It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion Impeding the Advancement of Science

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think one thing to consider besides it just being religions' fault, is that maybe it's not religion itself, but the world leaders and corrupt religious leaders that hinder science.

A lack of knowledge is power to these people. Keep them coming to you for their problems rather than relying on science. Keep them down in their little groveling world and their ignorance so that you can control them.

I don't think a belief in a God or higher power hinders any kind of science. I believe that science is a part of God's creation. Both go hand in hand to me.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by closettrekkie
I think one thing to consider besides it just being religions' fault, is that maybe it's not religion itself, but the world leaders and corrupt religious leaders that hinder science.

In any case the world would be better off without religion.

A lack of knowledge is power to these people. Keep them coming to you for their problems rather than relying on science. Keep them down in their little groveling world and their ignorance so that you can control them.

A lack of knowledge is also power to religion, in fact, especially to religion.

I don't think a belief in a God or higher power hinders any kind of science. I believe that science is a part of God's creation. Both go hand in hand to me.

Science is from men, not magical beings. There's nothing superstitious about science, in fact it disproves religion, all of them.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
The reason why Muslim Society has stopped researching science is because they've reached the point that if they research more, primarily into genetics and biology, they'd begin to disprove their own religion (Evolution and such.).

Interestingly enough, while many Islamic scholars vehemently deny evolution, Islam itself does not really hold a position against it (and may even be considered a proponent).

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Referring to the article you posted: at about what time did arabic-islamic countries start drifting away from knowledge/science into religion? 1800s? earlier? later? It would be interesting to find out the causes of this.

As far as I'm aware (and I've not studied the history all that deeply unfortunately), around that time, all the different schools of Islamic thought were banned except for 4 (incidentally, these four schools of thought are also where the modern concept of 'sharia' comes from). This started an idea of "Do not question!", which probably was one of the causes of the decline in Islamic emphasis on new learning.

While religion definitely caused many impediments to science, it would be foolish to ignore all the advances it also helped. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, its a question of power, and ignorance is very useful for anything that wants to stay in power.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Talk about your propagandistic rhetoric, no wonder I'm hanging down in BTS lately.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
All to often in history peoples right to self ponder whats out there..been next to nil. to a point i would agree with many of you. i am a big Galileo fan.

but..what is constant is change. many religions support major universities with impressive science programs. for many in modern times the two can healthily co-exist. not fully though and will always be that way until the cows come home.

having said that i heavily agree on the Islamic beliefs hampering their society for the last few centuries. and that factor contributes to the current chaos over there. the society could use a good renaissance.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSide

You're entitled to your opinion, but please allow me mine and be repectful of those who believe differently than you. I don't condone organized religion - I think it's a big scam. But I am a believer in Christ - live and let live please.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

looks like you can't come up with a coherent argument here, so you're just labeling the argument as "propagandistic rhetoric" so you can avoid a real discussion.

so why is it "propagandistic rhetoric"?

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

The reason why Muslim Society has stopped researching science is because they've reached the point that if they research more, primarily into genetics and biology, they'd begin to disprove their own religion (Evolution and such.).

Interestingly enough, while many Islamic scholars vehemently deny evolution, Islam itself does not really hold a position against it (and may even be considered a proponent).

Well, yeah, sure. I mean, I'm sure the Koran doesn't say anywhere in it "Evolution is a fraud." or anything, anymore than the Bible does.

Thing is, it is an Abrahamic religion, and while I've never read the Koran, I'm sure they believe in the same creation story as Jews and Christians...give or take a few things.

Which, indirectly, denies evolution because it believes in another explanation.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yet another BS anti-religious thread. Shall we give up modern humanist values as well? All of them are based on more than 5,000 years of religious laws. The Anti-Religious types are saying religion is holding back science, what a load of felgercarb! Pure scientific research lead to the atrocities done to people in German and Japanese death camps.

