It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals, media, and gays need to know how this country was founded!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
DID YOU KNOW? As you walk up the steps to the building which houses the U.S Supreme Court you can see near the top of the building a row of the world's law givers and each one is facing one in the middle who is facing forward with a full frontal view .. it is Moses and he is holding the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?

As you enter the Supreme Court courtroom, the two huge oak doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on each lower portion of each door.

DID YOU KNOW?

As you sit inside the courtroom, you can see the wall,
right above where the Supreme Court judges sit,
a display of the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?

There are Bible verses etched in stone all over the Federal Buildings and Monuments in Washington , D.C.

DID YOU KNOW?

James Madison, the fourth president, known as "The Father of Our Constitution" made the following statement:

"We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

DID YOU KNOW?

Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said:

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

DID YOU KNOW?

Every session of Congress begins with a prayer by a paid preacher, whose salary has been paid by the taxpayer since 1777.

DID YOU KNOW?

Fifty-two of the 55 founders of the Constitution were members of the established orthodox churches in the colonies.

DID YOU KNOW?

Thomas Jefferson worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law an oligarchy .

the rule of few over many.

DID YOU KNOW?

The very first Supreme Court Justice, John Jay, said:

"Americans should select and prefer Christians as their rulers."

How, then, have we gotten to the point that everything we have done for 220 years in this country is now suddenly wrong and unconstitutional?

Lets put it around the world and let the world see and remember what this great country was built on.

[edit on 9/14/2007 by redseal]

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The nation was not founded on Christianity. In fact, in the Treaty of Tripoli, written ten years after the constitution, it specifically states that we are NOT founded on Christianity.

hence the bit about freedom of religion in the constitution. It doesn't say anything in the Declaration of Independence, nor the Constitution about it being a Christian nation.

Wishful thinking and capital letters do not a Christian nation make. There are a lot of us who live here who are NOT Christians and this country belongs to us as much as to you.

The conspiracy here is how the Christian right have hijacked our democracy and turned it to their own purposes.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
just a few reminders, I have posted these things before on ATS.

-George Washington~Deist "He refused to kneel in Church and take communion" Him kneeling at Valley Forge is a fictitious rendering by the artist.

-John Adams~ Unitarian "The government of the United States is not in any sense founded upon the Christian Religion"

~Benjamin Franklin~Vistied the infamous Hellfire Club frequently [during his time in England] (dedicated to "black magic", and political conspiracies) "he did not believe in the immortality of the soul and believe evil to be 'permissible' because presumably if God created everything he created evil as well" A Letter to Ezra Stiles president of Yale that he "doubted the divinity of Christ, but believes in his moral teachings"

~Thomas Paine~Deist author of "The Age of Reason", "The age of ignorance commenced with the Christian system"

~Thomas Jefferson~ Speaking on "this loathsome combination between Church and State" he said, "Question with boldness even the existence of god, for if there be one he must more approve the homage of reason over that of blind fear". In 1802 he made the first amendment to build a wall of separation between Church and State. "I do not find in Orthodox Christianity not one redeeming feature". Also..."The Christian god is cruel, vindictive, capricious, and unjust"...Also "Religions are all alike-founded upon fables and mythologies."

~James Madison~"What has been Christianity's fruits?-Superstition, bigotry, and persecution."

The Founding Fathers did NOT put "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, nor did they put "In God We Trust" on US currency.

*"Under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance by an Act of Congress in 1954 during the McCarthy hysteria.

*"In God We Trust" was added to US currency [coins] in 1864 and became the official motto of the US only in 1956

-The motto conceived by the founding fathers was "Out of many, One"

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

We could go into all the pagan statues around Washington DC but right now I don't have time to post.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
DID YOU KNOW

That this can be found on other websites such as this one:

Source

DID YOU KNOW

That not acrediting a source for its material is plagerism?

After that I have only one point. Maybe things change as we develope.

DID YOU KNOW

That George Washington owned slaves?

