It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Daily show/colbert report are the only true news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Yes i have to say it, but lately i have been watching all major news channels and i have to say out of fox/nbc/cnn/ and all the other news stations the daily show on comedy central and the Colbert report seem to be the only ones that tell it like it is ( and with comedy too:lol

Just look at this latest report that John Stewart gave on General Dave Petraeus

spikedhumor.com...

I don't think i have heard that one cnn, and i somehow feel like john and Colbert can relate to people like us the normal and very open minded people of ats and some of the world. WE actually have an idea of who is lien and who isnt.

What do you guys think?

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I think they are parodies. This does not, however, mean that they are not filling a great need.

I work with a lot (a LOT) of young adults, from 18 to 23 years old. Most of them are college students who don't have time, desire, need (in their eyes) to follow news or politics. But when I ask them what they thought of the latest report on Colbert or Stewart, they are full of opinions! And have a greater knowledge of current events than they give themselves credit for.

I have used these shows as a starting point for much of the research I do on current events. And I have bought numerous books because of the guest authors these guys have interviewed. So, while I take all the "news" I get from these shows with a grain of salt, I take very seriously their contribution toward raising awareness of current events.

And, I think Colbert is hot.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
i have to agree with you but i recently saw the bashing that bill oreilly gave to Ron Paul, and honestly i do not think that john Stewart would do the same thing if Ron Paul was on his show...i mean just watch this sick stuff its horrible, i wanna punch bill in the face

spikedhumor.com...

look at what news has become, the news is only supposed to present factual information and not be ignorant when a person with higher credibility than themselves speak...i mean can you believe Bill what a jerk.

Ron Paul 08

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I've thought the same thing for a long time, so I can't even argue with you about it.

I tend to call Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert the news, and the other stuff is infotainment.

Considering that large corporations actually pay to insert "news stories" that are just advertisements in drag, I wouldn't trust the infotainment stories about national events as far as I could throw them.

Local news, though, tends (at least around here) to be somewhat accurate.

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I have a hard time watching the mainstream news anymore because of the enormous bias. If I watched only CNN for my news I'd probably be screaming about how the sky is falling by now. Luckily they're slightly more tolerable online since you can pick and choose your news stories. The benefit of the internet is that I don't have to see the latest news on Brittney Spears or whoever is popular at the moment, instead I could look at articles in the science section.

As for watching on the television however, the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are the undisputed kings of unbiased TV. Despite the fact that the Colbert Report intentionally puts a huge right wing bias on the news, it's done in such a comical and often outlandish manner that it's far less right wing than the O'Reily show has ever been. And the Daily Show actually manages to avoid left or right wing bias altogether by focusing on the absurdity of the news in general. It's absolutely fantastic.

The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are quite sadly the only two shows I feel I can actually count on these days for accurate (mostly) and unbiased news. But at least there's the internet for what they don't manage to cover in their thirty minute slots.

top topics

join