It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap music- the anti virtue music of today?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I cant stand (hard) core rap today. Its uninnocent, arrogant and hardcore, which is the opposite of loving.

Now I have some comparisons ive noticed.

Rap has these keys.

1. Harcore - innocence

2. Prideful/arrogance - Humility

3. Nagetive - positive

4. Lustful - Chaste

5. Violence - peacful

If anybody else can think of anything else add it. Its the complete opposite of virtue imo.

You got.

Harcore, lustful, arrogant, negative, prideful, lustful.

vs

Innocent, chaste, humble, positive, peacful

What do you think demons posses, and angles? the top or bottom?

peace.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

When hip hop was born, it's driving force was one of community, fellowship, celebration, positive change, and meaningful movement. Now, for the most part it's album sales, how many rocks you slang, how much you self-indulge, and how skilled you are at spreading malice.

A genre is not evil, men are. I love hip hop, the rythm, the beats, the lyrical prowess. I don't listen to trap hop (money anthems, cars, drug dealing).

real hip hop is...

KRSONE

Rakim

Jeru the Damaja

Mr. Lif

etc.

[edit on 15-9-2007 by depth om]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   

rap is actually quite good....

actually, there are probably some black metal bands that are far worse.

the lead singer of a band gave a guy a shotgun shell to kill himself...
he did.
he took a photo of it to use as an album cover
one of the other guys in the band took some of his brain matter and made a stew out of it..
then the lead of the band killed the stew guy because he thought he was getting an unfair, lower reputation for evil...

anyway, um...
rap, that's what we were talking about.
rap is a genre, within any genre you'll find music that supports bad things.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

I cant stand (hard) core rap today. Its uninnocent, arrogant and hardcore, which is the opposite of loving.

I can't stand rap today either - but not because it lacks "loving" but because it's just not that good anymore. Exactly as the other poster said - it used to be a social movement of sorts, but after it was assimilated into corporate america, that's when the decline started.

You should focus more on the music industry lacking love, as opposed to "hard core rap" artists. Also, it would help to mention which artists in particular you are referring to.

I am confident that for every rap artist you mention, I could mention artists from each other genre.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

rap is actually quite good....

actually, there are probably some black metal bands that are far worse.

the lead singer of a band gave a guy a shotgun shell to kill himself...
he did.
he took a photo of it to use as an album cover
one of the other guys in the band took some of his brain matter and made a stew out of it..
then the lead of the band killed the stew guy because he thought he was getting an unfair, lower reputation for evil...

anyway, um...
rap, that's what we were talking about.
rap is a genre, within any genre you'll find music that supports bad things.

Lmao you're talking about Mayhem, aren't you? Gotta love, Mayhem.

But um.. yeah. I think a prime example of what you're talking about, JesusIsTruth, would probably be DMX. His lyrics are all that you described, but he's still a Christian and all that. I don't know how to explain it. *shrug*

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Everyone knows polka is the music of the devil.

[edit on 16-9-2007 by Lysergic]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Satan plays Weird Al's polka medleys non-stop in hell... Repent!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
i cant stand 99% of todays rap music... if thats what you wish to call it... i'm more of and oldschool rap fan... and today,these rapers talk/rap about nothing...all the same ole' same... we need a fresh new sound for hip-hop.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
yea, like MIMs said it's not fair to pinpoint the bad elements of one genre of music.

and another thing is a lot of people act like violence in rap and the subject matter of drugs, women and things like cars and jewelery are new to the rap game.. they're not. rappers have been talking about drugs, money and violence since the early 90's and that's considered, by many, hip-hop's golden era

johnny cash talks about killing people but i never hear his name come up in the list of whose to blame for the decline of the western civilization

[edit on 16-9-2007 by The Phantom]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Paresthesia

yep, seems like i'm not the only metalhead here.

and honestly, DMX is just plain fun.
music isn't about virtue... it's about artistic expression and, above all else, FUN.

JiT, stop taking everything so damn seriously
you're acting awfully dignified for someone who was once pushed out of a woman's vagina.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

hahaha, i nearly pissed myself hahaha! Going to have to use that on my gf hahaha

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

thank you, though i must credit the webcomic "xkcd" for it. i just like using it when people get a bit uptight about something

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Madness I don't take everything seriously.

I grew up listening to Easy E with my brother because it was cool back then.

Their lyrics are evil, and they promote evil. Its not fun. Its evil.

Fun is enjoying time with family or having innocent fun.

This music destroys souls and turns angels into demons.

I have seen it with my brother. You think I grew up Christian? I did not.

He was innocent. But what happened to him is he took this persona of hardcoreness too far, and now it caused him to be a player.

He speaks with slang always, and has 5 different kids by 4 different women.

And he still has about 30 some numbers of weoen around.

Anybody knows what im talking about, but you have to have understanding first of all, know how to seperate (fun) from (evil), and know what virtue is.

You go downtown, and walk into a gang. They will eat you alive, literally. Most of them love this music.

Now I dont talk about regular more innocent rap.

Im talking only about the rap against virtue, which is gangster rap.

Its evil. Regular rap is ok, but I still dont believe angels in heaven listen to rap. they are innocent. The music in heaven we cant even imagine.

" Your moms vagina "

Its how Jesus made it. man and women perfectly made for each other. Im glad im here and love life and God.

