It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blacks walk out on Gov. Bush's MLK speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Well, whatdaya know? Who would've figured.

Black students walk out on Jeb Bush's MLK day speech at FAMU
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - About a dozen students walked out Monday before Gov. Jeb Bush gave a Martin Luther King Jr. day address at historically black Florida A&M University.

The 150-seat auditorium classroom was filled to capacity when the group, identified only as "students of FAMU," handed out a one-page statement describing Bush's holiday visit as disrespectful to King's legacy and black students.

They contrasted Bush's position with King's on affirmative action, racism and war and chastised the governor for not restoring the voting rights to black voters who were erroneously purged from the rolls prior to the 2000 presidential election.

The governor's brother, George W. Bush, won the White House when he won Florida by 537 votes following a controversial recount.

Bush said he had been unaware of the walkout, but said such demonstrations are "an important element of our free society."

"They have every right to do it. It doesn't bother me a bit," said Bush, who had been invited by the school to speak.

www.miami.com...

[Edited on 20-1-2004 by Colonel]

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Its good that some people realize all this bull for what it really is--trying to solicit votes from groups of people by making them think the person is concerned about them..in this case black people.

(Now lets wait for the people who say it was rude to protest)

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
That's because jeb is a moron. Plainly put.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kramtronix
That's because jeb is a moron. Plainly put.

Must run in the family.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel"They have every right to do it. It doesn't bother me a bit," said Bush, who had been invited by the school to speak.

Stupid reply from him. A good intelligent person would have said something like "I am sorry to see them go but I respect their opinion and hope one day we can meet in the middle."...or whatever.

Just plain stupid this whole family. Bah.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by shoo

Originally posted by Colonel"They have every right to do it. It doesn't bother me a bit," said Bush, who had been invited by the school to speak.

Stupid reply from him. A good intelligent person would have said something like "I am sorry to see them go but I respect their opinion and hope one day we can meet in the middle."...or whatever.

Just plain stupid this whole family. Bah.

Its stupid becausew they don't care so they say whatever. Does ANYONE actually believe that Jeb and Dubya care about minorities? No. And neither do they, so they say whatever comes out of their mouth.

I can't believe he got invited to FAMU.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Shoktek, you'll be waiting a long time. What people said was rude was vocally booing at a grave site. It is quite different protesting at a school event.

FYI you're all full of # when you claim it's disrespectful for jeb bush to attend an event like this. You may ask why I say that. The reason is because if he didn't attend any events like this you same "moral crusaders" would say that he's a piece of crap and a racist for not going to any mlk events.

Spare us please, in this case it is clearly damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Colonel, I'd like to invite you to deny that you would've blown a fit had Gov. Bush ignored MLK day entirely. Just as you have now because he went to an event. Catch 22 wouldn't you say?

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
shoo, his reply is the proper one. every person has the right to walk out of a speech if they don't want to hear it. had he done something insensitive at the event to prompt it, then i could see him expressing more interest in "meeting in the middle". here however this did not occur, and like i said before the same students would have protested if bush did zero mlk events so he chose not to let it bother him, it's a catch 22 anyways.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
Does ANYONE actually believe that Jeb and Dubya care about minorities? No.

Does anyone believe that ANY white politician cares about minorites? If so, you're a damn fool.

Democrats may appease minorities, but this ain't the 60's, bro. You're living in the past with this "Democrats represent minorites" trash. Kerry and Dean don't give a flyin' rat's arse about blacks, hispanics or anyone else.

Point blank:
Politicians care about one color: GREEN. Democrooks are no different.

[Edited on 01/13/04 by kramtronix]

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Shoktek, you'll be waiting a long time. What people said was rude was vocally booing at a grave site. It is quite different protesting at a school event.

FYI you're all full of # when you claim it's disrespectful for jeb bush to attend an event like this. You may ask why I say that. The reason is because if he didn't attend any events like this you same "moral crusaders" would say that he's a piece of crap and a racist for not going to any mlk events.

Spare us please, in this case it is clearly damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Colonel, I'd like to invite you to deny that you would've blown a fit had Gov. Bush ignored MLK day entirely. Just as you have now because he went to an event. Catch 22 wouldn't you say?

Honestly, I would've been happy if he NEVER attended another black event EVER. After that sham in Africa, I don't want to see him or ANY of his family at any ANY other black function EVER!

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kramtronix

Originally posted by Colonel
Does ANYONE actually believe that Jeb and Dubya care about minorities? No.

Does anyone believe that ANY white politician cares about minorites? If so, you're a damn fool.

Democrats may appease minorities, but this ain't the 60's, bro. You're living in the past with this "Democrats represent minorites" trash. Kerry and Dean don't give a flyin' rat's arse about blacks, hispanics or anyone else.

Point blank:
Politicians care about one color: GREEN. Democrooks are no different.

[Edited on 01/13/04 by kramtronix]

WRONG!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Does anyone actually put any faith in anything that Colon-el says?? He is a malcontent and a zealot.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Did you hear about Dean showing up to a church on Sunday attempting to make a speech?

He wanted to be all buddy buddy with the black people, and they told him he was not allowed to make his speech, and that he wasn't invited.

He stormed out flaming pissed, and started telling the reporters to get a life, and that their losers because all they do is follow him around...

sounds like we got a crazy on our hands!

I'm glad black people don't take any # from the whitey's though.
That's cool

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is a lie. The congregation didn't want him there because he was surrounded by a gaggle of reporters who disrupted a solemn ceremony. Dean was mad at the reporters for being overbearing and intrusive in a quiet ceremony.

Stop friggin lying and next time you quote an event get the the article or we can just all assume that its a LIE.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Sorry, it's what I heard from newmax.com

I'll get the paper for you.

hold on.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Its not catch-22, when we ALL know that these people dont give one # about black people, or whoever else theyre trying to get votes from, they might as well stay in their own redneck neighborhoods and not risk the humiliation, its good people can see that its not genuine.

new topics

top topics

join