It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you ever had an atheist come to your house to try and convert ya?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
cause i am at my wits end with the religious folk coming to my door..

to those that are believers, what makes you feel like you should go on other peoples property to try and engage them in a conversation to 'convert them'....why?

i have a no trespassing sign and a no soliciting sign right on my door but yet they come up again, in their caddy, AGAIN...

please don't tell me all the cool things to do when they come to the door as i get rid of them fast enough...

for the religious in here, do you agree with this?

for the religious in this thread? how would you feel if atheists just came to your house at random days/times and engaged you in conversation about how everything you believe in is wrong and "take this flyer, come to church, blah blah"....

seriously man.....

my dog goes absolutely ballistic when people knowck on the door. i just opened it so the screen door was between us....as they were trying to talk my dog was going nutso and i was just yelling "what, can't here ya...my dog is trying to get out the door to get at you"....
they left....
so, i have that under controll....

i want to know how you guys feel....all are welcome

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
When Party Atheists come to people's door, they knock it down, put you face down and arrest you. Maybe with a police dog. I've heard first hand accounts of soviet soldiers who arrested people while beating them mercilessly! They later became born again.
I'd much rather have people who are concerned about my spiritual condition come to my door, even if it's hindus, I wouldn't let them in though, but it's a free country.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Soviet soldiers weren't atheists. They were totalitarians -- they practiced a worship of the state. Totalitarians are religious fundamentalists, even if they say they don't worship god.

I would appreciate it if you would please stop slandering atheists with propaganda and misinformation.

For a laugh, BD, here is a video just for you ...

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

what are you on about?

i don't think i can decypher any of what you just said.....

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

funniest thing i have seen, EVER...thanks..

bwuahahahahahahah

the best part for me at least was when the old religious guy started to hit them with his broom...

bwuahahahahah

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

yea,kinda like how the christians use to do like the inquisition ...but they dont want to remember that now do they.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

I am sorry, did I interupt your TV show?

to those that are believers, what makes you feel like you should go on other peoples property to try and engage them in a conversation to 'convert them'....why?

Sir, I have never been to anyones property to convert them, so when sayin 'YOU' can you be more specific?
I do not intend to convert you, nor do I care if you worship nothing or a yellow ball, that is your choice. Everyone has their own agendas, everyone thinks differently. You should try telling them to get lost and if that does not work, then buy yourself a pitbull and keep it out from at all times, that should set them straight.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by KINGOFPAIN

Okay I have a question for you atheists, would we be in a Utopic society if there was no Religion? Would we be living on different planets? would greed, genocide, famine, murder, rape and any attrocity banish? Please answer these questions.

To my knowledge, if the leaders could not manipulated religion at the time, then they would have found a different way to invade those countries.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
i'd respond to that, however it's off topic.

Back on topic, I think it would be interesting to see the response of atheist door-to-door "salesmen." I've been confronted by Jehovah Witnesses and the like plenty of times.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

I am sorry, did I interupt your TV show?

Sir, I have never been to anyones property to convert them, so when sayin 'YOU' can you be more specific?

first, i don't know what your little tv comment is supposed to mean so i will write it off as religious dribble.

as to more specific....if YOU(meaning you there equinox) have done or condone the things i mentioned in the first post, then i am talking to YOU(again, to you equinox)....if not, then i am not talking to YOU(equinox)...

hows that?

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

and that all has what exactly to do with my thread?
nothing....

i'll bite though....to answer simply and honestly, i don't know...i don't know what would happen if there was no religion or one day it vanished...

i WANT to find out though....it's a plague, IMO.....

can we get back to my questions now since i did answer you?

thanks

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I've had people come to my door in an attempt to convert or invite me to their church. I simply tell them that I'm a Christian and am not interested. I'm polite and friendly but firm. Guess I'd act similarly if an atheist was knocking.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I've never had an atheist come to my door, but I used to get visits from some pesky Jehovah Witnesses. Many times I tried being polite to this same lady over and over but it ended when she left mad and offended.

I didn't have any signs up prohibiting anyone from coming on my property. I have no idea where you live but here in the State of Ohio - if you have posted signs to keep people off of your property and it is violated, that is considered criminal trespass and can be prosecuted. So next time, quit playing games with them, walk outside and take down the plate number off their car and turn them in. Just harping about it on here won't get anything accomplished - right?

I have a doberman & a chihuahua and they go ballistic if someone just walks down our street, let alone comes on the property. Usually the dobi's deep bark prevents anyone from walking up.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Lol, this is funny to hear about. I'm sorry you have door knockers so much. I've only had one pair of door knockers. It happened when my Theology was alot younger and less developed, but I was on the right track.

I live in Virginia, technically in the bible belt, and so .. you'd think I'd get more. But these guys only came once. They were Mormons, younger guys, two of them on bicycles in the typical black outfits. They came to chat! So i came outside, halfway stoned, and we all sat down together in chairs on my front area outside the front door, covered by a little roof of sorts. I immediately light up a cigarette, and man did I get the stink eye from one of those dudes! Lol.

So they ask me, "Have you ever read the Book of Mormon?"

