It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British astronauts should be trained for space missions, report says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   

British astronauts should be trained for space missions, report says

www.telegraph.co.uk

The BNSC's Space Exploration Working Group (SEWG) said being involved at the start of the new era of space exploration would lead to important breakthroughs in scientific knowledge, stimulate technological advances and bring commercial opportunities.

Prof Frank Close, University of Oxford and chairman of SEWG, said: "We recommend that the UK engages in preparatory human space flight activities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Well considering we had viable rockets whilst most other countries were still foundering about, its about time.

www.spaceuk.org...

Where do I sign ??

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14/9/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
"..Swindon, we have a problem.."

Professors May and Hammond are already leading the way in reusable orbiter technology which should put our proud nation on the lunar map (or at least to a decent picnic-spot in a lay-by on the way to the moon)

Tally-Ho! We have lift-orf Ginger!

Operation Reliant-Robin

Part1

Part2

[edit on 14-9-2007 by citizen smith]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Yes I saw the programme where they launched a Reliant Regal (or was it a Robin)
Very funny!!

We still ave the Rocket Test site on the Isle of wight though

Isle of Wight - UK's Space Race of the 60's
The Isle of Wight played a key role in both Britain's space and nuclear missile programme in the 1960's.

The site at Highdown, just above The Needles was at the forefront of technology and research into how rockets behaved both in space and when they re-entered the atmosphere. To conduct these experiments a rocket called Black Knight was built and tested.

Alice Roberts joins engineers from the original research team and discovers that not only did Black Knight accomplish its mission, but its successor, Black Arrow launched the British satellite 'Prospero' into space. But funding for the space project was withdrawn in favour of developing Concorde, the legendary supersonic plane.

But even now, with the luxury plane grounded, its legend overshadows the space pioneers. A visit to the National Museum of Flight in East Fortune, Scotland, reveals Concorde displayed in pride of place, while the Black Arrow is currently relegated to a storage room.

[edit on 14/9/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Chorlton

I'd be amazed if we even had the capability to put a Regal King Size in orbit at the moment, let alone a Reliant Regal!

I agree, it is about time we got involved. but what level of funding would be required for us to seriously compete and be involved in future space exploration etc?
Could you honestly see the British public accepting this sort of government investment or us gaining it from private investors.
I very much doubt it.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
All we need to do is to start re-investing in Arianne.

That beastie is going to be capable of putting people into space very soon (if it doesnt already have tha capability)

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
British policy towards space was quite "British"..

We didn't care about exploration, but it's nice we are starting to modernise and hopefully we will consider taking part in a moon base project.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The problem is, its only academics who are suggesting this.
I doubt Gordon is going to give any space project one single penny, which is a shame

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
The problem is, its only academics who are suggesting this.
I doubt Gordon is going to give any space project one single penny, which is a shame

No,

I reckon he will. He knows a British space agency would benefit the UK economy and Gordon loves cash

The reports does show a huge economic benefit, so its likely Gordon would back such a thing.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Im amazed that private enterprise hasnt contributed more fromthe UK
It would be a good advertising ploy for them.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
If it's done right, Britain could reap intellectual and economic dividends that we've never had access to before. Let's face it, the UK hasn't been short on the explorers front; Robert Scott, David Livingstone and James Cook to name a few of the famous ones. These ventures greatly enriched Britain (both through knowledge gained and money made). So why not set about exploring the cosmos?

Scrap ID Cards (That's £5.5billion for a start) and start a space programme instead!

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Could you honestly see the British public accepting this sort of government investment or us gaining it from private investors.

Actually, I think such a project would do wonders to rekindle the national imagination and derring-do spirit. Although it wouldn't be done in an aggressive/biggest/fastest/flashiest manner, that's just not the British way.

What we excel at is innovation on a small-scale...high-tech engineering and preferably shed-based

new topics

top topics

join