It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rally driver feared dead in crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Rally driver feared dead in crash

news.bbc.co.uk

Former world rally champion Colin McRae is believed to have been killed along with three others in a helicopter crash near his home in Lanarkshire.

The helicopter, which police believe was owned by Mr McRae, 39, came down on Saturday afternoon in Jerviswood, about a mile from Lanark, and caught fire.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
This struck my attention for some reason, especially due to comments like, "the damage to the Squirrel aircraft was so bad it was initially unclear how many people had died."

It sounds like something seriously messed up this helicopter and caused it to crash. Also there is the disappearance of Steve Fosset who was also flying.

Anyone know if there has been an upswing in strange airplane crashes recently?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Scalamander

Hi,
It's a shame I'm welcoming you on such a sad occasion as this.
I won't speculate as to the id of who was on board, it wouldn't be appropriate.

I think you can't make any link between air crashes like this.
Unfortunately, these things happen - be it mechanical/pilot error/adverse weather etc.

I'm sure you are aware of the Hurricane that fatally crashed yesterday at Shoreham Air Show.

I think the general public and especially the media when reporting these events convey a deep sense of shock and destruction.
It's because there are very few who are actually pilots and of course there aren't many aircraft compared to cars, which most of us drive without thinking what might happen.

Only the other day news.RGJ.com... was reporting on the fatalities at the Reno Air Races.
The pilots know the risks just like racing drivers.

What always saddens me more is when one of these guys is killed while not racing, be it Steve Fossett ( still hoping) while not setting a record, or Colin while not rallying.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
wow - this is really bizarre....

colin mcrae's ex boss, dave richards, has survived a helicopter crash just 24 hours after mcrae was killed in his! he and his wife were returning from the belgian grand prix when the helicopter crashed near stanstead. his wife also survived the crash.

Mr Richards, chief executive of Rally company Prodrive, which owns the Subaru World Rally Team, is the man who was behind McRae when he won the World Rally Championship in 1995.

i thought when i first heard the story that they had been in the same helicopter but then noticed the headlines was talking about two separate crashes that happened. now what are the chances of that happening?

story here

top topics

join