It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We're getting punished for thinking.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this topic. But I just thought of something. You know how you're sitting at a stop light, and no traffic is coming, but you can't go because there is a red light? The government is thinking for you. They don't want you to think for yourself. So if for that second you thought for yourself, and realized you could go without getting in a car accident. You would get a ticket. You would be punished for thinking for yourself.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Where I live, people don't seem to stop for red lights even during rush hour. I've seen people go straight through red lights with a cop car right there. The cops don't even pull them over. I hope they all crash and burn for "thinking for themselves".

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I don't think that getting a ticket for running a red light classifies as punishment for free-thought. I think that getting a ticket for running a red light is a common sense thing. We could revert to having 4 way stops everywhere, but no one knows how a 4 way top even works. How about roundabouts? Most Amerikans don't even know what those are, let alone how they work. A traffic light, if followed as it should be, could cut down on accidents due to driver stupidity.

Punishment for free-thought would be having the NSA or Dept. of Homeland Security busting down your door for disagreeing with the President.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
yeah trafic lights are good for keeping people alive... but i agree maybe late at night when its quiet they should just act like stop signs

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I agree half way, in a way it is important for busy times. But in a way it�s not, because like he said the gov doesn�t trust you with your thinking. But who would? There are so many old people driving and young kids with lead feet, and drunk people, I would not trust any of their �free thinking�.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NEODI
I agree half way, in a way it is important for busy times. But in a way it�s not, because like he said the gov doesn�t trust you with your thinking. But who would? There are so many old people driving and young kids with lead feet, and drunk people, I would not trust any of their �free thinking�.

That's kind of the message I was getting at, a lot of people have no #ing idea what they are doing behind the wheel of a car.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero
a lot of people have no #ing idea what they are doing behind the wheel of a car.

That is very true. I'm amazed at the utter gob#es allowed to drive in Oregon. In the UK, when you reach 70 years old you have to take another test. I saw some old woman yesterday getting her driving licence photocopied and she couldn't even open her fooking purse !!!! ... it took an inordinate amount of time for her to count out the six cents to pay for the photocopy and then she staggered out of the shop ... how in foox name does she have the necessary reactions to drive ???

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
"Here in New York red lights mean stop if you want to"

The great Denis Leary

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Did someone get a ticket today???

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I got my license a month or so back, and I'm at high risk of getting a ticket. I've got an Audi A6 and fly over the speed limit a lot. So far so good. I've thought about going through a red light with no on coming traffic, but it's too risky. There are cameras that will record your license plate nowadays.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
i wouldnt really say traffic lights are a bad thing, its just a way to control traffic. people dont realize cars are not toys. i just lost one of my friends because the guy who she met the day before decided to run a red light, had to swerve and hit a pole. the car was like a horse shoe around the pole. and it did happen at night so as far as traffic lights as stop signs
. who stops for those? i must say i dont agree with most laws, except traffic laws. its not that you get a ticket for thinking for yourself, you get it because your actions might cause the death of another. however those damn meter maids, they can go to hell. i had 2 lovely tickets on my window the day before christmas. and then the meter maid actually had the nerve to tell me to have a good christmas, new york city is not the place to own a car

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
A four way stop could replace most stop lights but people lack discipline and intelligence to respect the added freedom given them.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CindyPants
I wasn't sure where to put this topic. But I just thought of something. You know how you're sitting at a stop light, and no traffic is coming, but you can't go because there is a red light? The government is thinking for you. They don't want you to think for yourself. So if for that second you thought for yourself, and realized you could go without getting in a car accident. You would get a ticket. You would be punished for thinking for yourself.

Oh flying Christ... do you know why this is? Because the lights are set on timers, for crying out loud. Timers, not some big-ass conspiracy. Some are set for sensors, and when the cars trigger them, the lights change; others are set on timers, because the city is too ignorant to realize which way keeps the flow of traffic halfway sane.

Give me a break.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
you know what slowly, humans get more and more controlled by government! in couple of centuries there will be total control! where life really doesn't matter! no emotions, just purpose, there will be special breeding places, where only the strongest and smartest will be bred, you may laugh but it will happen!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Erm... I don't want to appear to be a skeptic or anything, but wern't stoplights initially intended to make us safe? And to direct traffic in a safe manner?
This may seem a bit narrow minded, but I don't think that Bush contains either the intellect or the time to putanything that major into affect. Heck, he can barely pronunciate words correctially. I would be more worried about places that don't elect their officials.
Pesoanlly, I think that what it comes down to is that people do have to think for themselves, but also for others.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CindyPants
The government doesn't think for you, you think for yourself.

The law does not say, "if you Think of crossing a red light, you will get punished." The law says, "if you DECIDE and FOLLOW THROUGH with this act, then we will punish you."

Not necessarily becase you think for yourself, but because you didn't follow the book.

The day the government starts thinking for you is the day I don't want to see. We all have freewill to do at the moment.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL

The law does not say, "if you Think of crossing a red light, you will get punished." The law says, "if you DECIDE and FOLLOW THROUGH with this act, then we will punish you."

Exactly. We're not talking thought crime here. I have a proposition for everyone. If you think that traffic laws are a form of wrongful government control, disobey every traffic law you disagree with as often as you possibly can and see if you live to tell the tale.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
One time, I ran a railroad crossing weaving between the barriers as a train was approaching. I thought I was so COOL.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
What. The. Hell. ?

Anyway, props to LOBO and the others who realized that not being allowed to run red lights isn't government control, it isn't the 6th level of hell, it is common sense, and safety.

I don't think anyone would want me to make 2 story outhouses, but that isn't anti-thought or anti-action, its anti-people get crap on their heads, just like following the lights is anti-smash your car into the dumptruck that just flew around the corner. It's anti-smash your car into that schoolbus, and live to tell about how your dumb time-saving ideas killed 12 children.

Maybe you should be questioning how the government makes you want to go everywhere so god damned fast. Did you know that Canada, the US, and Britain are some of the most fast-paced countries on earth? You go out into some town in europe, and you'll find a lot more people taking it easy, go out into central or southern america, you'll hear the saying 'Rest Today, Work Tomorrow.' You can't make it to the 15 stores you need to materialize your life in in the 30 minutes between Survivor and Football? Think about how that is government control.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by worshipthemoon
Where I live, people don't seem to stop for red lights even during rush hour. I've seen people go straight through red lights with a cop car right there. The cops don't even pull them over. I hope they all crash and burn for "thinking for themselves".

Where are you living ? Italy ? France ? Guatemala ?

<<   2 >>

join