It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracies: The possible and the plausible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
While I am indeed a conspiracy theorist, of sorts, I question many of the ideas that exist within the community. There is a vast difference between a theory being possible and one being plausible. While most of the theories out there are possible, one has to wonder how plausible some are.

I for one question all of the Illuminatti, Masonic conspiracy theories. When you try to suggest that the Illuminatti or the Masons are "blood sucking, brain-eating, devil worshiping, zombies from planet Xeron," I have some serious doubts, especially when someone reads the literature of the groups that are demonized. Is it possible? I suppose it is. Is it plausible? Nope

There are all kind of conspiracies about 9/11. I avoid the 9/11 forum like it's a plague. I do it for more than one reason. I will list 2 or 3 here:

1. Too many people want to give credence to the idea that the planes were holograms. Why? It is obvious that there was REAL damage done to the buildings and that REAL people were killed. So, to suggest that the planes were not real seems preposterous to me.

2. While I do believe that Bush knew that something would happen, I don't think he knew what. I personally think that his presidency has been hi-jacked by some very evil people. The real question is why. What is it that Bush had planned to do before 9/11, that caused these people to, at least in essence, hi- jack his presidency?

3. I don't think that Islamic fascism is "just an excuse to further American dominance." It wouldn't make sense for America to attempt to destroy its own economy and hi-jack a presidency in an "attempt to further dominance."

Often, people ask, "Where do you draw the line between possibility and plausibility." Well, to me, it's a matter of common sense. If it seems that it is more likely to be true than not, then it is a plausibility. There are many theories out there that are such; as a matter of fact, I'd venture to say that there is anywhere from 30-40 percent of the conspiracy theories that exist that are very plausible. However, there are so many that don't even come close to being so.

Do you agree, or disagree?

[edit on 14-9-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

Mod Edit: cap title

[edit on 9/15/2007 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
i got one theory i know is correct....

how bout how all the big box retail stores, like walmart and lowes and target are all putting in all those "self check out" booths and cutting down the number of employees at the check out?

they make you work for them to buy youre own stuff!
how messed up is that...
i make sure to go to the one real check out person just out of princable i dont care how long the line is.

that is a real conspiracy....

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRepublic
i got one theory i know is correct....

how bout how all the big box retail stores, like walmart and lowes and target are all putting in all those "self check out" booths and cutting down the number of employees at the check out?

Yeah, that is the furthering of the de-socialization process. Look at how many hours a day some people spend on their computers. Hell, I know some people who never talk to anyone; they just spend countless hours in front of their computer.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

All I can say is "Well put". I too feel that while in an infinate universe, all things may be possible, in our one tiny corner of it, all things are not likely.

This is my approach to the UFO controversy as well. Sure, there are some unexplained events that take place that should be looked at more closely, but that doesn't mean that GWB is a shapeshifting reptile from Planet X.

Holding the middle ground is always the firmist footing.Those who call themselves "realists" are refusing to seek knowledge by not looking at anything that hasn't been proved, and the believers by accepting everything without any proof.

Good post.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Certainly. While I consider myself a "realist," I don't discount anything out of hand. I have had far too many strange experiences to ever do that.

However, as you said, just because something may be true, or is likely to be true, doesn't make something else true.

As in the example that you gave, just because UFOs may be of alien nature, doesn't mean that GWB is some sort of a "shapeshifting reptilian." To make such a leap is not only illogical, but to be honest, ridiculous.

[edit on 14-9-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I would think there are some truths both sides know that are in a silent agreement not to speak of. As the self destructive nature of the study. Some thought I feel is almost like a disease.

As far as plausible and possible. i see zealous skeptics and zealous believers. I imagine the truth is almost always in the middle. With some extremes being true, at many times not being true at all.

We are capable of anything good,bad and the crazy.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by diedagaincraftsmen

Died, again, I suspect that the truth is a lot stranger than most of us have taken into account. However, there is a difference between strange and bizarre.

When someone starts taking the whole reptilian thing seriously, for example, I think such thinking is on the verge of mental illness. The whole reptilian concept, at least in my opinion, is nothing more or less than a metaphor for some pretty wicked people.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

1. Too many people want to give credence to the idea that the planes were holograms. Why? It is obvious that there was REAL damage done to the buildings and that REAL people were killed. So, to suggest that the planes were not real seems preposterous to me.

Interesting you bring that up as a reason. Did you see the lawsuit filled by Dr. Morgan Reynolds alleging that exact same thing?

Morgan O. Reynolds is professor emeritus at Texas A&M University and former director of the Criminal Justice Center at the National Center for Policy Analysis headquartered in Dallas, TX. He served as chief economist for the United States Department of Labor during 2001–2002, George W. Bush's first term.

en.wikipedia.org...

Lawsuit

Im not saying I agree with or believe him but he does seem to be a reputable informed person.

It does appear at this point the lawsuit in going to trial so it will be interesting to see what if any evidence is actually provided.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
etshrtslr, yes, I saw the thread posted. However, as I said, I try to steer away from the 9/11 forum here at ATS. There are too many pissing matches in that forum. The 9/11 threads quickly devolve into personal attacks, et cetera. I have no interest in getting involved in them.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I understand and respect that and please understand I was not asking for you to get involved in that or any other 9-11 discussion.

Again, I just found it interesting that there has been a federal lawsuit filed alleging the very thing you mentioned that keeps you out of those threads.

Hopefully, now with the filing of this lawsuit we will all find out if that theory is possible, plausible or preposterious.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by etshrtslr

Hopefully, now with the filing of this lawsuit we will all find out if that theory is possible, plausible or preposterious.

Is it possible? Certainly. Is it preposterous? Well, it all depends. Given that REAL people died and REAL buildings were damaged, I don't really see how a hologram could possibly explain it. On the other hand, there is a theory that the universe itself is nothing more than an elaborate hologram, so, who knows.

[edit on 15-9-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
WOW! How did I miss this thread?

I agree that, while POSSIBLE, a great number of the theories here don't fall into the "plausible" category. Hell, I would even put a few of mine into the "possible but not probably" category.

As far as the 9/11 crap goes; While 9/11 got me back to thinking and I have great respect for a few of the 9/11 "truth" pioneers, I too now avoid the forum and subject like the plague. While the whole story behind 9/11 is FAR from exposed, the "community" has indeed been hijacked by a bunch of nutters and "disinfo" people. While I do not believe these disinfo people are "agent" types, I do believe they exist and I believe they are nothing more than a bunch of the official story types masking themselves to help make the "truth community" look nutty.

GREAT THREAD SoT, as always.

Starred, flagged and bah dah bumped.

Jasn

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Simius, apparently a bunch of people missed this thread...
I really thought that I'd get more of a response from people than what I did on this thread, but, oh well...That's the way it goes..

Anyway, yeah, I have several theories that are possible, but probably not plausible, as well. I suppose everyone does. However, if someone is going to say that "Bush knew that 9/11 was going to happen beyond a shadow of a doubt," they had damn well better come up with some legitimate evidence before I believe it and not try to read "body language," which I think is a bunch of bunk anyway....

Did, Bush know something was going to happen? I think he did. However, whether he knew the particulars is very much up for debate as far as I am concerned.

Now, when you get into the whole "Holographic plane" theory, et cetera, I think that you are treading waters that are not only fanciful, but dangerous to even take seriously... Of course, there is a theory that all "reality" is is one big hologram to begin with, but, I won't get into that.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

top topics

join