It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100% Electric Car Looks Like Porsche, Accelerates Like Ferrari, Consumes Only Electricity

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
I mean you can't crowd them. On the ground they have a small footprint but you can't stick them within a few inches of eachother without compromising efficiency.

Oh I agree then, on land. But there are new larger floating turbines on the drawing board that could change all that. Reduces the cost of offshore facilities by only having to use an anchor that can be drawn back up when the season dictates it(ie bird migration season, storm season, etc). I forget where the thread is but if you find it I think you'll be impressed at the sheer scale of them as well. Approaching the scale where efficiency starts to max out. Combine that with Onshore flow battery stations(lots of them) and you can provide a fairly large chunk of energy demand. The flow batteries can also be used to store unused nuclear energy as well as all non-scalable/unpredictable sources of energy. Add in tidal into the floating windmill design ..... wow, that's actually a good idea i wonder if it's feasible to actually do with today's technology? A hybrid Floating Tidal-Wind Turbine. Hmm.

They would have to utilize thermal energy as well then, as that is where most of the sun's energy is. As far as practicality I think thermal solar generator stations are more viable than purely electrical solar stations. Less wasted energy.

That brings up so many logistical headaches that I don't even want to get into it in detail right now... but lets just say that the maintenance required by even a relatively new plant is quite burdensome on the bottom line, and thus competitiveness. The "Progress Curve" still favors Solar. It's doubling roughly every 8 years efficiency wise and I expect 40+% efficient panels to be on the market by the end of this decade if not sooner. One of my old profs is playing around with some samples right now, hopefully I'll get to play with them soon hehe. You should check out Google Earth and pay attention to just how much open space there is in the city.

Also I wanted to point out that there are new urban turbines, they aren't that efficient in open spaces but they become really efficient in the chaotic wind environment of downtown in cities everywhere.

we need something in orbit. A lot of something in orbit. I just don't see it being practical to invest the resources needed to establish such a system until we've fully utilized the plentiful energy that is available right here.

No argument from me man, but it could become moot if we ever have a fusion breakthrough. I have a hunch that we are close(within 25 years close lol)

Supplementing the grid sounds a lot like purchasing carbon offsets, and look at how big of a joke that is.

Supplementing the grid is the wrong word for what I see as our pre-fusion energy future. I see us cobbling together a new set of energy sources and I believe that for a while gasoline and water shortages will force us to just make do with what we got. I don't believe we have time to build enough fission plants to stop whats coming. Not trying to sound alarmist or anything, but I just don't see anyway around some sort of hardship due to shortages of essentials.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion

But, you may say "the car
produces no emissions!".

Correct. But, the power plant
has to produce more electricity
to provide the power.

Nothing is free.

Regards,
Lex

Electricity generation plants are the largest industrial source of CO2 emissions.

No, nothing is for free.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Nothing is free.

Regards,
Lex

Is wind not free? Is salt water not free? Is gravity not free? Is air not free? I could go on and on and on and on... I mean come on.. the free air you are breathing is keeping you alive. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they've tried coming up with ways to charge for air.

apc

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
You should check out Google Earth and pay attention to just how much open space there is in the city.

All the open spaces around here are filled with cows. Energy from methane?

I don't believe we have time to build enough fission plants to stop whats coming. Not trying to sound alarmist or anything, but I just don't see anyway around some sort of hardship due to shortages of essentials.

I tend to agree.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
While all the social conscious are falling all over themselves
about this 'OHM' car...

there is another anti-ohm auto being made available to those who don;t share this vision of ecological responsibility.

Dang the carbon-credit economy that some are trying to foist on the populations...
here's a real top-flyer, 'Stealth", V-12, hedonistic car to flaunt at the peons...

see image and article here: Its called 'REVENTON'
www.autoblog.com...

....If you want a Price quote...then you can't afford it!
(its over $1M)
enjoy the rewards of capitalism
instead of wrapping oneself into a shell

apc

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Oh... my... GOD.

That's it. I don't even need to own one. Just seeing it has given my life the ultimate fulfillment. I can die in peace now.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Man, I sure hope these cars replace our ones. They are obviously better for our planet + they look really nice too !

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I stand by my post.

What produces the power
to charge the batteries ?

When THAT becomes fossil-
free, I'll kneel.

Regards,
Lex

But, power made by fossil fuels at a power plant is FAR more energy efficient than power made by fossil fuels in an internal combustion engine in a car.

However, it is another finger in the dike, if you ask me.

