It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ideas for the Weather related Fiction Contest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Just brainstorming some ideas and looking for ways for people to pair themselves for collab.

I'd like to try treating these plot ideas just like we treat 'free avatars', iow, pick any one you want, more than one person can pick an idea, or you can add a few of your own.

Might be good to mention on the thread that you've picked a concept, which might help people team up.

Just off the top of my head:

1. A planet with no moon, or with a moon that was blown away, suddenly has to cope with violent weather. Due to the radiation, a new type of fauna has taken over the planet, and humans, no longer the dominant species live a furtive existence underground. (an obvious take off on Reign of Fire, but with a different focus, maybe)

2. A story similar to the 'Botany Bay' episode of ST:OS, combined with the backstory of Doomsday, the creature that killed Superman. Someone grows up on a planet with a very hostile environment, and moves into suburbia. Hilarity and mayhem ensues. (similarities to Conner, Angel's son notwithstanding, I think there's room for other stories in this vein)

3. A story that takes place inside a secure room, a 'murder mystery', in which no one can go outside because of the chaotic weather. They're possibly on another planet, or dimension: it's not Earthly weather. Due to the weather, no one can leave the 'space mansion'.

4. Due to the ice caps melting a race of humans develops gills and learns to live and adapt to an undersea habitat. This could be highly technological, focusing on the evolution aspect and less on 'The Little Mermaid' type of plot.

5. Two snow boarders miss a turn and are stranded. They end up in a survival situation. There's a paranormal twist involving a large white creature.

6. Romance among technicians that man a special weather monitoring station - it's on a Space Elevator, so when we say weather, we mean Weather. Good for character development in extreme conditions. Though romantic, it can be quite gritty, with a strong survival undertone, perhaps.

7. On a distant planet with two suns a boy and his dog story. Only the dog is a giant sentient Snow-Wolf. Good for Anime fans?

8. An intelligent plant copes with hostile weather, adapts and survive extremes of hot and cold, all the while maintaining a symbiotic relationship with a race of alien creatures that use the plant for shelter. They don't know the plant is 'in charge'. (similar to Kaena-the Prophesy)

Again, just throwing out some ideas. If you see any you feel you have special experience (maybe a science background?) you're welcome to them.

Mainly I'm hoping others will add their ideas.

Edit: here's one more, a favorite of mine:

An ancient god is resurrected by a futuristic sect, and with a sci-fi point of view, begins as 'he/she/it' emerges from the sarcophagus (could be egyptian, aztec, olmec, sumerian, and so on). Soon the god takes control of the weather and decides to bring the world to its knees. Would include research into just what attributes this god had, based on the myths we already know and adapting them to a more modern setting (magic=technology) (Similar to the SG-1 villains, but with a twist).

An alternative of this would be a similar story, but create your own mythic tale of gods on a far off world under an alien sun.

[edit on 16-9-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
One of the best ways, I've found, to learn the craft of 'telling stories' is to build on commonly known characters.

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the Writers here had tried fanfiction.

Again, like many of my plot ideas, it's derivative, but by using a theme that will already sort of carry the story, the beginning or intermediate writer is freed to concentrate on character development rather than trying to tell a 'clever story'.

Just like in painting where you first learn the old masters, their styles and try to imitate them, then ultimately break away.

It's not easy to do. Though several have tried, none of the writers that penned 'James Bond' stories really captured the character the way Fleming did. (Colonel Sun was pretty close)

I'm not trying to argue for any prescribed style or touting fanfiction. Just sharing some thoughts on the subject.

2 cents.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Your 2 cents are lined with gold, thankyou for your kind and thoughtful words of wisdom, I was hoping to ask you for some more information at another time. Peace and be well, antar

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
One of the best ways, I've found, to learn the craft of 'telling stories' is to build on commonly known characters.

Writing is a skill, like any skill, the more you practice it the better you become. It is not a mystery or task or burden. The more you write the better you become at it.

Sit down and write a novel, about anything, it doesn't matter. You will be better at the end than you were at the beginning. When you re-read it you won't believe how terrible the beginning was.

There is no good writing, there is only good re-writing.

The idea is to get the thoughts onto paper, Or in a file, and work the story out. Let your imagination put it all out there to have something to work with. Then go back and clean it up and make it into something that others can relate to.

Run with your Muses, Leave the editing to the editors.

Just my thoughts,

[edit on 16-9-2007 by mrwupy]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
OK, guys, let's be cautious we aren't getting derailed by being argumentative or getting into debates about what writing is.

Can we post topic ideas? Leave the debating and repartee to the main forums?

If you don't like my off the cuff suggestions, post your own. How else are we going to form teams? (I'm up for suggestions)

Got one U2U and I think Antar and I might pair up for something.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

[edit on 16-9-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Badge01 you need to contact masqua by u2u to lock in your acceptance of the writing challenge. I am honored and thrilled to join forces with you as will our 3rd partner DgTempe. Let me know what story you decide upon and we will help take the ball and run with it! I have already u2ued you with a story idea but am not locked into anything and open to everything.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

OK, I got one U2U from you but don't believe I got any story ideas.

I just sent you chapter one of a story I'm working on; I'm thinking maybe it will be of interest.

(Not sure what you mean by U2U of Masqua)

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I have not heard from Dgtempe all week masqua have you? I have been sending her u2u's with updates on our story, as you know I have been collaborating with Badge01, it has been quite the learning experience. He has been such an ideal partner. And the story...

top topics

join