It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is my company car being tracked without my knowledge?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I am not saying you do FiftyFifty, but like I said, there is no way I personally would do any 'personal' google searches on a work computer.

Case in point, I worked as a graphic designer at the local newspaper, that is owned by some big corp now. If I needed to send an ad to another employee 40 feet away, my email first had to go to the 'corporate' head quarters, 2000 miles away, and back to the location 40 feet away. I am not saying they read every email, but they could...

Enough to never send an email to a coworker about anything besides work, ya know?
DocMoreau

Best of luck figuring out what your box is...

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

FWIW, I work on a gov't computer all day long, behind a .mil firewall and go to ATS all day long. Ive been doing it for years and they dont say anything.

i cant log in and post, but I can read all day long.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Look if its not your car and you don't pay for it, then the owner can do what they want. And if its a company car then you should not be taking it where you go its bad advertisment to see a comany truck at a strip place or whatever, I wouldnt be worried but one thing I would like to add is they can track your speed and send alerts when ANY of their cars go over say 80.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
the company vehicle I drive has a GPS device with a cellular transmitter.
It is a small box with LEDs on it. It is mounted under the dash on passenger side.
They can track me live in real time. They can tell if the car is moving or parked.
There are certain flags programmed that send an e-mail to my manager also.
If i drive over 70 mph.
If I park near my residence during working hours 8am - 5pm, or going home early.
If the vehicle is running after 5:30 on any day of the week. And If it starts at all during the weekend.
And leaving the house after 7:30am (must be at job for 8:00am).

My employer told me about the GPS before I was hired, and I accept it.
Actually I expected it.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
To answer your question

Is my company car being tracked without my knowledge?

The answer is NO, you figured it out and now have knowledge of it.

I did chuckle when you said the invasion of privacy thing. The idea of right to privacy has been gone for a long time, by the way, if they wanted to, they could also put a mic on that little transmitter, but I see no reason for that in your situation.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Did anyone notice on the www.gpsonsale.com link that one of the real time devices is called 'BigBrother'?

Can calculate state mileage taxes for trucks

Here, at www.teentracking.com..., they're trying to sell it as a teen tracker.

Benefits:

Peace of mind for parents.
Easy 2-wire installation!
Helps build trust between teens and their parents
Receive an alarm when your child violates speed or boundary settings.
Low cost tracking service (No cellular subscription).
Works in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Tracking to work globally (Dec 2005).
Track from anywhere in the world over the Internet
If the car or phone is stolen, police will know exactly where it is located.

At www.gpsfast.com, they sell 'Little Brother' as well.

Small businesses and Fleet operators can increase productivity, reduce costs and see higher profits using our Little Brother™ and Big Brother™ Tracking Systems from SecuraCom GPS and GPS Anywhere! Costs go down, while employee productivity goes up...

Interesting names for these products.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by Ingolstadt]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
the gps in my company suv is right on top of the center consol. its about 6in long 4 in tall and 1in thick it has one light that changes from red to green. of course im sure they get smaller.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 1freelectron

christ man...what bizz are you in?

thats no joke right there...gotta tight leach on you...

hey, knowing and agreeing is all good. just think it's wild...

can't think of a biz that would do that.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well I have not been informed of any tracking devices in my car and as far as I am aware, they would have to inform me of anything like that? I'm in the UK by the way so maybe laws differ.

In my contract it clearly says that I can drive anywhere at any time without restriction, I could drive to France if I wanted.

As for speed, Ive done up to (fast)mph (on an empty stretch of straight motorway in daylight!) so if they were tracking my speed i'm sure I would have heard about that.

I guess it could be there for insurance purposes but like I say, surely they should have told me it's there... if it is a tracking device of some kind.

[edit on 18-9-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Gathering information is not used to stop speeding, it is used for the day when they decide they need to terminate your employment for some reason they cant support.

Then they go back and look at the data and find other reasons to send you packing.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Those speed pass systems that you can use on toll roads can be used against you too(i.e. calculating your speed between 2 locations and assessing fines, and divorce lawyers have also used them to show folks going somewhere they said they hadn't).

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
what company are you working for? is it run by reptile people or something?

