It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Global Warming Hastened By Kuwaiti Oil Field Fires?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I was wondering how much the Kuwaiti oil field fires that Saddam started in the Gulf War might have hastened or even caused the global warming we are now noticing.

It occurred to me while I was watching a TV documentary about the the companies that put out oil field fires that these fires could have been the catalyst that helped global warming get the attention it receives now.

Kuwaiti Oil Fires - Wikipedia
There were almost 800 oil field fires burning for 8 months in Kuwait, burning 6 million gallons of unrefined oil a day!

That would have been over 1 billion gallons of unrefined fuel burning and entering the atmosphere. That HAD to be a shock to the environment and thrown the balance of nature off kilter (global warming). The cloud of smoke from these fires covered 1/5th of the world. Could the planet have been able to deal with what we were normally using, but then these fires pushed the balance over the edge?

Is there any way to figure out how much damage the burning of unrefined oil would do to cause global warming compared to the burning of refined oil?

Maybe then we could compare the earths use of refined oil usage and its affect on global warming vs. the affects of the burning of Kuwaiti's unrefined oil affect, in such a short time, to see how much these fires pushed global warming to where it is today.

Could we have gone decades without noticing the slight rising in temperatures we are seeing now if it wasn't for Saddam lighting all those oil fires in Kuwait?

[edit on 14/9/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
hi there, good post

i cert think it was a poss tipping point, as it is a heck of a lot of pollution etc being put up there .

snoopyuk

join