What is holding back scientific research is pure greed! If it's not making money for some investor, it doesn't get funded. If it's not some rich person's pet project, it doesn't get funded. If it's a big enough threat to a major corporation's profit margin, the science will get suppressed and the scientist may get disappeared.

This is yet another disinfo thread started to create a heated pointless heated argument.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

Technology might have made the weapons that make killing much more efficient, but it is the corrupt leaders, historically many time religious leads, that use them to keep there power. The advancement of science has been impeded by religion. If you are bent on saying other wise read about the fallout from Galileo's Great Book Of Cosmology. Or about how men of science bend there research and publications to conform to religious text.
Money is a big factor in science, but when religious leads have the political power, money often becomes secondary to political power.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

Sorry, morality was usurped by religion, it doesn't stem from religion.

Morality comes from our biological imperative to reciprocal altruism, which is something that exists within all social animal structures, and even between different species.

Religion's true purpose is mind control. It isn't the keeper or origin of morality.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Atheism is just another belief system. Modern scientist bicker with each other over hypotheses with as ardently as any two clergymen from competing religion. Modern science can't explain how human brains perceive and interpret visual and audio images to form what is known as three dimensional reality. And yet atheist still want to tell everyone that there's no 'God' because they can't prove his physical existence. Prove reality first! The Atheistic fundamentalists all need to take as big a chill pill as any fundie Christian or Muslim. Calling religious followers dupes and fools aren't going to win you any converts. Prove your belief system is more advantageous to the whole of mankind. Science has brought us the means of efficient self destruction, what will it bring us next?

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Well, yeah, sure. I mean, I'm sure the Koran doesn't say anywhere in it "Evolution is a fraud." or anything, anymore than the Bible does.

Thing is, it is an Abrahamic religion, and while I've never read the Koran, I'm sure they believe in the same creation story as Jews and Christians...give or take a few things.

Which, indirectly, denies evolution because it believes in another explanation.

True enough, whatever would be written in the scripture, the followers would be able to 'interpret' it so that it matched up with current scientific thinking. But thats not what I'm talking about. Anyhow, on the surface of it, the abrahamic creation story doesn't really 'deny evolution'.

Y'know, that's another interesting thing. While nonchristians admit they barely looked into Islam, they conveniently attribute most of Christian/Jewish thought to it, and while christians admit they barely looked into Islam, they conveniently attribute many 'unchristian' things to it; even while those things are not applicable

About the morality branch of this topic, I think 'usurped' is a very weird word to use. Obviously morality doesn't stem from religion, but that doesn't mean that the root of most western humanist values are based of biblical laws. It'd be stony faced ignorance to deny that.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx
Atheism is just another belief system.

atheism is a lack of belief... it can't be a belief anything, let alone a system.

Modern scientist bicker with each other over hypotheses with as ardently as any two clergymen from competing religion.

except that the scientists use evidence in their arguments...

Modern science can't explain how human brains perceive and interpret visual and audio images to form what is known as three dimensional reality.

yeah... because we don't know everything.
we'll figure it out eventually.

wait... are you implying that the brain creates reality? cause that's wrong.. the brain experiences reality... 4 dimensionally, i might add.

And yet atheist still want to tell everyone that there's no 'God' because they can't prove his physical existence.

we can't prove anything about any god, let alone the one you'd label with masculine pronouns, betraying your abrahamic persuasion.

Prove reality first!

...that's just stupid, meaningless philosophical BS. what's the point of proving something when it's a postulate? we postulate reality exists, we don't need to prove it

The Atheistic fundamentalists all need to take as big a chill pill as any fundie Christian or Muslim.

...there are no "atheistic fundamentalists"
atheists would be happy to follow a religion that was proven to be true, so there aren't any fundamentalists.

Calling religious followers dupes and fools aren't going to win you any converts.

...um... where have we done that?