And I said, "Yeah, I read through parts of it, some of it is okay, but there are a few things in there that are inaccurate to history when compared to all other Christian writings."

They say, "What would that be?"

And I said, "Well .. for one, the Jaredites. This tribe, supposedly Hamitic, or dark skinned "African", was instructed by God to build boats and sail over the Atlantic Ocean to find America. And this supposedly happened in the thousands B.C., like back in time shortly after the flood, maybe even before it. Yet in no other Christian or Judeo text will you find a word about this tribe or this event. And in America there is no trace of them. So I do not believe that happened."

Then they asked me, "Well what do you believe?"

And I told them I was a Judeo-Christian, I follow the Ten Commandments of Moses, and prior to him, the Seven Noahide Commandments, some of which were the same. I said I was a Monotheist, I believe Jesus was the son of God in the sense that we are all sons of God but that his power was granted to him via the Holy Spirit as some call it by God, and was not God-incarnate, as many Christians believe. I also said that I believe Jews, Christians, and Muslims all worship the same God, in different ways, names, and this is because of the different cultures. But the similarities in the Religions are the same, theyre all Monotheist, they all have something along the lines of a similar moral code, and therefore will all goto heaven, whether or not they explicitly claim that Jesus was the literal son of God.

At this point they were perplexed! I kind of turned their whole religious world upside on them. So then the other kid takes over and says to me, "Have you ever prayed over the Book of Mormon and asked God if it was true?"

And I told him that no, I hadn't actually prayed and asked God if this book were true or not, that I didn't bother him with such things.

So he says, "If I give you this Book of Mormon will you read it and then pray to God and ask if it is true?" So I said sure! Oh my, I made a fib.

I never read it, never prayed on it, gave it to a friend who wanted it, lol.

Those guys never came back. They did question my lifestyle, they said, "Do you want to become a fully practicing Christian, but cant give up your NON-CHRISTIAN LIFESTYLE, such as smoking cigarettes! Oh the nerve!

I replied that God have us all seed bearing plants to use, and referred to the exact Biblical passage, I forgot which one now, this was over a year ago.

Never saw those guys again, and at the end I even said, hey if you're ever in the area and want something to drink, i know its hot out here (summer time), feel free to stop by. But they never did, as I expected, hehe.

So my advice is, sit down and talk to them and flatly but not rudely explain your beliefs, and go beyond that to explain why you cant accept Mormonism, or whichever type of Religion they are pushing on you. Then they wont be able to debate you, because they aren't any good at it and have no real ammo, and they'll go away.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Soviet soldiers weren't atheists. They were totalitarians -- they practiced a worship of the state. Totalitarians are religious fundamentalists, even if they say they don't worship god.

MM, no offense, I'm almost atheist myself, but sadly the Soviets were indeed extremist atheists. They tried to exterminate religion.

In fact I'm ashamed to say thats one of the reasons why in the past I thought they were "cool". I used to be an extremist atheist myself.

Now that I realize what true communism is and I hate it, I can't like Soviets anymore. But, sadly, occasionally when annoyed to death by religious people, a slight "Go die in a Soviet gulag" slips out.

*sigh* But it is true in the distant past the Catholic church killed way more.

[edit on 9/17/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Kacen, there is a misunderstanding. They weren't completely atheists. That was what was said of them, and what they said of themselves, but they worshipped the STATE and the head of the STATE. Totalitarianism is religious fundamentalism. The state was their god.

Check out Christopher Hitchens's God is Not Great for a longer explanation of why they were not true atheists.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I wish Atheists came to my house and tried to convert me! Well... they wouldn't have to. But yeah I'd invite them back for tea.

Around where I live, they'd be shot in a second though. Think small Texas town centered around Churches.

I have been pestered with Jehovah's Witnesses though. I don't quite understand why they travel in pairs, but it's kind of creepy, like some sort of cult ritual.

No, get this. These Jehovah's Witnesses went to my Muslim neighbor's house and pestered her. It went like this.

"Hi we came to spread the word of God."
"I'm Muslim."
"Well, we'd like to talk to you about the joy of being a child of God."
"First I'd like to tell you the joy of being a Muslim."
"But you won't go to heaven. If you convert, you'll go to heaven like us."
"After Muslims. Goodbye."
*close door*

Errrr, they are enfuriating! And they came back again!

And I know what you mean, OP. My dog goes ballistic as well, so I had to hold my dog and talk to them at the same time because I didn't want them coming into my house spreading all their ... Jehovah germs everywhere.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

There is a difference between a believer that knocks on your door, and a specific religion that knocks on your door. In my 10 years that I have lived here in Canada, I have never had people from a variety of religions come to my door. I have only had Jehovah's witnesses, and they do tend to get very annoying. I still have the same ones coming here once a month to try to, I guess convert us. I understand your frustration with people trying to convert you.
Honestly though, if my pit bull plan does not work then nothing will.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Looool I just seen that video! I could not watch it before, I can now and I am cracking up.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
this brings up a good point - it's not all christians that come to your door, its pretty much just Jehovah Witnesses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join