God Bless you.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Madness I don't take everything seriously.

I grew up listening to Easy E with my brother because it was cool back then.

Their lyrics are evil, and they promote evil. Its not fun. Its evil.

Fun is enjoying time with family or having innocent fun.

thats not true man.. i listen to "gangsta rap" and it has in now way affected how i act or think.. and it is fun. youre right being with the family is fun.. but theirs different types of fun. and yea, some rap is evil but we can sit here and talk about all the evil stuff in the world alllllll daaaaayyyyyy

I have seen it with my brother. You think I grew up Christian? I did not.

He was innocent. But what happened to him is he took this persona of hardcoreness too far, and now it caused him to be a player.

He speaks with slang always, and has 5 different kids by 4 different women.

you're seriously going to blame Hip-Hop for this? dude its music.. you're acting like it's some sort of drug.. IMO their were other issues involved, blaming music, any music, is silly

i dont agree with you man, but i respect your opinion. rap is just music.. theres just as much "evil" in most types of music.

agree to disagree, but you can't blame music for mishaps

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Anybody knows what im talking about, but you have to have understanding first of all, know how to seperate (fun) from (evil), and know what virtue is.

Its evil. Regular rap is ok, but I still dont believe angels in heaven listen to rap. they are innocent. The music in heaven we cant even imagine.

Its how Jesus made it. man and women perfectly made for each other. Im glad im here and love life and God.

So are you saying that any music that even borderline is non-virtuous constitutes evil?? What does that leave you with then? Classical music and christian rock/rap...? I

In my opinion, that is a very narrow minded view on such a diverse and varied genre of music. Sure every music has its pitfalls, but that doesnt automatically classify that genre as evil. Does that make country music evil and non-virtuous becasue of its "off color" content in some songs?

And what do you classify as "gangster rap" nowadays? I thought that term had gone out of style after Ice-T got married and Pac and Big got killed? That term was perpetuated by the media and now it has stuck. Where does hip-hop fall into this whole fun vs evil battle? Is only some hip-hop good, while the other half is the debil?

How did you get from the topic of rap being evil to saying that men and women are made for one another? That doesnt even fit into the topic. Did I miss something?

And why are you bringing my mothers vagina into this conversation?

I am also glad im here and love life and God, but once you start saying that non-virtuous music is the debil, then that just puts you in the same category as any other religious fanatic. If the vice and virtue police of the Islamic Sharia ever make it over to America you'll make a good addition.

Sorry, I love absolutely
love rap and hip-hop. I'm just human.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Rap itself is not bad. You can rap about anything. It is simply a style of music.

However, it is true most modern rap is very morally inept.

But I've heard rap that was very tasteful, unfortunately nowadays that is increasingly rare.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   

...no, it only does that when people take it too seriously.
does the devil went down to georgia encourage people to make wagers against the devil for instruments made out of impractical material of great value?
does the music of johnny cash destroy souls and turn angels into demons?

ok... listen, i'm not going to agree with any value judgment you make, especially since you're not one to follow reason over dogma

He speaks with slang always,

...slang is legit dialect.
i just used the word "legit" there, it's slang.

and has 5 different kids by 4 different women.

that doesn't make him evil, it just means he needs to learn how to use a condom properly.

nothing wrong with that.

You go downtown, and walk into a gang. They will eat you alive, literally. Most of them love this music.

...ok. stop.
i grew up is St. Louis, MO... currently considered the most dangerous city in america. i walked around downtown and regularly interacted with gang members. they were quite cordial because i treated them as fellow human beings with respect and didn't make any presumptions about them because of their affiliation to a particular organization.
one of them pushed me out of the way of a car (being driven by a drunk pastor, of all things), breaking his wrist to save my life.
you act as if people are either kind of good (you'd never admit to anyone being 100% good) or 100% evil.

that's just idiotic. things are in color, not in shades of black, white and gray

gangsta rap isn't against virtue, it details a particular aspect of current reality. reporting on what actually happens isn't against virtue...
this is how people express the hardships they lived in, they make music about it

" Your moms vagina "

nope, not how jesus made it. it's how evolution managed to bring about sexual reproduction
give credit where credit is due

i'm just saying, stop polarizing the world
it's not black and white, it never was and will never be

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
rap is, and always was, a reflection of society. blame society first, and the artistic expressions of it after.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Its ok to still have 30 different numbers around and stil be a player after hes supposed to be responsible to his children?

Your a pig. With no soul. you have no clue what life is about. Condoms are child prevention. He wouldnt wear one anyway.

" Rap talks about society "

Yea. thats an excuse to not be positive and loving. Im happy all day. Can I rap about that?

Of course they do this to keep their hardcore unsoft image, thats all.

they are souls of God, but the rap about evil things like money sex and drugs, like thats all in life. promoting garbage.

Christians you know how to tell what evil so discern for yourselves.

Im not blaming rap on my brothers condition. But I have lived with him for 20 some years, I know.

He has taking this persona to himself and it has influenced his life in a bad way. You will see what I mean after death.

One thing is right, that he would still be a pig even if rap didnt exist, but being a player rap has made ok or cool.

peace.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Gangsters you know are saints then.

Im talking about the ones (most of them) that kill people for initiation, they have no conscience or soul.

peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join