It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The movie Cube, what do you believe is the true meaning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I know this isn't the type you discuss here, but have any of you ever seen the movie Cube? It's my all time favorite movie and it has so many different ways a person can interpret it. Just let your imagination loose and fill in all the blanks. I just wanted to see if any of you ever had any ideas on "the big picture" of cube.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by NEODI
I know this isn't the type you discuss here, but have any of you ever seen the movie Cube? It's my all time favorite movie and it has so many different ways a person can interpret it. Just let your imagination loose and fill in all the blanks. I just wanted to see if any of you ever had any ideas on "the big picture" of cube.

Great movie!!

Personally I think one of the best "most interesting" message was from the young guy who was contracted to help build some of the cube. When he talks about there being "No Conspiracy, or All powerful Director" behind it all. That in reality the whole world is so compartmentalized by now everyone just does their little part never knowing what the end result is to be anyway. Sometimes things can just start as an Idea somewhere and without directed control the wheels can be put in motion and the result is made real. Or even the original Idea by the time it's finished has been reworked and reconfigured until it's something completely new without anyone knowing how or why or for what purpose, yet there it is.

It is just like Our Reality now. "We, as in the human race, are a product of our Society and Function Collectively & Individually by the Direction of the System. Yet, the System is nothing more than a Collaborative Consept which is Created and Sustained completely by Us & Our Belief in the System itself." In other words, "We are products of society." & "Society is/was Created by Us." So.....We create Society, and yet Society forms people into who they are. So do we create Society(The Cube) or does Society(The Cube) create us??

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
That's a very good way of putting it, thanks for sharing
I agree about the whole society, even though some people have more control than others, nobody still rules it all.

Also I like what that paranoid lady (Helen was her name?) says:

*Worth discloses his involvement and tells them what he knows*
Quinton: Look at him, he�s up to his eyeballs in this thing.
Helen: No Quinton, that�s how they stay in. You keep everyone separated so the left hand doesn�t now what the right hand is doing. The brain never comes out in the open.

That kind of applies to yours and Worth�s statement too, how nobody ever looks outside their own lives, and how it just all adds up. And it�s also true how these projects function, nobody ever knows too much.

I also love the music in Cube, very eerie, but I wish there was a real soundtrack to it, the most I could find was some 30 second sample by Mark Korven who did the soundrack.

Also as for my theory on it, I think it takes place outside of our world, it either represents our lives, or it is some kind of a test to get into heaven or something similar. Think about it, all of them had some kind of bad traits, the retard was the only truly innocent one in there. But I still wish worth and that girl made it out, some of those people were not bad at all, nobody is perfect.

That movie is amazing, I wonder if the people that made it truly knew how good and a deep of a movie they were making. Because every single time I watch it I always discover something new about it.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NEODI
Also as for my theory on it, I think it takes place outside of our world, it either represents our lives, or it is some kind of a test to get into heaven or something similar. Think about it, all of them had some kind of bad traits, the retard was the only truly innocent one in there. But I still wish worth and that girl made it out, some of those people were not bad at all, nobody is perfect.

That movie is amazing, I wonder if the people that made it truly knew how good and a deep of a movie they were making. Because every single time I watch it I always discover something new about it.

I'm sure they had a very good idea behind the philisophical meaning. If not then it was one hell of an accident!

Talking about the specific character traits. Each one was specified for a reason to better understand the point.

The childlike, innocent, simpleton, who knew nothing of normal logic and knowledge also held the "Genius" required to navigate the Cube without harm. If the cube represets the Man Made World of 3 Dimentional Connected Moments, some safe others not, he would be similar to the "Buddhist" idea of Enlightenment that is found in a child. Ironicly he also was unable to explain to anyone else the Cube/World from his perspective to "Normal" people.

The cop who was Forcing the direction in one way or another had all the strength to make others do what he wanted, yet he was completely lost without their knowledge. He also sacrificed or endangered the others for his own gain, under the illusion he was just trying to help the group.

The escape prisoner had important technical Know-How to navigate semi-safely using practical thinking. Yet lacked the Wisdom to Know where he was going or why. Eventually his luck/knowledge would be of no use.

The girl and young guy who became somewhat of a couple also became the strength and foundation they both needed to pull both of them through Life within the cube. As a team and helping each other and others they realized the function and process of the Cube. Together they also were able to eventually evade the Master/Slave situation being Forced upon them from the Cop. The simpleton also being not unlike thier child, who they put ahead of their own lives, even at the end.

Then there is the point behind "Primes" being the connected layout behind the Cubes interconnecting segments. The simpleton's Fear of "Red" Rooms. And most interesting was the rotation of the cube rooms, mainly he bridge. The bridge room illustrates why the Escape prisoner wouldn't have made it. He was clever, but had no direction, no goal, no reason for his movement other than to keep moving.

I'll stop here cause this is getting long!!! There are many other philisophical meanings to be found though.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I love this film. Especially that in the making they only used one set with different lighting to tell a great story. as for the question I see it as somones vision of pergutory.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Indeed it�s very cool how they made it with so little resources yet such a nice film. It�s not often a movie that good is made like that. I bet cube set the record too.

mOjOm: That was a very nice description of all of them. Some very good points you got there I didn�t realize. Great job on writing that I enjoyed reading it
Don�t worry about going on forever at least I wouldn�t mind

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Personally I think one of the best "most interesting" message was from the young guy who was contracted to help build some of the cube. When he talks about there being "No Conspiracy, or All powerful Director" behind it all.

I loved the movie too

I also agree with this statement, I think that a lot of those who believe in a small worldwide ruling elite think that way because it is more comforting to think the the alien reptiles are seceretly ruling the world than to admit that NOONE is at the wheel of the ride, that the world is just a blundering headless monster.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I love that movie!!!!

Ever seen the second one? It involves a 4 dimensional enviroment, multiple dimensions between compartments, time runing differently in different location, telleportation, etc... mOjOm, your avatar reminds me of the second cube's structure, cept its a cube instead of being round.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I didn't quite like the second one as much, it didn't have much flavor or common sence to it. Not as possible and realistic as the first and too much of the storie is given away. Also the rooms in Cube 1 had lots more surprises in them and looked more interesting. Cube 2 is still not a bad movie, but I don't think it's even half as good as Cube 1, also it was not made by the same people either.

top topics

join