It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leary Rips off Bill Hicks!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Hello friends! Before I get into this I would like to say I try to avoid the Denis Leary/Bill Hicks "taking sides" stance. Even tho I do prefer Hicks over Leary.

Evidence has been put forward for both parties - I try to focus on their individual acts and not let the controversy over who's the real "genius" ruin their performances. Everyone steals from everyone - in the end.

I was once a fan of Denis Leary.. I thought that he was a pretty funny guy.. But the whole time I was laughing at Bill Hicks jokes!!!

I found this youtube video!! Please take some time and check it out if you are 18+ .

Beware this link contains vulgar lang. if you are offended by bad words and the likes, I suggest you dont read this thread..

Proof Leary steals From Bill

I lost my respect for Leary... The man made a stab at hicks, with no cure for cancer.. Hicks died from cancer.. At the end of Leary show, he said..
Here is to you guys who cant drink anymore..(he laughs to himself)
Its Ironic in life that Bill Hicks died of cancer..

I wonder what he would have to say about this if he was confronted?? Its not like he would care now, he has made his money, and while Denis has done some good stuff, I just think he lives within the shadow of Hicks. Ive never heard him say in any show.. Id just like to pay my respect to Hicks, then prehaps I wouldn't be so uptight about the whole deal.
It would be different if Leary atleast gave some props to Hicks, but he didnt even as much show any respect to the man..

He is not here to defend himself, and I for one Will stand up for Bill Hicks!!
And just ask Leary to atleast give the man some love

[edit on 14-9-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
While I do like Denis Leary, there can be no doubt he ripped off Bill Hicks.

The truly sad part is how blatantly he does it. He, in most cases, does the jokes word for word. I mean C'MON!!!!

Denis Leary is a funny guy, surely he could do his own stuff without making a living off a dead legend.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
They even talk about it on Wikipedia

For many years, Leary had been friends with fellow comedian Bill Hicks. However, when Hicks heard Leary's 1992 album No Cure for Cancer, he felt Leary had stolen his act and material. The friendship ended abruptly as a result.[8] At least three stand-up comedians have gone on the record stating they believe Leary stole not just some of Hicks' material but his persona and attitude.[9][10][11][8] As a result of this, it is claimed that after Bill Hicks' death from pancreatic cancer, an industry joke began to circulate about Leary's transformation and subsequent success (roughly; "Question: Why is Denis Leary a star while Bill Hicks is unknown? Answer: Because there's No Cure for Cancer").[11]

en.wikipedia.org...

That sucks, I used to really like No cure for cancer. :shk:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
everyone knows bill hicks > leary

any day!

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I wasn't aware of this. To be honest, I wasn't aware Leary was a comedian...

I don't really think Leary is a good actor, so I never really had "respect" for him. But of the no respect I once had, I've lost a lot of it. He's in the negative now.

Hicks is so much funnier. Even forgetting that Leary copied off of Hicks, just the way Hicks does the joke is funny. Even the parts where there wasn't audio available for the Hicks jokes, I STILL laughed at it.

Bill Hicks is one of my favorite comedians ever. He's a little nutty. Those rants he goes in to when he seems truly pissed off, those are annoying. But when he's calm and gives his sarcasm and political jokes - it's up there close to George Carlin (my favorite all time).

Leary

Hicks

[edit on 11/28/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
At this point and time anybody who knows comedy knows that Bill Hicks was a genius, and also everybody now knows that Dennis Leary ripped off his act. When the subject of Bill Hicks comes up in conversation anywhere in the world, it is always mentioned that Leary ripped him off. Leary will therefore always be remembered for this, and Bill for being the legend.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

top topics

join