It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we all came from Fish, what's our next form?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
sorry to disagree, nathan, but we are still evolving. Evolution never stops. Iceland has been settled for only 1000 years and they have begun a distinct shift towards their own genetic identity as a people.

I will, however, concede that the various nanny states are interfering with natural selection by protecting those that would otherwise have weeded themselves out through sheer stupidity or stubbornness. All those laws designed to protect people from themselves have had the unfortunate side effect of dumbing down the gene pool. At least that's how it appears at times.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Evolution will probably never stop that's the beuty of it.

I've read somewhere(I forgot where) that in the future tha man will have two penises and the woman shall have three breasts.

I highly doubt it and i've been doing some research on that but still nothing....

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Evolution will never stop nor will it regress. What do you think will make us more competitive within our selfs or other species?

Evolution takes a very LONG time, in my personal opinion Einstein has evolved a bit more then the rest of us because his brain structure was slightly different then ours. But then you can see animals or kids born with multiple appendages or such defects and this shows you that evolution is a series of genetic mistakes until one comes along that is beneficial to the particular species.

We are very close to enhancing our selfs with technology but isn't hat still evolution?

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
D'oh! Thanks for catching my mistake, MajorMalfunction -- I should have said that we've greatly slowed our evolution. Unless we stop reproducing as an entire species, we'll never quit evolving.

However, the protection of individuals who, if we remained in a more natural, "survival of the fittest" condition, would never breed, is definitely slowing our evolution. These individuals, however, probably do not breed as much as other individuals, and so evolution continues.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Stop attacking Darwinism, OP. It's really starting to piss me off. If you're going to make a topic or discuss something on ATS, you need to have an open mind.

And I can't even fathom what our future is. All we can do now is make a conjecture based on what we know. Over the course of millions of years, we could be anything. Maybe we'll be more resistant to air pollution, temperature and climate change. Maybe we'll have lighter bones and grow wings. Maybe we'll have tougher skin or fur.

It all depends on what happens to the world over the next 65 million years. What if there was another ice age? What if global warming melted the icecaps? We would respond accordingly and evolutionize over time depending on our environment.

And who knows, we might go extinct soon.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Here is an example of evolution (genetic mutation). I think its kind of cute
clicky

[edit on 15-9-2007 by Lecter]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The various difference between different ethnic groups will probably disappear over the next few thousand years (we'll all end up with black or brown hair and light brown coloured skin; 'blondes' are already well on the way to becoming extinct!) and our general build, height, etc may change based on diet and activity. But that's about it. Beyond that it's entirely down to us - the first species ever to be able to control its environment, rather than having to respond to external changes (that, in effect, is what evolution is: a reponse to an external change in environment).

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Yeah, I agree. And based on the reproductive rate of caucasians vs. asians vs. hispanics and blacks, I'd say the final race is a human that's 50% asian, 30% hispanics, 10% black, 5% albinos and 5% caucasian.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by chickeneater

race doesn't exist. it's a construct of the human mind based on superficial features. there is more genetic difference between a tall man and a short man than there is between a white man and a black man.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I doubt genetic traits that are inherent in each race are "superficial features".

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What a great question, since some think evolution is caused, by catastrophes and earth changes, how would this fit into the picture?

Global Warming Is Spurring Evolution, Study Says
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Catastrophic Events in the History of Life: Toward a New Understanding of Mass Extinctions in the Fossil Record - Part I

www.jyi.org...

My guess would be less likely to survive because we are more ill equiped then our ancestors, much weaker, with a weaker immune system.

Therefore,

to evolve and survive we must adapt to our environment to fit the circumstances.

www.e-drexler.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by chickeneater

I doubt genetic traits that are inherent in each race are "superficial features".

Doubt is based on opinion, but is there any substance which can back up that opinion?

As far as I'm aware, Homo Sapiens Sapiens (all of us) came from a common ancestor group and that superficial features such as skin colour and distinctive facial structures are based on diet, environment and time.

Maybe some research is called for before we can properly project future genetic changes. Early in the thread, I made some suggestions which are based entirely on environmental effects, but there is a vast difference between those possibilities and actual genetic changes.

Or am I looking at this from an ignorant viewpoint? Where's those PhD Geneticists when we need them?

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Brains vary according to this study by J. Philippe Rushton and Arthur R. Jensen fron the University of Western Ontario and Berkley, respectively.

Thisd study seems to back up what you say.

Some excerps;

The Worldwide Pattern of IQ Scores. East Asians average higher on IQ tests than Whites, both in the U. S. and in Asia, even though IQ tests were developed for use in the Euro-American culture. Around the world, the average IQ for East Asians centers around 106; for Whites, about 100; and for Blacks about 85 in the U.S. and 70 in sub-Saharan Africa.

*snip*

Race Differences and the Out-of-Africa theory of Human Origins. East Asian-White-Black differences fit the theory that modern humans arose in Africa about 100,000 years ago and expanded northward. During prolonged winters there was evolutionary selection for higher IQ created by problems of raising children, gathering and storing food, gaining shelter, and making clothes

www.news-medical.net...

The outcry that this study provoked became front page news and calls for Rushdon's resignation were heated. However, he remains on the faculty at Western.

psychology.uwo.ca...

Some more hints...

Genetic markers for proposed gene-disease associations vary in frequency across populations, but their biological impact on the risk for common diseases may usually be consistent across traditional 'racial' boundaries.

link

As the Human Genome Project progressed over the last decade, many on the Left felt the heat of renewed interest in racial differences—they could not be so easily dismissed once we could look inside the genetic code. As a result they have renewed their efforts to deny that racial differences exist in any form other than simply the color of one's skin or the shape of one's lips. However, the denial of racial differences has been based on the specious premise that race is defined by distinct boundaries—a premise that no one but a scientific illiterate could entertain.

home.comcast.net...

As I read through these pages, I found that the the research is still in its infancy and yet beseiged by politically motivated nay-sayers.

I still don't know where I stand on this yet, but I can see that chickeneater may have a point.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I seemed to have stumped most evolutionists here. And herein the prrof that they lack imagination and are signboard for this message:

Science: The Art of naming, measuring and observing mysterious phenomenons.

And that shall be my #3 sig.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by chickeneater

um... you haven't stumped anyone, you've just setup a strawman.
so, in reality you just threw out a logical fallacy and claimed victory.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
So then the religion is... the art of making sh*t up?

Yes, any science encourages/requires a great amount of careful observation and collection of data.

Religion requires what? Blind faith?

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Sureiyaa]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Um Hi, newbie and don't know why i chose this as my cherry popper, but I just want to know how long is it gonna take for the apes/chimps to evolve into humans? Since we evolved from them, shouldn't they evolve into us? I really hope that's not an idiotic statement!!!!
Thanx

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
If we all flap our arms enough we'll get wings! Wait...

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Evolution does not work that way.

Also, apes have no reason to evolve further than they are -- we're already at the top rung of the "ladder", so to speak. They have nowhere to go, so they won't evolve further.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Actually Chickeneater I really do think we will look like Aliens. I am not a UFO nut but I have always thought that the sterotypical Alien images look like Humans.

I mean would we really need large bodies a million years from now given all of our technological advancements? Wouldn't our brains and therefore our head be bigger because all of the collective knoweledge of a million years? Might we be telepathic? Wouldn't we have advanced medical, transportational and weopons knowledge? Could we have mastered time or inter-demensional travel and visit previous eras in order to alter the course of human events or catastrophes?

Just a hypothosis.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join