It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ship Building

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I wish to know the difference between Laying down of the ship, launching the ship and Final commissioning the ship.

And what is keel and what is hull

MBF

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Check out this link, maybe it will answer some of your questions.

LINK

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Thanks for the info.

I got many answers but still I'm unable to understand the difference between laying down & launching of ship. And what all is done in between laying down & commissioning of ship.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Can anyone clarify me about my questions??
:w:

:bash:

[edit on 19-9-2007 by vedas]

[edit on 9/20/2007 by kinglizard]

MBF

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Laying down the keel is basically the backbone of the ship that the support ribs and frame attach to. Launching is putting the ship into the water.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Hi MBF

Thanks for the reply.

I would also like to know what all is done after launching of ship and before commissioning of ship.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by vedas

Typically a ship is launched and then the outfitting or commissioning continues. The best way to explain it is the fitting out of a house once the walls, plaster, doors and windows are done.

Ships are often launched before being fully fitted out as the dry dock when the keel was laid down may be needs for the start of another ship.

Commossioning is also the opportunity for the owners of the ship to look over their investment and see if it means the requirements.

There are also typically payment clauses based on the ship keel being laided down, the superstructure ready and launching, so the ship builder is often keen to launch as they can present an invoice.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Thanks for the information

new topics

top topics

join