George Washington was born into a world in which slavery was accepted. He became a slave owner when his father died in 1743. At the age of eleven, he inherited ten slaves and 500 acres of land.

www.mountvernon.org...

By your reasoning we should still employ slaves today.

As I said, things grow and change.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
BTW, I find it a little offensive to be targeting liberals and gays. The media? I have no problem with that. It should get what it deserves.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I didn't want to be the one to point out that the very title of this thread seems designed to garner a reaction with the suggestion of hate speech.

it appears to be implying that liberals, gays, and the media are not American.

I'm an atheist. Where does that leave me? Oh, yes, in a true Christian America, burned at the stake no doubt.

Good thing it's still a secular nation. For now.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

George Washington~Deist "He refused to kneel in Church and take communion" Him kneeling at Valley Forge is a fictitious rendering by the artist.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Wasn't George Washington known as the "Praying General"?

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
reply to post by LDragonFire

George Washington~Deist "He refused to kneel in Church and take communion" Him kneeling at Valley Forge is a fictitious rendering by the artist.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Wasn't George Washington known as the "Praying General"?

Christian preachers who ardently wanted Washington to be portrayed as one of them have made up many stories of George Washington's strong Christian beliefs. One of the primary purveyors of these propaganda pieces was Mason Locke Weems, a Christian preacher who came up with the fable of George Washington and the cherry tree. He also feverishly promoted the myth of George Washington and Christianity.

Funny that one of the 10 commandments is thou shalt not lie but practicing what ones preach is difficult if it doesn’t conform to ones propaganda

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Here are some George Washington quotes. I think the praying general thing is propaganda, personally. Imagine that, propaganda in America.

"If I could conceive that the general government might ever be so administered as to render the liberty of conscience insecure, I beg you will be persuaded, that no one would be more zealous than myself to establish effectual barriers against the horrors of spiritual tyranny, and every species of religious persecution."

-- George Washington, letter to the United Baptist Chamber of Virginia, May 1789, in Anson Phelps Stokes, Church and State in the United States, Vol 1. p. 495, quoted from Albert J Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom

"We have abundant reason to rejoice that in this Land the light of truth and reason has triumphed over the power of bigotry and superstition ... In this enlightened Age and in this Land of equal liberty it is our boast, that a man's religious tenets will not forfeit the protection of the Laws, nor deprive him of the right of attaining and holding the highest Offices that are known in the United States."

-- George Washington, letter to the members of the New Church in Baltimore, January 27, 1793, in Anson Phelps Stokes, Church and State in the United States, Vol 1. p. 497, quoted from Albert J Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom

Here's one from Jefferson about Washington:

"Dr. Rush told me (he had it from Asa Green) that when the clergy addressed General Washington, on his departure from the government, it was observed in their consultation that he had never, on any occasion, said a word to the public which showed a belief in the Christian religion, and they thought they should so pen their address as to force him at length to disclose publicly whether he was a Christian or not. However, he observed, the old fox was too cunning for them. He answered every article of their address particularly, except that, which he passed over without notice."

-- Thomas Jefferson, quoted from Jefferson's Works, Vol. iv., p. 572. (Asa Green "was probably the Reverend Ashbel Green, who was chaplain to congress during Washington's administration." -- Farrell Till in "The Christian Nation Myth.")

There's more here, if you wish to read more.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
While we're at it why not bring back some other traditions from the era when our nation was in its infancy? Slavery, subjection of women, and the wholesale slaughter of the natives in this land come to mind.

I'll take our current situation minus one sitting president.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

That's some interesting stuff which I never knew about. Huh, I'll have to check more into that. Just about all of the things I've read have portrayed George Washington to have been big into prayer.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by redseal
James Madison, the fourth president, known as "The Father of Our Constitution" made the following statement:

"We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

DID YOU KNOW?

Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said:

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

OK, I care little about the founding of the US and its supposed christian roots, I'm quite glad all the puritans ran to the new world, good riddance.

But, I do care about honesty and truth. I also read a few blogs which discuss the dishonesty from the likes of Barton who is a major source peddling the 'christian nation' idea....

