It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI wants bank ban on hats, sunglasses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
FBI wants bank ban on hats, sunglasses

You may not even think about wearing sunglasses and a hat when entering a bank, but the FBI sure is. One local agent wants to make it a new law in Washington state banning that attire.

Hats and sunglasses are becoming one of the most common disguises for bank robbers. Many banks, like Washington Mutual, already ask customers to take them off before walking in. Asking doesn't seem to be working, so instead of bank policy the FBI says there should be a law.

Seems a bit over the top to me.
Maybe they should just ban all clothing while they are at it?
DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Many Banks and post offices in the UK wont let you wear a motorcycle crash helmet now.

Do they do that in the US too?

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Most banks I've been in over the last several years have signs that state you must remove sunglasses while in the bank. I can understand the issue and don't have a problem with it.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Only criminals would have hats and sunglasses, then. This is just another way for the government to deny a personal liberty.

Does the FBI realize that drive-up windows get held up also. Does this extend to driving?

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I dont see the big deal. Its a bank. Its where my money is. I can totally see the rationale. Its not like they are banning sunglasses and hats everywhere LOL-just in banks.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

When is the last time you read about someone trying to hold up a drrive up window?

I can visualize the teller behind the bullet proof glass window sticking their
out at the robber while pushing the bank alarm

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
WOuld the ban apply to ATM withdrawls next?

What about transactions at Gas Pumps?

Or Convenience Stores?

Or Toll Booths?

Or at Sporting Events?

The list can go on and on...

ARe that many banks getting robbed, or is the FBI realizing that their facial recognition software doesn't work as fast as TV if the perp is disguised...

Thats why I said it in the OP...
Let us all go naked then, and we have no where to hide a weapon, and nothing to hide anyway.
DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Any place where identity is crucial, any type of disguise should be illegal. A Bank would be such a place IMO. Another place would be say the passport office when you go to get your photo taken. Voting. Etc. Every place where positive identification is necessary pretty much.

Sporting events should not have any type of dress code(except for those that deal with decency lol no one wants to see a 300+ lbs man dance nekkid in the stands, regardless of how "creative" his body paint is). Recreational events are meant to be *gasp* recreational. There would be a huge outcry if this were to go down. Just imagine all the fat, lazy Homers out there not being able to paint their beer bellies in their team colors while wearing some crazy mask or what not. It would be CHAOS!

[edit on 15-9-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I often wear my sunglasses and a hat into my bank. They know me regardless.

If this would decrease bank robberies, it is an easy enough law to comply with and represents no inconvenience whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
This ban is in effect in most banks already.

Business as usual?

I hate this increasingly ubiquitous surveillance, but like all travesties, it's well-intentioned.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sardion2000

I don't know, that 300 lb man could really be a skinny suicide bomber wearing plastic explosives in the shape of bodyfat to a Man U game or the Superbowl... I think that no one should be allowed to wear any clothing until these terrorists are caught and brought to justice. Islam is a modest religion, so I bet you could even catch terrorists by just arresting everyone wearing clothing.

Or what about those eyeglasses that change to tinted glasses when you go outside. Anyone who wears those glasses should be held, and questioned at least until the glasses go clear indoors...

Or anyone who refuses to remove their hat should probably be shot on the spot, no matter where they are, because they have to be hiding something from all the security cameras as they walk on public sidewalks.

DocMoreau
(I am being sarcsastic, but truthful. All of those should be concerns. What really scares me is a 450 lb man loudly speaking arabic, while wearing a hooded sweatshirt over the top of his motorcycle helmet while wearing those mountaineering sunglasses that block the light on the sides of the lens with little leather flaps. Now that is scary!)

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This law seems logical to me, surprised they didn't do it sooner.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinkyThis is just another way for the government to deny a personal liberty

I think thats really pushing it. There is no problem with a bank asking customers to take off their sunglasses and caps.

Think more people would rob banks if they couldn't cover their face? I don't. I think this would lower the amount of robberies.

What liberties are being taken away?

People look stupid wearing sunglasses indoors anyway...

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Hey why not the xray machines to be use everywhere people goes.

The way things are now a days we should have check points every mile or so.

You never know when a terrorist or potential robber could be among us.

Better yet lets get an implant on everybody's forehead that will make the job for big brother easier.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Removing a hat and sunglasses when entering a bank is entirely understandable. I don't really think that this needs to be made law however, given the level of bank robberies throughout the U.S., I can understand some of the reasoning behind this issue. Personally, I have no problem with it even though I am one of those hat and sunglass wearing individuals that would be most targeted.

This thread did cause me to consider whether Islamic women, those who wear the burkha, might not pose a problem or raise some concerns. Given that Islamic women wear the burkha for religious reasons, wouldn't a law prohibiting a person from obscuring their face when entering a bank be a violation of their religious freedoms?

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
In Canada it is...... for voting at least...... in a Quebec By-Election......

jurist.law.pitt.edu...

What really scares me is a 450 lb man loudly speaking arabic, while wearing a hooded sweatshirt over the top of his motorcycle helmet while wearing those mountaineering sunglasses that block the light on the sides of the lens with little leather flaps. Now that is scary!

Any ethnicity speaking loudly in any language fitting that profile would be scary

[edit on 15-9-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Comman sense should be the factor here.

However in a world that is full of crime at every level of our society. It forces us into giving up small rights. Which over time many small things become a BIG problem.

So this is a catch 22 unless you look at with comman sense. And that barks the question what is comman sense? To me, its up to the person to decide what is comman sense for him/her.

To me, I dont mind not hiding who I am when I walk into a bank.. I dont plan on doing anything wrong.. Besides, they are getting my money here.
And I want to feel safe putting my money somewhere, that is "safe".

What is "safe"? That to is up to the person. Everyone feels differently about this world. But there is comman sense to that factor.

another side:
Peoples rights have been taken away so far, that we are taught to let the bad guys win all the time.. No one wants a hero, becasue you know what, heros die here, and its not worth you're life, to stop a would be robber.
Let the FBI & Cops handle all your problems.. We need more rights back to defend ourselfs from the "bad guys". But they take those rights away, becasue of other bad guys.. People like me dont break the law, so why am I being punished too?? Retorichal question there, just refer back to comman sense factor..

[edit on 16-9-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

How about toupees?

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Honestly, if someone intends to rob a bank, maybe its only me but I'm thinking, no hat.. no sunglasses.... who cares. It won't stop them or slow them down even. Wow it took some brillance to come up with this new idea, I'll tell ya!

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I would be afraid to walk into a bank with a hat and sunglasses on. Once I was in a really crowded bank during Halloween and there were some strange people in costume in there and I never took my eyes off of them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join