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

I am in the life safety industry. Mainly fire alarms, but I also do security and card access systems. All my customers are commercial and government.
I get to go "behind the scenes" in all these facilities.
I think the tracking does go a bit far. they want to keep their insurance at a minimum. after all we must keep the share holders happy

[edit on 19-9-2007 by 1freelectron]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Is your car being tracked ask your self could you find this GPS tracking device in your car?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by infamouskiller

Could you provide the link that verifies this is a GPS Tracking chip?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Accession Number:
ADA449410

Full Text (pdf) Availability:
Size: 92 KB
Handle / proxy Url: handle.dtic.mil...

Citation Status:
ACTIVE

Title:
Identification - Friend or Foe? The Strategic Uses and Future Implications of the Revolutionary New ID Technologies

Fields and Groups :
150607 - UNCONVENTIONAL WARFARE
170800 - MISCELLANEOUS DETECTION AND DETECTORS
050500 - SOCIOLOGY AND LAW
Corporate Author:
ARMY WAR COLL CARLISLE BARRACKS PA

Personal Author(s):
Pruett, Richard K.

Report Date:
26 APR 2006

Media Count:
31 Pages(s)

Organization Type:
A - ARMY

Report Number(s):
XAUSAWC (XAUSAWC)

DescriptiveNote:
Strategy Research Project

Monitor Acronym(s):
XA (XA)

Monitor Series:
USAWC (USAWC)

Descriptors:
*IDENTIFICATION SYSTEMSZIDENTIFICATION SYSTEMSZ, *COUNTERINSURGENCYZCOUNTERINSURGENCYZ, TRACKINGZTRACKINGZ, SURVEILLANCEZSURVEILLANCEZ, RISK MANAGEMENTZRISK MANAGEMENTZ, BIOMETRYZBIOMETRYZ, PUBLIC OPINIONZPUBLIC OPINIONZ

Identifiers:
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, NATIONAL VALUES, IDENTIFICATION TECHNOLOGIES, PRIVACY, CIVIL LIBERTIES, RFID(RADIOFREQUENCY IDENTIFICATION), INFORMATION DOMINANCE, BIOMETRICS, NATIONAL POWER

Abstract:
Recent developments in identification (ID) technologies are likely to have a revolutionary impact on American society and the manner by which it wages war. The good news is that broader and more creative use of the new ID technologies could enable coalition forces to achieve dramatic victories in the Global War on Terrorism (GWOT) by targeting directly and effectively a critical requirement of most insurgencies: the insurgents' anonymity. The bad news is that these same technologies may be inherently inimical to the future of privacy and American civil liberties. They could transform our nation and others into surveillance societies concentrating in the hands of central governments levers of control without parallel in human history. How to reconcile American interests and values with the imperative to bend every element of national power in their defense is the central paradox of the GWOT. Are the new ID technologies useful means to the important end of securing the United States against potentially cataclysmic attacks or will they subvert the very interests and values at the core of all we seek to defend?

Distribution Limitation(s):
01 - APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

Source Code:

Document Location:
DTIC

Geopolitical Code:

Distribution Statement:
Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited.

Citation Created:
19 JUL 2006

stinet.dtic.mil... &Custom=&querytext=rfid&AD=ADA449410&TI=Identification+-+Friend+or+Foe%3F+The+Strategic+Uses+and+Future+Implications+of+the+Revolutionary+New+ID+Techn ologies&RD=April+26%2C+2006&DC=%26nbsp%3B+%26nbsp%3B+%26nbsp%3B+%26nbsp%3B+%26nbsp%3B+01+-+APPROVED+FOR+PUBLIC+RELEASE&XPC=&PAG=31+Pages%28s%29&MC=&PE =

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
separately-provided external antenna when used, and communicates with the RFID tag reader via the 2.45 GHz band. Maximum communication range is 300 mm. Mitsuo Usami, Senior Chief Researcher at Hitachi's Central Research Laboratory.

techon.nikkeibp.co.jp...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Alls I know is mine was wired through my radio fuse line (so it did not drain battery I assume.) I did not shake the buggers till I figured that out. Of coarse that was 3 state lines later.

Now that is a story.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by infamouskiller

Maximum communication range is 300 mm.

That's not much of a range.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join