There is no evidence, outside of David Barton, that Patrick Henry ever uttered these words. And this in fact is one of those quotes that Barton mentioned in his article that he admitted had never been confirmed (if anyone knows where I can access online this mea culpa article written by Barton, please let me know).

jonrowe.blogspot.com...

As for the Maddison quote:

Another excellent example of the shoddy scholarship of David Barton and his ilk and another quote that simply does not exist. The quote appears in Barton's book, The Myth of Separation, but the footnotes are not to any document written by Madison at all. He cites two other sources, neither of which quotes any document from Madison either. No one has ever located the quote in any of the literally tens of thousands of pages of original documents from or about Madison. The historian Robert Alley, a Madison scholar, has done an exhaustive search and finds nothing even close to this quote from Madison himself. It is entirely inconsistent with everything else that Madison has to say on the subject. After several years of being hammered for his use of such quotations, Barton finally wrote an article admitting that there were a large number of quotes that have never been confirmed that he uses.

scienceblogs.com...

More analysis of David Barton and his BS from Ed Brayton here.

More here.

But I guess the supposed 'christian nation' crew doesn't mind lying for jesus. All in a good cause?

[edit on 14-9-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by redseal

DID YOU KNOW:

The supreme court building was built starting in 1932? Doubt the founders had much to do with the religous overtones.

That said, I am definitely anti-religion, but I believe the ten commandments should be the guide that everyone lives by. Even the one about worshipping false Gods. I believe every religion breaks that one.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by befoiled
While we're at it why not bring back some other traditions from the era when our nation was in its infancy? Slavery, subjection of women, and the wholesale slaughter of the natives in this land come to mind.

Yee haw. I wanna step on an injun, punch my girl in the grill piece, and ride Al Sharpton to work. Imagine how much I could save on gas.

Look, I know how it's cool now to hate on homosexsssusals, but seriously, unless they're sodomizing each other on your front lawn, why would you care?

Because of a goofy piece of fiction?

Sorry, but that's really a non-issue with me, and if anything it's just a disingenuous position used to manipulate the vote. Could you really believe that the well educated people in power care about gay issues?

But you know what does bug me? Hypocrites, like Senator Glory Hole Craig, annoy me to no end. Let's all have a point-and-laugh at his police report.
www.foxnews.com...

I'll take a flaming, bed wetting liberal any day over a lying, hyocritical, douch nozzle of a conservative.

And I'll take Ron Paul over either, but that's a story for another thread.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
Could you really believe that the well educated people in power care about gay issues?

Only insofar as, you imply, it influences the vote. If not gay marriage then illegal immigration ot terrorism or some other fear-based, hot button issue to drive those slobbering religious nuts to the polling booth.

A very effective strategy I must say.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
DID YOU KNOW about the treaty of tripoli which explicitly states that the united states was in no way founded on the christian religion?

DID YOU KNOW that george washington expressed a similar sentiment?

DID YOU KNOW that no legally binding US government documents from the founding of this country establish any religious persuasion to the nation?

DID YOU KNOW that "under god" was only added to the pledge during the 50s?

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by redseal

NEVERTHELESS, the US Constitution states:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

That is both the bottom line as well as the highest authority, legally speaking.

Statuary is not what governs us.

Even the founding fathers were free to enjoy the freedom of speech just as they promised us all.

This country was not created upon Christianity or any other religion! It is a secular government which allows us all to make our own choices concerning spirituality and GOD.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
In regards to the "copy/pasted" origional post; you shouldn't believe everything you read. This sad excuse for a "Did you know?" has many errors, such as:

Source

The United States Capitol does not house the Supreme Court of the United States. The Supreme Court has met in its own building since 1935.

[edit on 9/15/07 by redmage]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
one more thing... liberals...
um, the breaking off from a monarchy to found a constitutional republic was a very liberal act.

isn't it odd that this country was founded on a liberal act and yet "liberal" is something you attack?

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by redseal

So please tells us what is the intention of bringing this old say news?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join