It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Ancient Egyptians come into contact with the Toltecs of Mexico?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I remember hearing stories that Egyptian Ships may have sailed to Mexico. There are Toltec statues that look like Africans. I remember hearing stories of Chinese Explorers in Mexico. What do Y'all think?

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I think further discussion on this thread would be beating a dead horse. The search bar is your friend, use it!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Ever hear of THE RA EXPEDITIONS?

Thor Heyerdahl is probably the best-known proponant of the idea of human travel and cultural exchange across the oceans in ancient times. The work of Heyerdahl first came to worldwide attention in 1947 with his Kon-Tiki expedition. This serious and successful experiment with a replicated ancient South American balsa raft demonstrated the practical feasibility of pre-Columbian contacts across the Pacific to Polynesia.1 In 1970, Heyerdahl built a replica of an ancient reed ship and with an international crew of six, managed to easily cross the Atlantic Ocean from the coast of North Africa to the New World. Following the winds and currents, this journey from the port of Safi in Morocco to Barbados took less than two months.

Based on these experiments, I believe it is entirely feasible there was trade and cultural exchange, even colonization, going on in the ancient world.

Don't forget the stories of Viking explorers voyaging beyond Greenland to the Americas either.

Great topic. Thanks for starting this thread.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I think further discussion on this thread would be beating a dead horse. The search bar is your friend, use it!!!

Search bar? Come on he is asking the smartest community on the web! Give the guy some advise not rock his world for asking!

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Keebie

That's precisely what I'm doing...this subject has been discussed REPEATEDLY on these forums, the best thing for him to do is to go back to preexisting threads. Let's build off those discussions, and avoid posting the same things over and over again.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Yes this subject has been repeatedly covered.

But why not cover it again! LOL

Thor was one of my heros (he was nearly always wrong but he was such a gentlemen about it) his book Aku Aku led me into archaeology.

That said, he barely made it to the Americas using reed boat technology. whether the Egyptians would have risked two months (and if they took enough food and especially water) the travel was not important enough to note and left no traces.*

The African looking heads; only 4 out of 17 heads look remotedly 'African'. If you go to that part of Mexico you'll see lots of people with the same kind of flat lips, its a regional adaptation.

*It was once thought that a Roman ship carrying wine might have made it across - the wine providing enough liguid for a crew to have survived. Most ships of that time stopped on shore at night and didn't carry large amounts of water.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   
actually young man, look up the "olmecs".
they were "african" and indeed introduced many cultural influences
to the aboriginal inhabitants. it's no great mystery. unfortunately,
in many instances, history has been "cleansed" of many truths but
the information is there.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I saw something on this a while back, Cocaine Mummies... You can google Cocaine Mummies, here's a coupel links I turned up...
www.druglibrary.org...
www.colostate.edu...

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Howdy Last time here

Why do you think the Olmecs were African?

Here is a good study and discussion (exhaustive) of the interesting find of various substance in mummies.

www.thehallofmaat.com...

There is some preliminary discussion about historical drug use but you can find a discussion of the evidence for 'Cocaine" mummies starting at

"The evidence".

You can also skip to the end and read the Discussion at the end.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
some books you might be interested in on this topic are by an author called maurice cotterell

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by last time here
actually young man, look up the "olmecs".
they were "african" and indeed introduced many cultural influences
to the aboriginal inhabitants.

They aren't. If you've taken a forensics class, then you only have to look at the skulls. The African skulls are very different from Olmec skulls and both are different from European skulls.

This page gives some of the details:

Black individuals have wider nasal openings and subnasal grooves. American Indians and Asians have forward-projecting cheekbones and specialized dental features.

If you can wait for this powerpoint to load (takes forever), it has some nice pictures and details:
www.lakesideschool.org...,1,Forensic Anthropology: Studying Bones

The bones don't lie. People can misinterpet all they like, but the bones don't lie. The Olmecs are AmerInd and not Egyptian/African.

it's no great mystery. unfortunately,
in many instances, history has been "cleansed" of many truths but
the information is there.

It is a shame how some people are trying to rework history to tell things that they prefer. Go to the original sources -- the skeletons of the people themselves.

The bones don't lie.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The bones don't lie but the people interpreting them can get confused...

Or so Professor Solheim use to say to me in Physical Anthropology class

Olmec skeletons

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

You guys should really look into the Mormon religion they believe all this nonsense also. Makes for some intereting reading though.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yes the LDS did a great deal of research trying to prove by blood analysis that native Americans were the lost tribes of Israel. They didn't do too well in finding evidence for that theory. The more recent DNA studies haven't been to helpful for their beliefs either.

An article on DNA

IMormon's and DNA

My LDS friends tell me the explanation for this is

"The Native American ancestors who came from the Middle East could easily have been diluted over thousands of years, so that it is no longer detectable"

Moving the goalposts is an old strategy of religion.

top topics

join