It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tukey invading Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Ok, ATS'ers I want your opinions on what is going on between the Turks, the Kurds, and the Turkish army massing troops on the Northern border of Iraq.

One thing I recently found out is that Turkey gets a lot of oil from Iran. I was wondering if it was possible that the Turks are massing their army so send the U.S. the message that they don't want us to bomb Iran?

Let me know what your theories and opinions are.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
www.iranmania.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.ameinfo.com...

www.debka.com...

www.physicsforums.com...

www.cfr.org...

Here is what I dug up in the last 10min. on google. These are articles from a bunch of random sources. I think it is pretty alarming, and is further complicating our "quagmire" as Cheney so eloquently put it.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Turkey does not have a good relationship with any country in the middle east except for israel. Iran and syria have supported the rebels in eastern anatolia since it started. The iraqi goverment also isnt doing anything against kurds rebels smuggling weaponry over the border. This forces the turkish millitairy to move men there to try stop this.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The Kurds of northern Iraq are giving all kinds of support to the Kurds in Turkey. This is were the rub is. Turkey will not invade Iraq as long as the US has a presence in Iraq.

Turkey is a member of NATO but more importantly, they want to become a member of the European union. Invading Iraq will earn support from France but Germany and Great Britain would have something to say and this would have serious negative consequences.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Im not really sure why, but the kurds and the turks seem to be mortal enemies. I remember back when we (USA) started suggesting ways to get out of Iraq, one of the suggestions was to break up Iraq and give each group their own nation. Turkey immediately said they would invade the Kurds if they were given their own nation. Turkey has, since the beginning of the invasion, talked about going into N.Iraq.

I belive this link talks about turkey going into a independant Kurdish nation in N. Iraq.
www.economist.com...

Here are some links that I have found that talk about the problem.
www.flashpoints.info...
www.jamestown.org...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

My A.D.D. is in overdrive right now, I cant really go through all the articles I came up with, so I hope these help people to understand the turk-kurd situation/problem.

[edit on 15/9/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
When We finally leave Iraq,North Iraq will become a permanent part of Turkey(I wonder if they're thinking about a New Ottoman Empire?).

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Would Iran help Turkey invade N, Iraq? Would we then have to go to war with both Turkey and Iran? Turkey's military is no joke.

en.wikipedia.org...

They have f-16's

They have kc-135's

Maybe even f-35a's

They have a very mobile 100,000 man army.

They have like 12 attack subs, and lots of ships.

From what I understand Iran and Turkey get along pretty well. WWIII?

Are people just picking sides now?

new topics

top topics

join