It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Suggestion, Just a thought.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I hope this is in the right section.

I understand and all how some of you people like your posts to be very personalized and all, but what if we made avatars smaller and the overall board a bit more compact and easier on the eyes? Im sure lots of you are going to complain now because you like your personalized posts. But its just kind of pathetic to see something about 400 pixels high for just a 1 line post. Most other forums out there would only take up about 100-200 pixels in height for something like hat. I think the forums could look a tiny bit more professional too, like with some sort of look to them, other than the flat boxy type. I doubt it would waste any bandwidth at all considering I hear you have bandwidth problems.

But since you have such a high volume of traffic and posts it would be pretty nice to have it looking as good as it can. Right now it kind of looks like those websites with the old ubb frums back in the day. Also I do design in photoshop, and if you want to see maybe a few concepts of how it could look I wouldnt mind putting some time into it if you need any help. Although I guess I may be a bit more pickier about this because I do graphics and web design and I guess I pay attention to those things more than a common person.

Also I understand you have lots of content, and I dont know how but it would be nice if navigation was a bit improved too.

Im not complaining and saying its bad or anything, I just think it could use just a tiny little bit of work, wouldnt hurt it at all.

P.S. I dont have any low resolution or small monitors so thats not my reason for posting this, although I think it would also help for the few that do.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
A lot of opinion for such a new member?
We've actually done a great deal of bandwidth optimization, most of it behind the scenes. Our "today" and "home" page uses about 60% less HTML than the "stock" version of this board software (XMB). Also, pretty much throughout, all graphic buttons have been removed in favor of a text-only system once you're viewing posts. Much of this was accomplished to allow our community members more room for expression in their avatars. We do have the highest avatar dimension limit for boards our size, but we also have an amazing number of members who visit and participate every day. The point is, there is always a balance. However, there is an option. Just go to the member center (top menu), and to your left, you'll see the ATS store. The most inexpensive option (50 points) is a toggle for low/high bandwidth. In low-bandwidth, you'll probably experience what you're looking for.
Now... how many boards have that? And for a bit of an alternate viewpoint, check this member blog: zeddicuszulzorander My profession is in website develoment also. The layout of the community (where I have control) is partially dictated by what people have grown accustomed to as a standard set of features and general layout. Website usability and heuristics is a combination of what GUI is correct, and what GUI people are accustomed to using. Our current layout (with some tweaking mentioned above) has been in-place for over 2 years, and we're growing at a phenomenal rate with it: www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... www.abovetopsecret.com... So... part of me says don't fix what ain't broke.
[Edited on 21-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hehe, you sure have some pretty damn strong points there
I guess you win

Nice avatar btw

Also I'm just curious how much bandwidth do you use? Is this on a dedicated server? I assume and hope it is.

Good job on reducing the html of the stock board so much, that must have been some fun coding

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
We're averaging over 100 gigabytes per month. This past Monday, a story on ATSNN appeared on SlashDot, and we served up just over 14 gigs in one day. And yes, we're on a dedicated Dual-Xeon (2GHz) server with 1gig of Ram, RedHat Linux.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Red Hat Linux KICKS ASS, actually you can get a cheap server at www.aplus.net that's who I use and they come with like 500-1500 gigs a month of transfer. They are not bad, one of the best hosting companies in the world actually.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
And for a bit of an alternate viewpoint, check this member blog:
zeddicuszulzorander
Indeed.

My profession is in website develoment also. The layout of the community (where I have control) is partially dictated by what people have grown accustomed to as a standard set of features and general layout. Website usability and heuristics is a combination of what GUI is correct, and what GUI people are accustomed to using. Our current layout (with some tweaking mentioned above) has been in-place for over 2 years, and we're growing at a phenomenal rate with it:
Definately worth keeping the way it is. I think it provides a certain freedom of expression that other sites don't offer.

So... part of me says don't fix what ain't broke.

And I know everything is in good hands so I don't tend to offer advice. I will just say that trying to be a productive member is fun road.

Oh yeah, and the company I work for sells data-center enterprise class servers, new or refurb from every manufacturer. u2u me in the future if need be. Nuff said!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Cool they do? Can you give me a site or something I can browse around and see what they have? I'm very interested, I'm usually just used to buying things from eBay, they sell lots of rakmount IT stuff there.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
So far I've been very happy with out provider, ev1servers.net. But the machines are 100% unmanaged... you get a vanilla RedHat install... and an IP.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
So far I've been very happy with out provider, ev1servers.net. But the machines are 100% unmanaged... you get a vanilla RedHat install... and an IP.

Ahhhh...yes, a service provider.

My reference is about buying the actual servers...so go with SkepticOverlord's suggestion.

ps) Wondering who was going to use the Doctor for an avatar. Cracks me up!

new topics

top topics

join