. But perhaps it's because I'm marrying science with atheism and just extrapolating it from there. Most of the people I know who claim to be atheists do not believe in ANYTHING supernatural, including ghosts, an afterlife, or the Easter Bunny. With certain of us excepting the Flying Spaghetti Monster (may you be Touched by His Noodly Appendage).

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
this brings up a good point - it's not all christians that come to your door, its pretty much just Jehovah Witnesses.

I'm afraid that's incorrect. Here in the Bible Belt of North Carolina, it's the Southern Baptists. I usually tell them that I already know what Baptists believe and don't agree with their views. I'm fairly direct, but not rude. Sometimes for kicks, I'll tell them that I walk the Path of the Jedi and believe in the Force. They never know what to say to that.

Interestingly, the JWs once found me while I was living in the Colorado Mountains at the end of a 3 mile long driveway that was little more than a logging road up into a box canyon. My dogs wouldn't let them out of the car but they sat there until I walked up and talked to them. They are determined. I'll say that for them.

Why do they do it? Well, I think the common Holy Roller does think they are doing the work of their God. They are doing what they have been instructed to do by their Church Leadership and their Holy Books. It also must be pretty gratifying to one's ego to think that they might have a chance to save someone's immortal soul for all time. Seeing that most religions seem to work on some sort of reward system (ie: "live like we say or you don't go to heaven"), I am sure that being out strengthening the numbers of one's cult ---- er, church, is bound to score points in the big old ledger in the sky.

Life is a job. You get $14.50 a day, but after you die, you have to pay for your sins. Stealing a hub cap is around $100. Masturbation is 35 cents (it doesn't seem like much, but it adds up). If there's money left when you subtract what you owe from what you've earned, you can go to heaven. If not, you have to go back to work. (Sort of like reincarnation -- many nuns are Mafia guys working it off.)
-- Father Guido Sarducci

It's also about money. I believe that the various Church Leaders are a lot more pragmatic about it and realize that more worshipers means more $$$ in the collection plate. Religion is Big Business and more customers is the only way to profit. Same reason the Catholics are against birth control.

It's also about power. The perceived power of any Religion is directly based on how many adherants it has. Even the US Government marks the difference between a Cult and a Religion by if it has a certain number of members (not sure what that number currently is) or not. It's a characteristic of humanity that we are usually all programed (or maybe hardwired from the early pack/heard eras) to believe that a larger number of people are smarter than a fewer number of people. It's not really true in most cases, but the instinct to believe it is there. In religion it translates to the belief that the more people there are who believe the same thing you do, the more likely it is that what you believe is correct. It's a method of validating faith.

Lastly, I'm sure that there are actually some folks out there who are woefully misguided but well intentioned, and do this out of sincere and profound love for their fellow humans. They truely believe that they are doing what is right and these people's motivations are pure even if their dogma and beliefs are probably not. Not sure that I've actually met any of these people, but I'm sure there are a few.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It's easy to answer why relgious people woud come to your door but, I think it's more important to ask why it's necessary, you know? Seems kind of ludacris that something that great has to be spread door to door like girl scout cookies..

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
removed

[edit on 17-9-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Just from a short count from my general knowledge of history and ancient civ's, about 150 less wars. Give or take a few.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ambient Sound

(Sort of like reincarnation -- many nuns are Mafia guys working it off.)

LOL! I am sorry that part was just so funny. Not so tough any more are they?

Back to the subject, as you see in my original post I said, personally I never seen anyone other then JW come to my house.

In my 10 years that I have lived here in Canada, I have never had people from a variety of religions come to my door. I have only had Jehovah's witnesses, and they do tend to get very annoying.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Here i only get JW's and i dont usually mind to much, i just tell them im catholic and dont go to your house asking you to join us so leave me alone and usually that is enough to do the trick. for those that are rather persistent i i just remove the mouth filter and offend them until they leave in a huff and if that doesnt work i let the dog on em (and no i have no worries about my dog ever doing anything to them other growling and looking like the devil).