Prove your belief system is more advantageous to the whole of mankind. Science has brought us the means of efficient self destruction, what will it bring us next?

science isn't a belief system, we have no belief system...
science is a method, a tool.

hmm... ok, let's see.
have you ever taken an antibiotic?
do you live in a house?
you're using a computer...
do you eat food grown on a farm?

atheistic science, science with no mention of god (the same type that all scientists, regardless of religion, practice) has led to thousands of advancements.

oh, and you equated nazi germany to science earlier... and to an extent atheism...
nazi germany was a country of christians... run by a christian who had a funny mustache. \

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx:
Atheism is just another belief system.

Atheist don't gather in groups and reinforce each others ego/faith, they don't gather and sing songs about the righteousness of there cause and of themselves. They don't just associate with other believers to justify there actions, because its all gods will, so be judgmental, because only threw us will you be saved and by all means be hypocritical because threw us you will live in paradise.

Now back on topic:

Until resent years there really has been no research regarding life after death or near death experiences because the church has a monopoly on life after death.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I can not think of one major scientific discovery that has occurred due to organised religion.
I can think of numerous scientific discoveries that have occurred despite organised religion.
Therefore I think it's fair to state that organised religion does not aid the advancement of science.

Maybe that's as it should be, science for the physical world, religion for the spiritual.

Me, my spiritual beliefs are just that, mine, and they will remain to be that.

Organised religion has no place in the future development of mankind and it has only been since it has had less of an overall control on us that we have started seeing significant scientific advancements.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

You mean like Johan Keppler, Francis Bacon, Blaise Pascal, Michael Faraday, Samuel F. B. Morse, Louis Pasteur, Joseph Lister, Werner Von Braun or Leonardo Da Vinci???

Oh! Don't forget George Washington Carver!
Mr. Carver was well known for saying he had asked God to show him how to invent.

If Godless evolution is all you want, you're a fool according to the bible.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Just look at the problems regarding stem cell research, because one group thinks it immoral, they feel they have the right to interfere with research that could one day cure many illnesses. They are outlawing or restricting research based on there religious beliefs.

So yes they are Impeding Advancement of Science.

Did you know that adult stem cells have more potential than embryonic cells????
Why do we need to meddle with human life , needlessly??
Greedy 'scientists' will leave morals aside to pursue "frankenstiens"...for profit and fame.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Whilst some of the people you mention may in deed have been religous people, it wasn't their religous beliefs that drove their scientific experiments, it was their personal thirst for knowledge, something quite different.
Da Vinci's public personna may have been one of a conventional follower of religion, I think it's well documented that his private beliefs were somewhat different.
I believe the same can be said for various others you note.

Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about George Washington Carver so I will reserve judgement there until I have the chance to research him.

My understanding is that science is about continually questioning, challenging and pushing back the boundries of knowledge, organised religion is about obedience to tenets of faith and belief which leaves little room for experimentation etc. Clearly a conflict of interests.

[edit on 14-9-2007 by Freeborn]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
reply to post by Freeborn

You mean like Johan Keppler, Francis Bacon, Blaise Pascal, Michael Faraday, Samuel F. B. Morse, Louis Pasteur, Joseph Lister, Werner Von Braun or Leonardo Da Vinci???

...ok, none of those people were working on behalf of organised religion, they worked on behalf of science.

Oh! Don't forget George Washington Carver!
Mr. Carver was well known for saying he had asked God to show him how to invent.

then he deluded himself and should have really taken the credit for the things he invented.

If Godless evolution is all you want, you're a fool according to the bible.

AD HOM!

Originally posted by Clearskies
Did you know that adult stem cells have more potential than embryonic cells????

proof?

Why do we need to meddle with human life , needlessly??

attempting to cure as many diseases as possible is "needlessly" meddling in human life?

Greedy 'scientists' will leave morals aside to pursue "frankenstiens"...for profit and fame.

you really have a distorted view of things... scientists don't really have any fame and don't make much money...
let's see... stephen hawking, known for his books... that's the reason he's famous and has money... his books. not because of his scientific discoveries...

scientific discovery amounts to little in the way of wealth and fame...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join