It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long until there are thought crimes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Harsh criticism of a General means people should be thrown out of the country?

I've seen this type of thinking slowly building up. It started with: "You're either with us, or against us" Bush 11/2001. Such absolutist thinking leaves no room for dissent or debate, when contrary opinions are voiced, they are silenced - or maybe, thrown out of the country.

The mere suggestion of throwing them out of the country should result in McCain's resignation. If the man does not understand the First Ammendment, he should not be President or even a Senator.

“Senator McCain, like most Americans, is appalled by the MoveOn.org ad. Last night he expressed his outrage in words that did not convey his intended meaning. What he meant to say was that MoveOn's smear of General Petraeus' character should have no place in the American political debate.” Source

Catch phrases like "this is a different kind of war" (Bush, Rice) slowly breaks down societal paradigms that keep our government in check. It gets people to think that "I'll be a lot more safe if I just give up a few little freedoms". So the logic goes: people who disagree with my thinking hate this country (you can watch Bill O'Reilly for evidence of this).

The liberals "mental disorder" shows up by their continual undermining of the War on terrorism (I'm not talking about Iraq). They know what they are doing, but can't help themselves - they were brought up that way, from the Vietnam war. This is a different kind of war. Source

The saying was also used in "The Path to 9/11".

We are not there yet... but the ground work is being set down. The current division in the country can only help fuel this process, so long as one side believes that the other hates this country. So how long do we have before voiced dissent is met with force?

Edit: Perhaps I should clarify... How long until the goverment is allowed to thumb through your diary in the name of national security? How long until they can arrest you for speaking out against the government? How long until there are people in jail for what they think about the government?

[edit on 16-9-2007 by Angry Danish]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
There already are thought crimes if the authorities think you committed a crime on someone because they are a difference race, sexual orientation or religion.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Thought crimes have been around for thousands of years.

Here's one of the most famous of them all (and one of the very oldest recorded ones):

You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.

Exodus 20:17

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

There are plenty of people being punished for their beliefs. But the punishment is only jail time if planted evidence gets involved, most punishment is economic.

If you talk about a 9/11 CT you will be fired.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
"Thought crimes"... man it's to the point now that just the act of thinking in itself is nearly a crime, that's why very few people are even willing to voice their real feelings outloud.

People are constantly emotionally crucified for what they think and yes, they're legally held accountable as well. Criminal trials are as much about intent, state of mind, and remorse or lack thereof than they are about the crime itself.

Think about all the people who dislike you, I guarantee it's due to their judgments of your viewpoints and opinions rather than some dastardly deed you were ever guilty of.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Senate condemns 'General Betray Us' ad

A formal condemnation from the Senate.

Baby steps towards removal of the first amendment. Baby steps toward linking extremist left groups to terrorism. Paradigm shifts don't occur overnight, the gradual change of things over time is what you have to look for...

I don't agree with the ad from MoveOn, but they have the right to say anything they want about General Petraeus.

"And that leads me to come to this conclusion: that most Democrats are afraid of irritating a left-wing group like MoveOn.org, or more afraid of irritating them, then they are of irritating the United States military," Bush said Thursday.

You're either with us, or against us

The liberals at MoveOn are obviously against us.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Let me think about that for awhile. If the police show up I will have my answer.

The dream police, they live inside of my head.
The dream police, they come to me in my bed.
The dream police, they're coming to arrest me, oh no.

'Cause they're waiting for me.
They're looking for me.
Ev'ry single night they're driving me insane.
Those men inside my brain.

The dream police, they live inside of my head.
The dream police, they come to me in my bed.
The dream police, they're coming to arrest me.

Cheap Trick's song of insanity, mind control, or spiritual attack.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Why is it that any particular "crime" should be regarded as a "thought" crime?

In an utterly basic and simple sense, any crime is a thought crime, as one usually has something to gain out of committing the crime - so the "thought" could be said to be that of selfish motivation.

It is possible for one to commit a crime out of good intentions, of course - such as the procurement of funds in order to help those in dire need of help.

We all know that no legal-minded businessman (or woman) is going to sell his business and supply all the money to ridding the world of malaria or famine, for example.

It is possible for one to do more good than one could ever dream of by simply ignoring the law with the precise intention of sacrificing your 'good name' for the benefit of others.

Obviously this kind of mentality would be frowned upon during one's upbringing.

Is it possible for one to commit "thought" crime on one with the implicit intention of effecting their "thoughts"?

If so, i believe that every well-meaning parent or teacher is guilty of "thought" crime - those possessed of the single-view mentality of "survival of the fittest" would probably be good candidates for this proceeding - especially if they're preparing the younger generation for further "survival of the fittest", as it were.

Why is it drilled into every living person on this planet that the only reason to live is to become great*?

A person can do far more good by simply ignoring such materialistic virtues when viewing solutions in an abstract mindset - i.e; unclouded by personal judgement.

*whether the individual whom this is taught to believes in it is entirely down to that individual's mental maturity and capability to withstand offenses on the psyche.

if the individual is mentally weak-minded or naive, then he or she will simply go along with this mentality as if it were indeed the only path forward.

[edit on 21-9-2007 by Throbber]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
As we speak there are researchers in secret government labs working
on finding the harddrive in your mind so that even your past thoughts can be accessed and the determination made if you are fit to be among normal people.

Dream Police indeed!

And the facilities are being prepared to keep you malcontents away from us "normal thinking" people.

And none to soon I might add as you conspirators are polluting the "right thinking ones" that have made this country what it is.

Just slightly sarcastic here.

Actually the camps are being prepared, the guards trained and graves dug.

[edit on 21-9-2007 by whaaa]

new topics

top topics

join