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Oh, just to split hairs, because it's fun. I don't believe Buddhism is truly atheist. They have a religion that deals with the supernatural -- they believe in the reincarnation of the soul, and nirvana (if I'm remembering correctly). That, to me, isn't truly atheism. But perhaps it's because I'm marrying science with atheism and just extrapolating it from there. Most of the people I know who claim to be atheists do not believe in ANYTHING supernatural, including ghosts, an afterlife, or the Easter Bunny. With certain of us excepting the Flying Spaghetti Monster (may you be Touched by His Noodly Appendage).

Exactly, your marrying science with atheist, that is not tied together always.

I will repeat: Atheist = lack of a belief in god/gods. Thats ALL it means.

Also please the FSM is such an old meme it's just not funny anymore.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Soviet soldiers weren't atheists. They were totalitarians -- they practiced a worship of the state. Totalitarians are religious fundamentalists, even if they say they don't worship god.

I would appreciate it if you would please stop slandering atheists with propaganda and misinformation.

They worshipped the state???
With incense, on thier knees??? Give it a break MMF.

Totalitarianism is not religion but physical oppression
Athiest are "religious fundamentalists, even if they say they don't worship God." You can't have it both ways.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Also, many people don't bother to go to church to find out what it's all about, so some christians go out of thier way to help people, at home.
I don't subscribe to many of the Jehovah witness doctrines.
I am old time pentecostal. BTW, I became a christian after watching T.V. with a hangover and I couldn't find the remote to turn it, so I listened to the old Baptist preacher out of Marrietta.
I thought God was (hopefully a woman) bacause I was tired of male chauvenism.....
I found out he was male AND he really loved me, not for just what he could get out of me.AND I'm not going to hell, anymore....

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ClearskiesI found out he was male AND he really loved me, not for just what he could get out of me.AND I'm not going to hell, anymore....

In all honesty, if god exists, I'm sure god is neither male or female. Really, umm, god has genitals...?

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

Man, made in the image of God.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by depth om

why would god need genitals?
seriously, the only purpose of genitalia is the expulsion of waste and reproduction...
i'm pretty sure your god would have nothing to have sex with... you know, being the only being of its kind and all
and i doubt your god would need to urinate.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
this brings up a good point - it's not all christians that come to your door, its pretty much just Jehovah Witnesses.

yeah, it's the jehovas.....i didn't know when we bought the house, and i still would have bought the house but 1.4 miles down the backroads(i clocked it) there is a jehova church......i told my wife that in the summer(i live in ohio) we can expect them to hit our door multile times......they did.

what bothers me is that they can clearly see the no soliciting sign cause it is almost eye level on my front door.

a while back there were these lawn system dudes going door to door. i waited like a ninja to see if they were gonna knock on my door cause i was going to flip....see, it's not just the religious folk...i don't want ANYONE coming to my door. NOBODY.
so these lawn system dudes are walking up my driveway and i am ready to pounce...they get up to the door and they musta seen the sign cause they just turned around.....THAT is what you are supposed to do.
the very first time they came to my house i actually interviewed them..i have a voice recorder and i questioned them, told em i don't believe, and then i put it on my forum.....i'll have to see if i can find it

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
also, i don't like being accosted in public....i have become increasing more 'volitile' with these people....

go to hollywood video and as you stand in line, you got some religious dude tring to pass off this flyer to you, telling you to be saved and trying to engage you in conversation....i tell him to keep it and leave me alone but he stops...

so is it the general concensus that they(whoever does these things, got it equinox) feel like they can come to your house and accost you in public cause the book says so or they want to save you?

forget about peoples right to prvacy and all that right.....

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
BD you know the laws of privacy and common decency, not to mention the commandment against lying, go out the window when someone is trying to shove their "good news" down your throat.

This is why I say it's all cults to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join