I personally will not own an electric car until all power is produced without fossil fuels. My bicycle produces minimum emissions(I do exhale co2 after all).

Vas

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
But there are new larger floating turbines on the drawing board that could change all that. Reduces the cost of offshore facilities by only having to use an anchor that can be drawn back up when the season dictates it(ie bird migration season, storm season, etc). I forget where the thread is but if you find it I think you'll be impressed at the sheer scale of them as well. Approaching the scale where efficiency starts to max out.

Here you go:

Floating Oceanic Windmills Could Produce More Power And Be More Economic

I also read in Wired Magazine February 2007 about this Texas company who are planning to use old abandoned oil rigs that litter the harbours of Galveston as a platform to set up wind turbines in the Gulf. Now that's thinking smart. Recycle, reduce and re-use

Edit:fixed quotes

[edit on 15-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Well all great ideas I´m sure...

I ask again:

Would you rather fill your tank with $25 of gasoline to drive 250miles or put $2.50 of electricity in your tank to drive 250 miles?

Would you rather use polluting fossil fuels or use clean electric energy?

The pollution produced by nuclear power plants is negligable compared to CO2 exhaust produced by combustion engines!

You car becomes an appliance people, like your fridge or dishwasher....

No more fossil fuels needed, no oil changes and practically zero maintenance. I would not only buy a Tesla Roadster myself, heck I would GIVE each of you on the forum one if I had the money for it.

And frankly, you must know by now that it is quite simple to produce energy to power your house, e.g. by solar or wind power. Why not power your car at the same time?

So, what´s it going to be?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Tesla Motors recently signed a loan agreement with the Dept of Energy for 485 million. So these bad boys might be all over the streets soon.

100 grand isn't much for what it is. It outperforms that Lamborghini Reventon, which costs a cool million. In fact, there are only two production cars that outperform it, one costs 400 grand and one costs 12 MILLION.

The 230hp (180 kw) motor only weighs 70 pounds. The batteries are the big thing. They are using lithium ion batteries like your laptop has. An advance in battery or supercapacitor technology will give the push needed.

And if you had a wind generator in your own backyard you could just charge it up for free. I'm not in the habit of driving more than 250 miles in a day.

www.teslamotors.com...

[edit on 8-2-2010 by CaptChaos]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Here is a homemade version. Bada$$.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Put one of these in your backyard and charge it up:

www.ggt-tw.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth4hire

these are decent cars, although failed a bit when i seen it on tv getting reviewed..

one thing which baffles me is the fact, that even though it is a "fast car" its always going to double the time it actualy takes you do do a long journey of over 200 miles, which in any car following speed limits would take about 3-4 hours, as it takes another 3.5 hours to charge! .......

for me, the thought was for people driving from north scotland to really any part of england... the journey would take double the time !

the irony kills me!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Electric vehicles.

Gotta love them.

Then, gotta ask :

Where does the electricity
come from ?

Coal-fired power plants,
mostly.

But, you may say "the car
produces no emissions!".

Correct. But, the power plant
has to produce more electricity
to provide the power.

Nothing is free.

Regards,
Lex

Yeah but really that coal would have been burned anyway to generate power.

No unnecessary fossil fuels are burned in the driving of this vehicle.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I saw a vehicle that you can power from the house, but also powers as you drive it. so if you have any excess power generated from driving, then you can plug it into the grid and anyone else can use it, or go home and plug it into your house.

Now that is the perfect system.

The house is solar powered by the way.

As for that car, that Tesla is one sweet looking ride.

I want one.Gimme gimme

[edit on 8-2-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Wow, that car is disgusting!! Hard to believe it's electric. These things are the wave of the future no matter who complains about them.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
What will they think of next when they run out of Lithium?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Petrol heads will never get the thrill of a proper man's ride with electricity cars. Petrol cars will be a thing of the passed if replaced with electricity motors. Petrol cars will be appreciated more then. Ilove listening to the roar from my engine everytime i accelerate hard pumping that petrol into my fuel lines. Why would i want to replace a roar of a 6 cylinder engine or a v8 or for those with more money than myself who can afford a flat 6 engine, v10-v12,v14 and rotary engines for an electric car that'll sound more like a hair-dryer or lawn motor for me.

Just enjoy the resources we have and enjoy technology that will soon advance after we're gone.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Great find ! I'll be sure to purchase one in the years to come, think of all money on gas you'd save, help the planet in at least the bit, even though it will tug more on fossil fuels, at least your goood to go knowing you've done your part.

Wonder if they plan to roll out a cheaper type?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join