It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air National Guard buys a virtual “A-10C PE Desk Top Simulation” from a Russian game company!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   

MONSTER WARGAME DEVELOPER ATTRACTIVE TO US MILITARY: Lock On makers sell to Air National Guard

Eagle Dynamics, the Russian game company responsible for Lock On, an air combat flight simulator, announced its commercial products were being delayed by contracts with the US military.

www.dickdestiny.com...

Forum link;

forum.lockon.ru...

And here we are. Our pilots will offitially be going through traning on software created by a Russian company.

A-10 DTS looks like a further development of “The Battle Simulator” which I covered on ATS a year ago, but I sure did not expect ANG to officially contract Moscow based Eagle Dynamics to code a sim for their pilots.

Here’s the thread on “The Battle Simulator”;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yet another example of that yes, they are “that good”, and you can buy a retail copy of the publicly available sim in your local store under the title of “Lock On: Flaming Cliffs” and that there hasn’t been an American made sim of the same level since 1995.

Back then the absolute king of virtual sims was “Falcon 3”, right up until the first Eagle Dynamics product hit the shelves.

Unbelievable but true!

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Why is it so unbelievable? So the Russians have more people devoted to making large, expensive and highly realistic combat flight simulations than other countries. So what. I've got Flanker 2.0, and although it's kinda old compared to Lock On, it's bloody awesome! So detaled, and the weapons and weapons systems are so realistic I'm still learning new things a year later.

And 'm pretty sure the Russians haven't released a good train simulator yet!

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
the game industry isnt really a russia vs us business.

I have to agree with that all good flight sim's that have come out recently all came from russia. Lock on and il2 just dominate the genre.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Well the armed forces of several nations also use this game Virtual Battlefield Simulator/VBS2 (which is called Armed Assault in the civilian market) for training purposes and that is made by a Czech company.

Its a great game and I highly recommend it. Its called Armed Assault: Combat Operations in the US and just Armed Assault elsewhere and its about $40 USD.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Why is it so unbelievable? So the Russians have more people devoted to making large, expensive and highly realistic combat flight simulations than other countries.

Well that’s the point! LockOn is NOT expensive, their team is NOT huge, their budget is NOT bloated.

Flight simms for fun is great, but when US tax payers dollars are spent on Russian products to train US pilots I get just a tad concerned.

Why aren’t those tax dollars spent on US made simulators?

Unfortunately I know why, and it’s because the project will inevitably get stretched out over a decade, its budget will bloat to the point where it’ll be cheaper just to buy it from somebody else, and I guarantee that some US company already botched up a dedicated A-10 sim and that’s why ANG is buying form the Russians.

I've got Flanker 2.0, and although it's kinda old compared to Lock On, it's bloody awesome! So detaled, and the weapons and weapons systems are so realistic I'm still learning new things a year later.

Don’t I know it! I have every release from Flanker 1 to FC, but what bugs me is that Falcon 3 was absolutely great for its time. That marvelous 400 page manual, great coding, all went down the tubes as the years went by, while the Russians somehow kept putting out a great product even during all the buy outs.

Millions are invested in advanced graphic engines so the player can see a reflection on the ejected casing from a characters gun while he shoots it in mid air, but when it comes to some old fashion physics, we have to buy it from the Russians.

Somehow American people were convinced that thinking is to be considered as some sort of manual labor to be done by foreigners.

That just bugs me, we went to the Moon for God's sake, and now we can’t even make our own training soft.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I have to agree with that all good flight sim's that have come out recently all came from russia. Lock on and il2 just dominate the genre.

I picked up IL-2 1946 when I was in Russia.

A licensed copy was 6 bucks.

Its a great game and I highly recommend it. Its called Armed Assault: Combat Operations in the US and just Armed Assault elsewhere and its about $40 USD.

Got that one too. I had to get it since I first became aware of “Flash point, Cold War Crisis.”

One good example of an American sim would be Steel Beasts Pro, which is actually used in Army training.

They are not really games by the way. They are combat simulators. Pentagon published a study done years ago as a part of informational and psychological warfare program run out of fort Bragg.

edit:spl

[edit on 13-9-2007 by iskander]

top topics

join