It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Offers $20 Million Prize for Private Moon Mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Haha, this is awesome, competition is just what we need to motivate this country to get back to the moon and then follow up with a manned base
or at least an orbiting mini station..
I think X Prize is the foundation that offered either 1 or 10 million to the first private company to reach outer space..
Damn, i wish i was rich.. Bill Gates is one boring person, all that money and its like he doesnt even leave his mansion

The co-founder of MS, whos name escapes me at the moment, participated in the X Prize competition to get to space..

Source

LOS ANGELES — Google Inc. is bankrolling a $20 million out-of-this-world prize to the first private company that can safely land a robotic rover on the moon and beam back a gigabyte of images and video to Earth, the Internet search leader said Thursday.

If the competition produces a winner, it would prove a major boon to the emerging private spaceflight industry and mark the first time that a nongovernment entity has flown a lunar space probe.

Google partnered with the X Prize Foundation for the moon challenge, which is open to companies around the world.

The Santa Monica-based nonprofit prize institute is best known for hosting the Ansari X Prize contest that led to the first manned private spaceflight in 2004.

The race to the moon won't be easy or cheap. Teams have to raise money to build a roaming spacecraft that will be tough enough to survive a landing and have the smarts to complete a set of tasks.

Each rover must also be equipped with high-definition video and still cameras to document the journey.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
This is exciting. Maybe they can do a once around before the landing and get us a picture of that base on the back of the moon.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

I wonder what type of "accident" the military has in store for whoever
does make it to the moon?

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Haha that's exactly what i thought!!

Or simply disclose all info before it even gets there, so there isn't anything to explore anymore...

NASA has some reallu juicy footage what will never surface.. until disclosion.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the post, but there is an existing thread on this topic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you.

-closed-

new topics

top topics

join