It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AOL/Microsoft- Hotmail Censor Truthout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   

AOL/Microsoft- Hotmail Censor Truthout

www.truthout.org

1.) This problem is far larger than we understood. We are learning a lot from the comments sent to us by readers. So - please - keep them coming.

2.) It is becoming increasingly apparent that the Free Email Services - all of them - are a morass. You are a commodity to these administrators and as far as they are concerned your rights are your problem, not theirs. If you are serious about receiving TO, or any other content they are not supportive of, you are pretty much on your own. Bluntly stated: AOL, Microsoft, Yahoo and all of the domains they control restrict what you receive in your inbox. And it is at their discretion, not yours.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.care2.com

[edit on 17-9-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Not really surprised it's coming to this, but... I wouldn't have thought so, this soon.

Only confirms what these forum right now is buzzing with, something is up.

I just tried to subscribe myself. No confirmation. Tried 3 or 4 times. Not one confirmation.

Needless to say, I use hotmail.

Of course I have mailed the editors.

That's what it's coming to: withholding information they don't want you to see.

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I remember reading articles a couple of years back stating that AOL was censoring and denying access to certain "alternative" news and discussion sites.

what we do on the net is open to scrutiny all the time and there is little or nothing we can do about it. I like the notice below on the NEXUS Magazine homepage regarding email / server issues:

* - NEXUS email and server problems - PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT MANY EMAILS TO AND FROM THE USA AND AUSTRALIAN OFFICES ARE GOING ASTRAY. WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT THIS IS DUE TO THE DEPT. OF HOMELAND SECURITY PERIODICALY 'SAMPLING' OUR EMAILS. (It seems we are deemed as "subversive" or something.)

I guess it's us, the population, who are the biggest threat to those in power. The Internet has opened up a BIG can of worms for those in power as we are no longer tied to hearing about world and national issues via controlled and censored corporate media. Try as they might they can't keep things from us as they used to and the bad stuff will get out eventually, so they need to monitor us and what we look at. I'm sure many contributors and visitors to ATS probably have a file on a few government databases, marked as "Person of Interest"

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
(It seems we are deemed as "subversive" or something.)

I guess it's us, the population, who are the biggest threat to those in power. The Internet has opened up a BIG can of worms for those in power as we are no longer tied to hearing about world and national issues via controlled and censored corporate media. Try as they might they can't keep things from us as they used to and the bad stuff will get out eventually, so they need to monitor us and what we look at. I'm sure many contributors and visitors to ATS probably have a file on a few government databases, marked as "Person of Interest"

You sure is right about that, Brit.

I'm a born skeptic myself and maybe geneticly paranoid, so I tend not to believe everything I learn on the net, yah not even here on ATS.

But this site, truthout.org, I'm a great fan of. I did have a subscribtion but it stopped for reasons unknown to me about a year ago. Financial trouble, I thought.

Today I log in and find this story. I was outraged.

What if they did the same to ATS newsletter?

The day they deny us access to a site like this could come sooner than we know.

You're right, they most likely have files on some (all?) of us.

If you feel this is a matter of importance, please flag.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It means censorship, when your provider can determine for you what shall reach your inbox. You might not even know, unless it's something expected of course, for he will not tell you. You don't know what you'll be missing.

I've spend an hour trying to read the T&C for hotmail, and it's solely up to the provider to determine what is appropriate. And you have no say whatsoever.

But unless it's illegal content you recieve, they really shouldn't bother. But they do.

For the site in question, I don't know if it could fall under instigation to rebellion. You have laws of Military Act in force.

You probably know the TruthOut site. It collects alternative news from both mainstream and more underground sources. Great site btw.

Those of you with hotmail/AOL accounts who recieve ATS newsletter, keep and eye on it, if it comes regulary. If not alert.

Censorship - preparation for marshal law?

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
[double post deleted]
Maybe my provider don't like me to post this - I keep getting "cannot find server" when I hit 'post'. Somehow it did anyway.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
CENSORSHIP ALERT: AOL/MICROSOFT-HOTMAIL BLOCKING TRUTHOUT.ORG

While AOL has been largely evasive and silent about their reasons for blocking communications, our server logs and complaints from subscribers illustrate a clear pattern of interference. Microsoft-Hotmail, while not being forthcoming about their actions to the subscribers involved, have stated to our administrators that they are in fact "throttling" and "blocking" our communications.

Further, the Microsoft-Hotmail administrators inform us that they are blocking our communications to Truthout subscribers on their systems due to what they describe as our "reputation."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not sure why nobody has caught this topic. It oughta be of greatest concern to any ATS'er. Maybe it's because I stay 12 hours ahead of EST it doesn't kindle.

I always have to sleep when the going gets on.

Now it's 7 o'clock morning here, so it'll be 7pm on the Eastcoast. I'll give it one more shot.

new topics

top topics

join